Any news of RCCL going back to in person muster drills?

t18c97

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

You don't think there will be mass panic if a ship is going down no matter what kind of muster was done? If Lady O started going down you really think people are going to head to the Comedy Club? 

Unfortunately, I've always thought a mass panic would happen.  Thank goodness we don't have to go back to our cabins anymore for life jackets.  I'm sure the cruise lines know this is just human nature.  The best thing to know is what deck the lifeboats are boarded on and follow crew directions.  I've cruised for many years and hopfully for many more without ever having an emergency onboard.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ddled said:

Cruise Director on Allure says that no way because someone up in Royal developed the app and will not change it.  

Royal doesn’t get to make the choice. The International Maritime Organization has only approved E muster on an experimental basis. If the IMO does not approve E muster on a permanent basis, then all cruise lines will have to go back to in person musters. Or quit sailing from any of the IMO signatory nations. Such as the United States.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoperDK said:

The best thing to know is what deck the lifeboats are boarded on and follow crew directions. 

The best thing to know is WHERE YOUR MUSTER STATION IS.  That's for the passengers.  Old or new muster, that's taken care of. 

I understand the point the crew needs to have experience on "herding cats", which the current emuster doesn't provide.  

3 hours ago, ddled said:

Cruise Director on Allure says that no way because someone up in Royal developed the app and will not change it.  

Nick Weir, the RCI Entertainment SVP,  developed and patented the eMuster process.  And as with most any patent submitted by an employee, the company owns the patent too.  The patent request was submitted in September 2019, before Covid became a thing so it was not a response to the virus.  Nick has been tweeting about this over the past few days.  He had been working on the process for 10 years.

Edited by Anton
update info

38 minutes ago, Anton said:

Nick Weir, the RCI Entertainment SVP,  developed and patented the eMuster process.  And as with most any patent submitted by an employee, the company owns the patent too.  The patent request was submitted in September 2019, before Covid became a thing so it was not a response to the virus.  Nick has been tweeting about this over the past few days.  He had been working on the process for 10 years.

Not that I know anything about Nick Weir and his patent.  I think RCCL and others have been trying to come up with ways to streamline the Muster Station requirement for decades.  I remember when everybody had to go out the the outside deck, next to their assigned lifeboat, wearing the life vest, in the hot/cold/whatever.  Then they changed it to places like the main theatre listened to the CD or Captain and then watch a movie.  And now, it's so much better than it was a while ago.  But, I think they can still tweak it a little more and make it even better.

I wonder if a text that my husband and I both received today is related to improving the e-muster.  The text told us to report to our Muster Stations (E3 in Wonder's Bionic Bar) to have our sea passes scanned.  This will be our Muster Station for our next cruise on May 21, 2023.   I wonder if this is a tactic to prod people to complete their e-muster.  We're used to announcements for people to complete the drill all afternoon on embarkation day.  I think this may have been a practice drill that went viral when it wasn't supposed to.   But if this is a new tactic that can make e-muster more successful, I was glad to get the rouge text -- especially as other cruise lines are going back to traditional muster and there could be International Maritime Organization pressure for RCI to go back to in-person muster.  As I've posted earlier, we really like e-muster.    

Did anyone else get a text like we got?  

Edited by SherriZ366

1 minute ago, SherriZ366 said:

I wonder if a text that my husband and I both received today is related to improving the e-muster.  The text told us to report to our Muster Stations (E3 in Wonder's Bionic Bar) to have our sea passes scanned.  This will be our Muster Station for our next cruise on May 21, 2023.   I wonder if this is a tactic to prod people to complete their e-muster.  We're used to announcements for people to complete the drill all afternoon on embarkation day.  I think this may have been a practice drill that went viral when it wasn't supposed to.   But if this is a new tactic that can make e-muster more successful, I was glad to get the rouge text -- especially as other cruise lines are going back to traditional muster and there could be International Maritime Organization pressure for RCI to go back to in-person muster.  As I've posted earlier, we really like e-muster.    

I got a similar notification from the app today, something like "You have 30 minutes to complete your safety check-in" (or whatever they call it).  I don't cruise until February 26.

1 minute ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I got a similar notification from the app today, something like "You have 30 minutes to complete your safety check-in" (or whatever they call it).  I don't cruise until February 26.

That's exactly what the text said and it quickly disappeared from our text strings.   Maybe we got the text as we were originally booked on Wonder for Feb. 26 in a cabin that would have had E3-Bionic Bar as our Muster station.  We changed to a May cruise.  

3 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Seems like a lot of people got this. I chalked it up to Royals IT problems.

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What problems? 🤔😄

It was probably a text set up to go to passengers on a future cruise that was sent by mistake.  One poster who got the text was on a cruise later this month that we were booked on but had to change.  

14 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

It was probably a text set up to go to passengers on a future cruise that was sent by mistake.  One poster who got the text was on a cruise later this month that we were booked on but had to change.  

I was joking. RCI's IT is notorious for issues. 

• Like 1