Formal nights in the Caribbean?

etruriaguy

Apologies if this has been asked before but we are on Arvia in the Caribbean in March.  I’m sure I saw somewhere that they don’t have any formal nights on these trips, is this the case?  Do they only have casual nights? 

many thanks 

🙏 

15 minutes ago, etruriaguy said:

Apologies if this has been asked before but we are on Arvia in the Caribbean in March.  I’m sure I saw somewhere that they don’t have any formal nights on these trips, is this the case?  Do they only have casual nights? 

many thanks 

🙏

As I understand it, Arvia will have the same dress code as Iona with one formal night per week. We have done several Caribbean cruises on most of the other ships and the formal nights were the same as for any other destinations, i.e. 2 per week. Times do change though, is there nothing in the information from P&O that answers your question?

• Like 1

I think the issue might be related to fly cruise itineraries. Formal nights just add an extra tranche of clothing to the luggage weight limits imposed by most carriers.

I know that the majority of P&O cruisers fly on specially chartered aircraft but I'm not sure if the weight limits are more relaxed on those flights than on normal scheduled routes

We did a fly out - sail back cruise on Artemis many moons ago and were on Thomson (TUI) chartered flights then but I can't remember the luggage restrictions back then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zoe sproodle said:

We are on Arvia TA in March and we’re seriously considering not packing formal wear if the routine is the same as Iona.  We do usually enjoy formal nights but we’re wondering if it’s worth it for just 2 evenings.

We have just returned from a Princess cruise which whilst not a TA was a repositioning cruise and as such was similar to a Caribbean cruise (New York to Fort Lauderdale via the ABCs etc) and we decided on modified formal clothes. Instead of taking a DJ hubbie took a couple of smart waistcoats and I took black silk pants and a couple of sequinned tops.  Hardly any weight and more than dressy enough. In fact you’ll probably see me in them again as we are on the Arvia TA also. 

9 hours ago, arlowood said:

I think the issue might be related to fly cruise itineraries. Formal nights just add an extra tranche of clothing to the luggage weight limits imposed by most carriers.

I know that the majority of P&O cruisers fly on specially chartered aircraft but I'm not sure if the weight limits are more relaxed on those flights than on normal scheduled routes

We did a fly out - sail back cruise on Artemis many moons ago and were on Thomson (TUI) chartered flights then but I can't remember the luggage restrictions back then.

23kgs hold luggage and 10 kgs in the overhead lockers when flying back from an Arvia cruise in the Caribbean in January 23. 

8 minutes ago, devonuk said:

23kgs hold luggage and 10 kgs in the overhead lockers when flying back from an Arvia cruise in the Caribbean in January 23. 

And in the premium cabin it's only upgraded to 28kg each, which is abysmal. 🙄

• Like 1

We manage because I make use of the self service launderettes on the ships which helps to reduce the number of dress shirts that DH wears and other things as well . We managed for 4 weeks on Azura last Christmas and New Year like that.

On 11/26/2022 at 3:36 PM, sandancer said:

We have just returned from a Princess cruise which whilst not a TA was a repositioning cruise and as such was similar to a Caribbean cruise (New York to Fort Lauderdale via the ABCs etc) and we decided on modified formal clothes. Instead of taking a DJ hubbie took a couple of smart waistcoats and I took black silk pants and a couple of sequinned tops.  Hardly any weight and more than dressy enough. In fact you’ll probably see me in them again as we are on the Arvia TA also. 

Would have thought a Donkey Jacket was a bit warm in the Caribbean for hubbie ?

28 minutes ago, pennib said:

We manage because I make use of the self service launderettes on the ships which helps to reduce the number of dress shirts that DH wears and other things as well . We managed for 4 weeks on Azura last Christmas and New Year like that.

I do that on most of our cruises. I usually wear a dress shirt twice and as I only have three that's six nights. Then get them all laundered If as I believe our 35 night cruise next year will have around 7 or possible 8 formals that leaves one for the extra one or two nights and two to pack clean.

On 11/26/2022 at 3:36 PM, sandancer said:

Bet you look great in those black silk pants and sequinned top. Surprised they allowed you in the MDR like that though. I went in my boxer shorts and they turned me away.

• Haha 1

Thanks so much for all of your replies.  Very helpful.   

That’s just it, it is the hassle of the flights for us that’s the issue and amount of luggage (shoes,dj’s) etc.  think we will try smarten up our casual night stuff for the two formal nights.   That should do the trick.  So excited for the trip.  

hope you all enjoy your next cruises whenever they are. 🙂