Paradise Nov 5th hurricane delay

highflyingrealtor

We were on the Nov 5th sailing that spent an extra day at sea because of hurricane Nicole. Some may think that’s a bonus but for those of us that had to rebook flights, miss work, pay extra parking and pet boarding, it turns into a considerable extra expense. We have insurance through Carnival and filed a claim but uncertain of being reimbursed. What surprised me is that Carnival offered no compensation for the inconvenience at all. They gave us “free” internet but with everyone trying to use it, it was of little to no use. We’ve had these itinerary delays happen on Princess several times and always had received some form of compensation. Surprised also to not have seen any other posts here on this occurrence. Thoughts anyone?

We were on Magic and while the storm didn’t impact our cruise (southern Caribbean), we did have to debark at a different terminal than we embarked due to electrical issues. What a huge cluster….. that was! Busses had to take you and your luggage to the embark terminal. Total chaos! Was ok I suppose if you had no special needs. We had 2 scooters in our group of 6, one can’t walk up steps to get in a bus, the other can but not easily. There was no accommodation for ADA compliance, no bus and no one knew what they were doing trying to load busses. After about 45 minutes of that, we finally had two get on a bus to the other terminal and get the cars and come pick us up. All in all, it took over 2 hours just for us to get out of the terminal and on the road home. We actually left at about the time we usually arrived home! I sure hope this never happens again! I think carnival could have done a better job by letting one or two groups go out and get to the busses before they released others. What really gets me now is that none of our group has received a survey! Guess they know what we’ll all say. Bad beginning at embark, raining like heck, then that happens at the end. Had a good cruise tho!

While we never buy CCL insurance, we did have a claim through our "outside" travel insurance last February when a snowstorm hit NY as we debarked our cruise and our flight from Miami was cancelled for 2 days.  Our insurance paid for our hotel and food under trip delay.  While you have a different circumstance (you were kind of not delayed, but extended) it will be interesting to see how Carnival handles your claim.  Please keep us posted.

Edited by pe4all

Sorry for your inconvenience.  Hazards of travel to anywhere that nature can impact.  Hopefully you were able to rebook flights even with the slow internet.  But yes, cruise insurance should cover additional costs like rebooking fees, check your policy.   Not sure what additional compensation could have been offered.  No port fees to be reimbursed.  Free drinks maybe?

On 11/16/2022 at 12:56 PM, hapytobehr said:

So let me get this straight, You want Carnival to compensate you for an act of nature?

That's the risk of taking a cruise during hurricane season!

As I had mentioned, we’ve had similar delays on Princess and they did give us future cruise credits for compensation. Their cruise insurance also covered our additional cost (flights and hotel). CCL owns Princess so you would think they would all follow the same protocol. It’s called retaining customers and keeping them happy 😀.

• Like 1

Hey, I was on this cruise with you.  What a miserable sea day we had.  Right behind the storm and that boat was a-rockin! 

I agree, even though it's not Carnival's fault, they could have offered something for the inconvenience.  As one who paid for their internet, once they offered it to everyone, my service was seriously degraded and not what I would have liked.  I also had the Cheers package and it would have been nice to be offered either discounted drinks or add a day to the package.  The only thing "given" to everyone was a free bingo game offering a free cruise.  

I was fortunate in that I drove to the port and had the extra day off work so there were no costs incurred as a result of the delay but it was not expected and a major inconvenience to most passengers.  Yes, I know the weather cannot be controlled.  Yes, I know you have to expect things like this occasionally.  What matters is how it's handled by the company and in my opinion, they could have done more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

I thought I had read that Carnival extended the cheers package for all that had purchased.

The letter read "Anyone who purchased a beverage package may have their package extended at the pre-cruise price by visiting any one of our bars".  So yeah, it was extended for $54+ on your account. 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 10:10 PM, highflyingrealtor said:

We were on the Nov 5th sailing that spent an extra day at sea because of hurricane Nicole.What surprised me is that Carnival offered no compensation for the inconvenience at all. Surprised also to not have seen any other posts here on this occurrence. Thoughts anyone?

If one wishes to be fair, you owe Carnival for the extra day at sea.  

The fact that there was no charge for the extended cruise is the compensation.

The fact that there was no consideration before  booking of  all the "what ifs" that can occur and cause "inconveniences"" when taking any trip is not the cruise line's problem. 

• Like 1