Increased prices in the fun shops (water, etc) today

psikic

Have some not noticed the water prices on other lines?  NCL shows 6 liters for $19.95, while Royal shows like 24 16 ounce cans being $29.  

While I do remember at one time Carnival had the water for $2.95 a few years ago, we have only purchased it like twice in the past. Generally with getting the drink package we have just gotten waters that way.  

• Like 1

carnival is no longer a special vacation in my opinion. I put up with the cut-rate experience with Spirit because I am flying somewhere I need to be. I don’t need to be on a cruise so I do not need to put up with the cutbacks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

Have some not noticed the water prices on other lines?  NCL shows 6 liters for $19.95, while Royal shows like 24 16 ounce cans being $29.  

While I do remember at one time Carnival had the water for $2.95 a few years ago, we have only purchased it like twice in the past. Generally with getting the drink package we have just gotten waters that way.  

It's pointless to mention. The prices of many things have already been higher on many lines, prices on everything at the grocery have gone up. When Carnival does it, it is the end of the world, and makes no sense. Some people really need a new hobby. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Every now and then I do a double-take when I look at the price of the food/supplies I buy at the grocery store.

I bought a frozen turkey yesterday at Publix for Thanksgiving.  I seem to recall in previous years the price for a Publix brand turkey was 79 cents a pound or something.

I paid $2/lb yesterday.  And they had three turkeys total on offer, two Publix and one Butterball.  

The supply chain / inflation / price gouging stuff is really quite distressing. And I can afford it - I just reduce disposable income spending in other areas (like cruises...).  But some people are really getting hit hard.

So this water price increase is not surprising.  Unfortunate, but not surprising...

• Like 2

The thing is that these expenses are optional.  If you don’t like it, say no.  If enough people do Carnival will either lower the price or stop offering it entirely. 

At some point, it'd cost them more to stock it.  Probably not anywhere close yet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Except that Carnival needs every penny at this point.  The dispensers are a capital expenditure (albeit small), and the easier they make it to fill your own bottle the less water (which they just doubled the price by the case) people buy. 

Again, Carnival caring about the environment only when it's in their financial interest.

I understand the convenience of water bottles on the ship - I've purchased them in the past. I also purchase them from time to time at home to keep on hand.

But, let's be honest here - people upset about not being able to buy plastic bottles of water aren't all that "caring about the environment". Water bottle dispensers (like in the airport) would be amazing. In this case, if Carnival only cares about the environment "only when it's in their financial interest", then I would posit that Carnival's passengers only care about the environment when it's convenient. And please refer to my first paragraph when I state that I also purchase bottled water from time to time. You can't slam Carnival for not caring when their passengers are like-minded, in my opinion.

• Like 3

On 11/3/2022 at 7:11 AM, WheresWalter said:

Yep, use a fresh cup, dump the water into your bottle. As long as you don't drink from the cup you can repeat the process until you are done. 

definitely saw multiple people/day refilling water containers at the buffet on last cruise.   most really struggled getting the ice in the cup.  (we ate at the buffet for dinner each night and, oddly, we sat by the water station each time.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

definitely saw multiple people/day refilling water containers at the buffet on last cruise.   most really struggled getting the ice in the cup.  (we ate at the buffet for dinner each night and, oddly, we sat by the water station each time.  

The wide mouth water containers are definitely easier to refill on a cruise ship than the one with the narrow necks. 🙂 

So we go from being able to bring bottle water on ship, then to having to pay $4.95 for pack now they doubled it to $9.95. As a Diamond VIFP, this is getting old when each month Carnival keeps increasing prices or cutting back services etc., I know it is a tough situation with inflation, but $10 for a 12 pack of bottle water is crazy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

Someone also told me just now that you can’t order liquor through bon voyage to the room any more either? Does anyone know this to be true? ( I’m not cruising with my husband this time so it might not be an issue for me anyway… just wanted to know). 

Thanks. 

Yes, it’s true.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JT1962 said:

Yes, it’s true.  

Thanks well, that is a bummer. It’s never worth it for us to do cheers because I don’t really drink alcohol and my husband preferred to mix his own drinks. This time, I’m going in a group cruise and rooming with my 25 year old son. I’m perfectly happy with water and lemonade and maybe one pina colada each cruise. Alcohol makes my restless arms and legs act up. 

What does being a Diamond VIFP have to do with bottled water costing more? Also, show me any non-grocery business that charges less than $1 per bottled water. They all overcharge for something that is free. 

I swear, Carnival is better off just raising fares. People could have their fare raised by $100 and not think twice, but having those "$5 nickel and dimes" just ruins their lives.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

As a matter of good hygiene and courtesy to others, please observe the posted signs by the water dispensers asking everyone to refill  water bottles by using clean cups, rather than placing used water bottles near or against the water dispenser. Thanks!!

• Like 5

It is good that the bottled water costs more because then people won't buy it as much, and less plastic water bottles being thrown away will be saving the Environment.

I know some people don't care about the environment or a cleaner world for future generations.

Edited by CarnivalShips480
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Joebucks said:

I swear, Carnival is better off just raising fares. People could have their fare raised by $100 and not think twice, but having those "$5 nickel and dimes" just ruins their lives.

I agree with the theory. However, if they could raise fares and still fill their ships, I think they certainly would. They are probably pricing at a level to get at or near 100% occupancy and then hoping to make up that low entry price with onboard spending ... Water, specialty dining, shore tours.

• Like 1