We Did The Impossible!

hillbillycruisers

Last week we were on the Vista for a seven day cruise...and both my wife and I did something I never thought possible...we did carry on only, with no checked luggage. Not long ago, this seemed impossible, and I was always a bit jealous of those who could pull it off. It actually went well...probably better for me than my wife...but she managed. When I think back to our first cruises, we were bringing on way more than we needed. This cruise, we both had a rolling carry-on and a backpack. I even managed to bring my c-pap and 14 cans of soda. We learned a few things, and will be doing it again on our next cruise in January! 😀

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I typically will either do one large checked bag, or two carry ons, for a Carnival cruise because we don't really need extra shoes or dressy clothes etc so it's easy. We might wear on some nicer clothes on embarkation day so we have options if we want to dress up during the cruise.

When I say carry ons I mean an airline-sized carry on piece of luggage. We will still check them with Carnival during embarkation so we don't have to deal with it until it gets delivered later on in the afternoon.

• Like 3

Well done OP.  We admit that being Plat helps (laundry).  We can now do any cruise on Carnival with two carry-on suitcases and two backpacks.  Well, with one exception..... Alaska.  Warm weather gear is just too bulky to make that happen.

• Like 2

Kudos to you!

We do airline sized carryons and a backpack for our 7 day cruises. For us, it’s worth it to be completely unpacked by 3pm on embarkation day. 

I struggle with the idea for an AK cruise, or an itinerary beyond 9 days. But I think if we plan to do laundry halfway through, we can do it. 

• Like 2

Roll your clothes - saves on space. Realize No One notices what you're wearing from day to day. Be comfortable. Relax. Set out the clothes you plan to need... pack half of what you laid out... and you'll have one carry on and one backpack each. 23 cruises in and I pack less and less each time. (make a note of what you Didn't end up wearing on the previous cruise and you'll realize how much you've over packed)

(I just came back from a land vacation to the Northeast with 1 carry-on and a backpack - 6 days  - and realized that I'd packed 4 more shirts and 1 more sweater than I needed. I packed 3 pairs of pants, 8 shirts, 3 sweaters, undies, nightgown, leisure wear, 2 pairs of shoes and socks... and a down jacket. All fit in a carry-on and a backpack and I had over packed!) It's a challenge --- have Fun!

• Like 3

My daughter and I each do one overhead-bin-sized rollon and one backpack for every trip, including three-week trips to Europe.  Makes all the difference in the world in terms of mobility and efficiently spending your time doing what you want to do instead of managing luggage (porters, airports, etc.)  Each trip you do it you'll get more and more efficient.  Read Rick Steves' and Fodors tips on travel without check-in luggage for good tips.  Here's one sample... 

• Like 1

Just did a Side by Side, 4 days on Liberty and 7 on Mardi Gras. DH & I, each took our usual carry-on and a small tote bag each. Ever since Formal night became Cruise Elegant night, it's been easy for us.

Doing a B2B, 14 + 7 days in January. We're turning Diamond on that one, so unlimited free laundry. Carry-ons as usual. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jemrtt said:

Kudos to you!

We do airline sized carryons and a backpack for our 7 day cruises. For us, it’s worth it to be completely unpacked by 3pm on embarkation day. 

I struggle with the idea for an AK cruise, or an itinerary beyond 9 days. But I think if we plan to do laundry halfway through, we can do it. 

Yeah.  Let me tell you about AK on Princess (where we don't have laundry privileges).  We know how to economize. But it still took 1 checked, 2 carry on and 2 backpacks.  Here's how we managed laundry. Load #1 at our son's house after a 3 night Seattle visit. Load #2 on day 5 of the northbound cruise. Load #3 on day 4 of our land tour up at the Princess Denali lodge.

Alaska requires layers, a decent mid-weight coat (think Lands End squall jacket), gloves/hat, solid water resistant shoes and way more long sleeves and jeans than anyone takes to the Caribbean.  It's bulky when you leave from the warmth of the lower 48 in summer.  The good news is that Princess does an incredible job of luggage handling on the land portion.  Not really the subject of this thread though.

• Like 1

Love it! I find it's soooo much easier to travel light and either do a small load of laundry somewhere in the middle (can't tell you how many laundry room wine parties I've had with friends on laundry day on land based trips), or purchase a few pieces of clothing while traveling if I need extras of something. I did 7 days Alaska cruise +4 days in Seattle in a carry-on size roller bag and a backpack. One thing I will always and forever overpack though is 2-3 extra pairs of underwear than I think I'll need, which has saved me from feeling gross and uncomfortable a few times with unforeseen travel delays. 

• Like 3

We can fly standby as airline employees, so packing light has been a 35+ year practice that we've applied to our cruising.  Caribbean and Mexico cruises have always been one roller each plus our backpacks.  Alaska is different, but that works out to one extra shared bag.  It helps we don't need snorkel or beach gear, but layers still require a little more room.

• Like 4

My teenage son and I did a nine day Norwegian cruise on the Pride this summer out of Dover (from Toronto) with small tactical backpacks only as we did not want to deal with checked airline baggage and we were fine.  Mind you we wore our jackets and hiking shoes and thickest clothes onto the plane and then just doffed them.  We did a load of laundry half way through and we both had stuff we did not wear. Our family for four plans to do the same for our 8 Magic cruise over Xmas.

• Like 3

We usually drive to Galveston and never have to worry about luggage restrictions - so always over-pack one large suitcase, one carry on & a tote.

In 2 weeks(!) we are flying to Miami for a cruise and I accepted my husband's challenge ... one carry on and a tote.  Not gonna lie, I've been practicing because I'm scared.  Lolol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't spend my time checking out other pax wardrobe. I doubt if anyone notices the difference between my black capris or my navy one's, unless it affects how they will enjoy their cruise. Carnival does my laundry every 2-3 days & delicates get hand washed. We never wear our daytime clothes at dinner either. 

FYI, I'm under 5' tall & less than 100 pounds so my clothes are fairly small.

In the 57 cruises we've been on,  I don't remember what anyone wore.

My Motto, "Look Decent, Don't Smell"!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

I cannot be those people I always see on cruises wearing the same shirt or shorts multiple days and the same outfit to dinner they wore all day. Going to have to just keep checking big bags for me. 

That's just 'them'.  With proper planning it's simply not necessary.  I'll have one pair of dress slacks and 2 shirts in my carry on for the 2 elegant nights.  No problem.  Now what I won't have is an extra pair of dress slacks and 3 extra shirts in case I 'change my mind'.  The goal for both of us is to wear everything we bring. My wife has gotten very good at it honestly so you may see the same of her 2-3 sundresses more than once.

We actually really perfected this on a 2+ week land trip to Bavaria in late winter. Our tour 'required' us to be very limited as we were taking the train between multiple cities and needed to travel light.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, leen50 said:

I don't spend my time checking out other pax wardrobe.

My Motto, "Look Decent, Don't Smell"!

Love it.  Yeah, we always look fine and are wearing clean cloths.  Honestly, being Plat really helps.

Also, and while I kinda miss the days of jacket/tie for elegant night and enjoy when folks decide to do it, not packing that suit bag is great.  Now if we took a big extended family cruise and were planning group pics, then absolutely!

• Like 2

I truly support this idea, I just don't ever see myself being able to do it lol.  I'll be honest, it's not because I'm bringing too much clothing.  I'm pretty standard, but I do like a fresh t-shirt from day to day (I'm clumsy, something will always end up on me, usually coffee).   I don't think I could ever go without my little travel fan, and while small, would take up the whole carry on.  I also can't seem to whittle my toiletries down to a quart-sized back to make it through TSA.

Kudos to all who have beat the system, but it's just not for me!  lol.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, christyran1228 said:

We usually drive to Galveston and never have to worry about luggage restrictions - so always over-pack one large suitcase, one carry on & a tote.

In 2 weeks(!) we are flying to Miami for a cruise and I accepted my husband's challenge ... one carry on and a tote.  Not gonna lie, I've been practicing because I'm scared.  Lolol

Good luck, sister!  Lol.  You're braver than me!

• Haha 1