passport expiration date a problem with online check in

susiesan

I went to check in online for my upcoming cruise Dec. 4. When I filled out the passport info, it said "All guests must travel with a passport that is valid six months after the disembarkation date." Apparently my passport expiration date is outside that time frame. So I changed the  expiration date to one month later and the online check in took. What difference does it make to Oceania how many days I have left on my passport for a cruise from Miami returning to Miami as a US citizen? The US will let me back in.

Be careful, it is not an Oceania rule. Check ASAP because you could be bounced from the cruise before you even board. Check on your Passport renewal, even with your Post Office or their WEBSITE. 

My understanding is this is a serious issue. 
Good Luck, Mauibabes 

• Like 6

In my experience, 6 months is a pretty standard (although I won't say universal) requirement any time a U.S. citizen travels outside the US (and non-citizens visiting the US). I can't remember how many times I've run to check our passports to make sure we don't need a renewal before a trip. Passport renewals are relatively cheap compared to other aspects of travel, so we try to renew during travel dry-spells, not just before they are due. I can't remember turn-around time, but the expedited renewal might get turned around in time (fingers crossed for you!).

It could be a serious problem. The 6-month rule is clearly stated in the Important Information section of the Guest Statement sent you when you booked.  It's not an Oceania rule, but rather a rule set up by most countries. Oceania could be fined if they don't check your passport for compliance.  Although such a rule would not prevent you from re-entering the US,  you could be denied entry to the ports.  Oceania scans your passport on embarkation and they could catch it then.  I wonder how Oceania would react if they determined you filed false information at check-in...information that Oceania has to provide to the foreign ports' immigration folks?

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 4

It looks like you've just missed the window for an expedited renewal via mail or acceptance facility.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

However, you can still get one at a passport agency or center starting soon: (in part - see link above) "Urgent Travel Service: Schedule an appointment if you are traveling internationally within 14 calendar days or need a foreign visa within 28 calendar days. Call 1-877-487-2778 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET, Mondays through Fridays. Our appointment line for Urgent Travel Service is closed on weekends and federal holidays."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

It could be a serious problem. The 6-month rule is clearly stated in the Important Information section of the Guest Statement sent you when you booked.  It's not an Oceania rule, but rather a rule set up by most countries. Oceania could be fined if they don't check your passport for compliance.  Although such a rule would not prevent you from re-entering the US,  you could be denied entry to the ports.  Oceania scans your passport on embarkation and they could catch it then.  I wonder how Oceania would react if they determined you filed false information at check-in...information that Oceania has to provide to the foreign ports' immigration folks?

It is an Oceania rule, because it's required of all passengers even if the laws of the countries you're visiting do not require it. 

Few Caribbean countries require six months passport validity for cruise passengers...in fact most participate in the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and will accept US citizen passengers on a closed loop cruise not having a passport at all. Most, as well as the US, require as little as a birth certificate and drivers license for these cruises. Even without bothering to check the OP's itinerary there's pretty good chance that none of the ports of call mandate a passport with six months remaining validity...BUT...because Oceania does you have to comply.

If the OP's passport doesn't comply they will be denied boarding.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

In my experience, 6 months is a pretty standard (although I won't say universal) requirement any time a U.S. citizen travels outside the US (and non-citizens visiting the US). I can't remember how many times I've run to check our passports to make sure we don't need a renewal before a trip. Passport renewals are relatively cheap compared to other aspects of travel, so we try to renew during travel dry-spells, not just before they are due. I can't remember turn-around time, but the expedited renewal might get turned around in time (fingers crossed for you!).

The six month rule is not as common as you think. If you look at the following document from US Customs and Border Protection you'll see that the US does not impose a six month rule for citizens of about 130 counties. Citizens of the listed countries only need a passport valid for their intended length of stay. As these rules are often reciprocal, in many cases US citizens visiting these countries will not need six months validity on their passports.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2022-Mar/Six-Month Passport Validity Update 20220316.pdf

There are also some countries that have a three month rule.

Few Caribbean countries have a six month requirement for US citizens, particularly cruise passengers, and in most cases US citizens on a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean don't legally need a passport at all. Most closed loop itineraries can be cruised with as little as a drivers license and birth certificate.

However all that is irrelevant if you're on an Oceania cruise because Oceania requires all passengers to have six months validity on their passports regardless of whether your cruise's ports of call require it. You agree to those terms when booking an Oceania cruise and if you don't comply you'll be denied boarding.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The six month rule is not as common as you think. If you look at the following document from US Customs and Border Protection you'll see that the US does not impose a six month rule for citizens of about 130 counties. Citizens of the listed countries only need a passport valid for their intended length of stay. As these rules are often reciprocal, in many cases US citizens visiting these countries will not need six months validity on their passports.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2022-Mar/Six-Month Passport Validity Update 20220316.pdf

There are also some countries that have a three month rule.

Few Caribbean countries have a six month requirement for US citizens, particularly cruise passengers, and in most cases US citizens on a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean don't legally need a passport at all. Most closed loop itineraries can be cruised with as little as a drivers license and birth certificate.

However all that is irrelevant if you're on an Oceania cruise because Oceania requires all passengers to have six months validity on their passports regardless of whether your cruise's ports of call require it. You agree to those terms when booking an Oceania cruise and if you don't comply you'll be denied boarding.

Yes, but 5 of the 8 ports on this itinerary have the 6 months rule.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Yes, but 5 of the 8 ports on this itinerary have the 6 months rule.

What's the itinerary? Even if some of the ports require a passport, they may not require six months validity, particularly for cruise passengers, who are typically considered to be "in transit" and often not subject to the same rules as air arrivals.

17 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

What's the itinerary? Even if some of the ports require a passport, they may not require six months validity, particularly for cruise passengers, who are typically considered to be "in transit" and often not subject to the same rules as air arrivals.

I looked at the itinerary for the Dec. 4 Oceania cruise out of Miami. None of the countries have a six month beyond leaving their country rule. If it were a more lenient cruise line, a U.S.citizen could make the trip with just a driver license and a birth certificate or just an enhanced drivers license which a few states like my own issue. Seems like the question is how firm Oceania will be about enforcing their own 6 month rule.

23 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The itinerary is Dec 4 departure, Miami to Miami.  I did research all the ports...it's  not my job...but her is what Granada Embassy says:

CRUISE SHIP PASSENGERS 1701 NEW HAMPSHIRE AVE., N.W. WASHINGTON, D.C.  20009 Cruise ship passengers of any nationality who intend to remain on the island of Grenada for less than twenty–four (24) hours do not require a visa to enter Grenada. You do, however, require a passport valid for at least six (6) months from your date of return to your country. If you will be in Grenada for more than twenty–four (24) hours or you will stay over night in Grenada you will need to check the “Who Needs a Visa” section of the website in order to determine whether or not nationals of your country require visas to enter Grenada.

2 minutes ago, edgee said:

I looked at the itinerary for the Dec. 4 Oceania cruise out of Miami. None of the countries have a six month beyond leaving their country rule. If it were a more lenient cruise line, a U.S.citizen could make the trip with just a driver license and a birth certificate or just an enhanced drivers license which a few states like my own issue. Seems like the question is how firm Oceania will be about enforcing their own 6 month rule.

I look at each country on the Dept of State website, and 6 say a the 6 months rule.  Where are you looking?

21 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I look at each country on the Dept of State website, and 6 say a the 6 months rule.  Where are you looking?

Problem is that most all countries in the Caribbean are part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative that allow closed looped US  cruises without passports. These cruise line exceptions are often not listed on websites of those governments. One can usually find them on tourist websites. In the case of Grenada the cruise exception is listed on the Sandals Grenada website as well as a few travel agencies. Not worth the energy to do a more exhaustive search unless one is extremely curious or is trying to challenge Oceania's rules, which seems quite risky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Not worth the energy to do a more exhaustive search unless one is extremely curious or is trying to challenge Oceania's rules, which seems quite risky.

One has to assume that Oceania will enforce the passport requirement because it's spelled out in their Terms and Conditions:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/terms-conditions/

"Any guest traveling without the proper documentation will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of cruise fare or any other travel components purchased from Oceania Cruises will be issued. Passports must be valid six months from the date of trip completion."

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

The passports expire June 13, we disembark Dec. 18. The cruise is in 21 days. I do not live in a city with a passport office. There is no time to renew it now., with expedite service, especially with Thanksgiving holidays coming up and state department offices closed.

I see nothing in Oceania's terms and conditions that a passport is the only form of ID acceptable for Caribbean cruises. This is what it says: Passport and Visa requirements, and regulations in regards to vaccination certificates and other health requirements vary by destination. There is nothing stating that a passport is the only acceptable ID to be used to board a cruise.

If Caribbean countries don't require a passport on closed loop cruises then a drivers license should be acceptable. 

I cannot believe that Oceania would deny boarding to a paid in full past passenger for missing the fine print of a rule only they have by 5 days. I will call them tomorrow to see what they say. I hope they do the right thing under the circumstances. I cannot be the only person who has run into this. I've been on over 50 cruises and have never ever had this come up.

Edited by susiesan

8 hours ago, susiesan said:

I went to check in online for my upcoming cruise Dec. 4. When I filled out the passport info, it said "All guests must travel with a passport that is valid six months after the disembarkation date." Apparently my passport expiration date is outside that time frame. So I changed the  expiration date to one month later and the online check in took. What difference does it make to Oceania how many days I have left on my passport for a cruise from Miami returning to Miami as a US citizen? The US will let me back in.

I think there is a 24 hour passport  renewal  in Miami maybe you could tavel 2 days earlier  and get it there ?? Good Luck 

Edited by roger b
Spelling

9 hours ago, susiesan said:

The passports expire June 13, we disembark Dec. 18. The cruise is in 21 days. I do not live in a city with a passport office. There is no time to renew it now., with expedite service, especially with Thanksgiving holidays coming up and state department offices closed.

I see nothing in Oceania's terms and conditions that a passport is the only form of ID acceptable for Caribbean cruises. This is what it says: Passport and Visa requirements, and regulations in regards to vaccination certificates and other health requirements vary by destination. There is nothing stating that a passport is the only acceptable ID to be used to board a cruise.

If Caribbean countries don't require a passport on closed loop cruises then a drivers license should be acceptable. 

I cannot believe that Oceania would deny boarding to a paid in full past passenger for missing the fine print of a rule only they have by 5 days. I will call them tomorrow to see what they say. I hope they do the right thing under the circumstances. I cannot be the only person who has run into this. I've been on over 50 cruises and have never ever had this come up.

The right thing is to follow regulations, and ensure you read the guest statement when you signed up for the cruise. Being such a well seasoned traveler it seems strange that you choose to ignore this.  Blaming Oceania for your decision not to renew and falsifying info .......

Edited by kibutzer
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, edgee said:

Problem is that most all countries in the Caribbean are part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative that allow closed looped US  cruises without passports. These cruise line exceptions are often not listed on websites of those governments. One can usually find them on tourist websites. In the case of Grenada the cruise exception is listed on the Sandals Grenada website as well as a few travel agencies. Not worth the energy to do a more exhaustive search unless one is extremely curious or is trying to challenge Oceania's rules, which seems quite risky.

@edgee I am tring to understand the WHTI, and can't see a document that says passports are not required for Caribbean travel. What I see seems to apply to re-entry to the US. The online document has this caveat:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and governmentissued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Can you post I site I could learn more?