Buenos Aries - What to do?

CDNPolar

We have 5 days total prior to our cruise starting in Buenos Aries.

I would love to hear from my Viking  travellers what they recommend to do in Buenos Aries?  We are doing this extension on our own and looking for suggestions.

We want to "experience" Buenos Aries culture, food, and top sites.

Walking tours...  day trips...  restaurants...  recommended local tour companies....

Thank you!

Only had a day there as a stop over, but the cemetery where Eva Peron is buried is fascinating, well it was to us as Brits, where we have no cemeteries like it. It’s amazing, a mini city of the most impressive tombs.  We walked around BA and I loved it.  

• Like 1

Recommend spending a day or at least a good part of one in the Caminito section.  Lots of interesting colorful places, restaurants/bars with Tango dancers performing right in front of you.  Plenty of local artists and things to do.  A walking district.  We had a lady take us around BA in her car and she navigated us through Caminito well.  Interpreter, etc.  Sorry but for the life of me I can't recall her name.  We found her searching online by reading reviews at Trip Advisor and other sites and she came up numerous times with good reviews.  Pick up and drop off right at the pier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Only had a day there as a stop over, but the cemetery where Eva Peron is buried is fascinating, well it was to us as Brits, where we have no cemeteries like it. It’s amazing, a mini city of the most impressive tombs.  We walked around BA and I loved it.  

The name of the cemetery is Recoleta. While you're there, say hello to all the residents -- including Eva and hundreds of wandering cats.

• Like 4

We had a week in BA and loved it. We took an overnight to Iguazu Falls -- first flight out, second to last to return, stayed in the hotel in the park -- all of which I arranged on my own. We kept our BA hotel room and left everything there except an overnight bag (so, yes we paid for two hotels for that night).

We never made it to the cemetery but we did see a number of museums. Museo Jose Hernandez was my favorite.

We took a day trip (on our own; no guide) to San Antonio de Areco just to see the Gaucho Museum. (http://www.museoguiraldes.areco.gob.ar/)  We learned when we got there that the town closes down for siesta; the only thing that was open was the restaurants. Still, it was a fun day.

I found a free walking tour but that was 2009, so no telling if it is still available.

We never made it to an asado or an asado restaurant.☹️ We did go to a "milonga" to watch the tango dancing.😊 This was not one of the tango shows but a dance club where everybody was dancing -- except us. We wandered the street fair in San Telmo on Sunday morning; I don't know if that is still going on. That was a lot of fun.

• Like 3

Spend a couple days and go see Iguazu falls.  Make the effort to see both the Argentinian and Brazilian side, both are gorgeous.  We went on our own after we got off the cruise, then flew back to BA and spent another couple days sightseeing before.  We did the HOHO bus routes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

Spend a couple days and go see Iguazu falls.  Make the effort to see both the Argentinian and Brazilian side, both are gorgeous.  We went on our own after we got off the cruise, then flew back to BA and spent another couple days sightseeing before.  We did the HOHO bus routes.

We spent a few days at the falls in 2000 toward the end of our 6-week trip around South America. Quite a sight on both sides!

• Like 2

Hi!

We visited BA a few year ago and ate a lot of steak! Delicious and inexpensive.

We went to the zoo for half a day and enjoyed it.

We also took a full day tour to an Estancia from I think this tour company.

I don't remember paying that much though.

https://www.tangol.com/eng/argentina/buenos-aires/day-tours/ranch-day-tour/estancia-don-silvano-ranch-day-fiesta-gaucha_t_635

From what I remember you get the best exchange rate with crisp unused $100 USD bills.

We stayed at the Hilton and it was a good location and a lovely hotel.

Hope that helps! Have fun!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sleep7 said:

Hi!

We visited BA a few year ago and ate a lot of steak! Delicious and inexpensive.

We went to the zoo for half a day and enjoyed it.

We also took a full day tour to an Estancia from I think this tour company.

I don't remember paying that much though.

https://www.tangol.com/eng/argentina/buenos-aires/day-tours/ranch-day-tour/estancia-don-silvano-ranch-day-fiesta-gaucha_t_635

From what I remember you get the best exchange rate with crisp unused $100 USD bills.

We stayed at the Hilton and it was a good location and a lovely hotel.

Hope that helps! Have fun!

Any purchases, try to pay in US$.  When we were there last year, I bought a pair of handmade shoes.  I paid $100, but had I charged them to my credit card, it would have hit my account at around $250.  I just used crisp $20.

• Like 2

My recommendations are over 10 years old so take them with a grain of salt…

-visit the Casa Rosada so you can stand on “that” balcony and pretend to be Evita 

-take nothing valuable with you when our and about. BA is the only place we have been pickpocketed. In our case by a nice couple “helping” us after we were “blessed” by a bird with diarrhea (in reality likely a third member of the team on a rooftop). Luckily for us, when we realized what was going on, they dropped  DH’s wallet (taken from his zippered cargo pants front pocket without him knowing) after removing only cash. 

-spend time in San Telmo exploring the square. When we were there there was a wonderful market on Sundays and lots of folks dancing (no need to pay to watch a tango show!). 

-visit the old port area-Puerto Madero. Now mostly restaurants and such, it was a busy and interesting neighbor hood and includes the “Stiletto” bridge by Calatrava. image.thumb.jpeg.694881df2ca3048aec413ca669c935cd.jpeg

• Like 3

We spent 4 full days in Buenos Aires after our South America cruise in Jan 2020 (and after several days wine tasting in Mendoza and hiking around Iguazu Falls).  We stayed at the Hilton which was a decent location. 

I highly recommend doing an Asado Adventure.  We did Frank's Asado Adventure.  It was a very unique time - as he takes you shopping for the food and then you help him put it all together!

https://www.asadoadventure.com/our-tours

Wish we'd had time for the beer tour also!

We took several "free" walking tours as well that were outstanding.   And we explored on our own several different areas of Buenos Aires.  Took a tour of Teatra Colon, the opera house.  Only wish there had been a performance when we were there.  And of course, the food in this great city is amazing!!  So much to do, 4 days was not enough.  We'll be back someday!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We spent 4 full days in Buenos Aires after our South America cruise in Jan 2020 (and after several days wine tasting in Mendoza and hiking around Iguazu Falls).  We stayed at the Hilton which was a decent location. 

I highly recommend doing an Asado Adventure.  We did Frank's Asado Adventure.  It was a very unique time - as he takes you shopping for the food and then you help him put it all together!

https://www.asadoadventure.com/our-tours

Wish we'd had time for the beer tour also!

We took several "free" walking tours as well that were outstanding.   And we explored on our own several different areas of Buenos Aires.  Took a tour of Teatra Colon, the opera house.  Only wish there had been a performance when we were there.  And of course, the food in this great city is amazing!!  So much to do, 4 days was not enough.  We'll be back someday!

Frank is unfortunately no longer doing his Asado meals.  I spoke with him this spring.  He gave me a couple of recommendations but they never returned my queries.  Frank was lovely and his Asado fantastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PRH said:

Frank is unfortunately no longer doing his Asado meals.  I spoke with him this spring.  He gave me a couple of recommendations but they never returned my queries.  Frank was lovely and his Asado fantastic.

Oh so sorry to hear.  Frank was the greatest!  

• Like 1

My comments echo Clay C

Have been twice for 4-5 days post and pre cruise 2 years apart. We were warned to take care security-wise and were grateful. Both fit in our 50s at that time (6 years ago) we did not take valuables and at all times were wary of our surroundings. We were followed once on the first trip and twice on the second. One a solo suited male, the other two a tag team operation of young and old. In both instances we made sure we were in a safe area near security when we turned and looked at them to acknowledge they had been spotted. At no time did we lead them back to our hotel. I’m not a fearmonger - just saying to keep your eye out.

Our first trip was near Florida mall - very rough at that time. Next we stayed in the Recoleta area which was nicer but still had its issues. 
Highly recommend the cemetery - we spent hours there, Iguazu Falls trip (did 3 days) and the Ho-Ho bus for orientation. It’s an interesting place.

• Like 1