Notifying in writing about allergies?

bethfelk

Hello everyone. Long time browser of these boards but just now made an account so I can post my question. I couldn't find it answered in any other threads so hopefully someone knows.

We are experienced cruisers but this will be our first time on Princess so don't know exactly how they do it. Myself and another member of our party are gluten free (celiac). I noticed on the Princess website FAQs it says I need to notify Princess in writing 35 days in advance. Has anyone done this recently and have a contact of who to email? Or is this still necessary with the Cruise Personalizer and all that they have now? We have noted gluten free and wheat allergies in our cruise personalizer and medallion app both.

Thanks for the help

35 minutes ago, bethfelk said:

We have noted gluten free and wheat allergies in our cruise personalizer and medallion app both.

That's how I notify them and it has been passed onto the ship although I also tell my HW / server onboard 

The app notification is *extremely* reliable.  It causes blinking user avatars on every foodservice handheld device when your medallion is detected, and it goes into overdrive if something that conflicts is ordered.  For example, I have shellfish marked, and while I eat bivalves just fine, if I order clam chowder, the server is immediately alerted.  As I and others have said here before, Princess is really, really good about handling food allergy these days. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

The app notification is *extremely* reliable.  It causes blinking user avatars on every foodservice handheld device when your medallion is detected, and it goes into overdrive if something that conflicts is ordered.  For example, I have shellfish marked, and while I eat bivalves just fine, if I order clam chowder, the server is immediately alerted.  As I and others have said here before, Princess is really, really good about handling food allergy these days. 

Interesting!  I did not know exactly how the system alerted the waiter/server.  I'd bet that this was NOT written by the same people who di the app!  Otherwise...I'd be somewhat concerned.

I am Celiac and this is my third cruise (on Sapphire now) since diagnosis.   Let me say,it’s not a problem on princess.  I don’t have any faith in the notification being passed down to the food server.  I suggest that you make contact with a heat waiter or manager in the MDR, they will go over safe items with you, and show you the next nights menu.  (And yes, the anytime dining complicates this issue a bit). In the buffet, seek out a head chief.  They are the ones with the tall white hats,  He will walk you around and show you what’s safe.  Ironically, on a Royal Class ship with the massive buffet,  the buffet has many more choices, and really not hard to grab a chief for the walk around.  Everyone has always been very helpful and you do start learning what is safe and get the hang of it.        
You will be fine.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Our SIL has no food allergies but mistakenly put some info in about her food preferences.  In the MDR, her choice was questioned.  She explained the mistake, but they could not override what was in the system.  She had to go to guest services to make the correction.  So, yeah, I agree it is a pretty good system.     

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Welcome to CC...as a new account anyway!  @Ombud has pointed you in the right direction; just note the allergy in the app.  They really want the app to serve almost as the sole communication method these days...even if it is NOT very reliable!

Of the three cruise line apps I've used so far, I found the medallion to be the best overall.  We did not experience any reliability issues.   And, I think we were actually on the same Princess cruise this past October.  Sounds like glitches happen from device to device.  

How does one notify Princess about a low-sodium diet being required?  This is not one of the options in the dining preferences.  Is there another method besides the app?  Anyone's experiences with low-sodium dining would be appreciated.  Thanks!