Le Havre excursion to Versailles

1 hour ago, kj_connections said:

Has anyone done the RCCL excursion from Le Havre to Palace of Versailles?  How long was it?

Also, can anyone check to see if this excursion is on sale for Black Friday?

According to Google maps it's at least 2 hrs 4 min

as others have said, probably not worth doing, especially depending on the day of the week as French traffic is notoriously bad! Was on the France/Spain trip in May this year and others who had booked it felt they spent too long travelling and not enough time at Versailles ... We did the Deauville/Honfleur trip which is an area we've been to often on our own .... charming, quaint towns and only about an hour to get there

Edited by allyfree

We visited Paris for a few days after a river cruise with our daughter (19 at the time) and did a half day skip the line (joke!) Versailles tour. I would not do it again, and would not recommend it. Could have been the heat, could have been a poor tour guide, but honestly, it was nothing more than a packed sea of people and I'm convinced I'd get more out of random YouTube videos. Or maybe some History channel show episode highlighting it.

• This is the only way I can see you doing this:
  • Find a tour that includes/guarantees skip the line that starts after 10am
  • Take Uber to the Graville Le Havre train station
  • The train is 2.5 hours to Versailles Chantiers station, and IF you go before 8am
  • Walk from Chanteirs station to the Palace:  15 - 20 minutes
  • Meet with tour guide at Gate B (pretty sure)
  • Basically you are paying for the quick entrance
  • Do your research of the palace and see what you think is most important to see (I did this when my friend and I went to the Vatican.  I knew the whole museum maze, and mapped us the quickest route through and on to the Sistine Chapel),
  • You should be back on a train by 12-1.

My son and I tried to go from Paris to Versailles Chatiers, and the train was great.  But, he didn't believe me when I said we had to get their EARLY, and we gave up because of the line.

But, we had a delightful sidewalk cafe lunch with "vin light".  Fabulous:  Spring, warm,  delicious food, and a light buzz from the wine.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, kj_connections said:

Thanks everyone.  I've been to Paris and don't foresee going back in the near future...so I was thinking of seeing Versailles if my itinerary includes a stop in Le Havre.

Go to Rouen instead, nice old town at the river Seine and under one hour away.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kj_connections said:

Thanks everyone.  I've been to Paris and don't foresee going back in the near future...so I was thinking of seeing Versailles if my itinerary includes a stop in Le Havre.

One more thought - have you considered looking into a private excursion and seeing if you can get a small group together on your roll call?  Private guides are amazing and know how to avoid long lines.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mek said:

One more thought - have you considered looking into a private excursion and seeing if you can get a small group together on your roll call?  Private guides are amazing and know how to avoid long lines.

We did a private tour for Rome once (also far away port), that included the Vatican.  The guide brought us right in to every spot and knew all the workers.  Was expensive, but well worth it.

As for Versailles, if its on your bucket list, go.  Ive been to Versailles 3 times, all land travel, so defer to those on her for cruise excursion issues.  Versailles is magical and I highly recommend everyone go once in their life.  The palace is incredible and the gardens are beautiful.  I could spend hours just walking the gardens.  Versailles could easily be a half day activity if you have time.

20 hours ago, pcur said:
  • This is the only way I can see you doing this:
  • Find a tour that includes/guarantees skip the line that starts after 10am
  • Take Uber to the Graville Le Havre train station
  • The train is 2.5 hours to Versailles Chantiers station, and IF you go before 8am
  • Walk from Chanteirs station to the Palace:  15 - 20 minutes
  • Meet with tour guide at Gate B (pretty sure)
  • Basically you are paying for the quick entrance
  • Do your research of the palace and see what you think is most important to see (I did this when my friend and I went to the Vatican.  I knew the whole museum maze, and mapped us the quickest route through and on to the Sistine Chapel),
  • You should be back on a train by 12-1.

My son and I tried to go from Paris to Versailles Chatiers, and the train was great.  But, he didn't believe me when I said we had to get their EARLY, and we gave up because of the line.

But, we had a delightful sidewalk cafe lunch with "vin light".  Fabulous:  Spring, warm,  delicious food, and a light buzz from the wine.

Thanks

I was going to book the excursion through RCCL so I am guaranteed to get back on the ship 🙂

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kj_connections said:

Thanks

I was going to book the excursion through RCCL so I am guaranteed to get back on the ship 🙂

That's smart ... paying for a private tour won't avoid the lengthy travel and any delays on the autoroute could compromise your return to the ship

2 hours ago, allyfree said:

That's smart ... paying for a private tour won't avoid the lengthy travel and any delays on the autoroute could compromise your return to the ship

However, you won't have to wait for large group to board the bus before you depart the ship or leave the destination.. If you want to make a potty stop, you won't have to wait in a long line.  You most definitely will save time once you arrive and will see more than a Royal excursion.

I've taken many private tours in Europe and have never missed the ship, but I understand everyone has a different comfort level with private tours.

14 hours ago, kj_connections said:

Thanks

Absolutely your choice, of course!

Tours are subjected to the same traffic issues, though.

See if the ship offers a tour using the TRAIN.  We did this with a ship's tour in Rome. No traffic! Guide went on the train with us.