Explorer of the seas refurb

zeberdee

12 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

Don't forget that there is a drydock facility in the Bahamas.

You would think with RCG being part owner of that facility they'd be using it more often but even Enchantment went all the way to Europe last year for her dry dock before returning to service. There seems to be very little cruise ship work at that yard lately.

1 hour ago, stevea36 said:

FWIW, I found an article in a trade publication 3 weeks ago that stated:

"What’s Coming to Explorer of the Seas
The Perfect Storm racer waterslides
Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen
Reimagined pool deck
The Lime & Coconut bar
Transformed kid’s and teens spaces
Izumi
Chops Grille American Steakhouse
Boleros Latin lounge
Schooners Bar
Playmakers Sports Bar & Lounge"

I’d like to think this is true but in reality if RC were going to do this level of work they’d have their PR people all over it. 

7 hours ago, sowhat said:

This is the full quote  reported  here  on CC

Royal Caribbean has decided to pause the scheduled Royal Amplification refits of Allure of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas.
Allure of the Seas was to undergo a 58-day, $165 million dry dock that would have added new enhancements including the Ultimate Abyss and Perfect Storm slides; a Music Hall; an expanded Giovanni's specialty dining venue, and all-new Adventure Ocean spaces for kids and teens, in addition to general refits throughout the vessel.
Explorer of the Seas would also receive its very own $100-million Royal Amplification refit. The ship was going to receive The Perfect Storm racer waterslides, a redesigned pool deck with The Lime & Coconut, and other enhancements.

Plans for both vessels have now been shelved indefinitely.

We were on a couple of weeks ago and I spoke to a guy who was there to review the upgrades.  He basically confirmed what is said here plus they are replacing some of the flooring.

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

We were on a couple of weeks ago and I spoke to a guy who was there to review the upgrades.  He basically confirmed what is said here plus they are replacing some of the flooring.

So some new carpet in a few places and a quick look under the hood to make sure the engine is ok?

We were scheduled to be on the Allure TA after her amplification.

For Allure, the part that I don't quite understand is that when COVID hit, it was only about 4-5 weeks before her scheduled amplification. The main reason that the amplification was postponed/cancelled at that time was because COVID closed the dry dock facility. 4-5 weeks out, pretty much all of the necessary materials would have had to have already been ordered and much of it probably in a warehouse on site ready to go. I believe one of the things they were going to do was to replace all of the TVs and audio/video. We're talking about thousands of TVs. It's not like they could just return them. Did they liquidate them for pennies on the dollar? They Abyss slide and that giant fish head? Are they just sitting in a warehouse somewhere? Sure, there's a lot of labor involved in doing the actual work, but there's also storage costs, cancellation penalties, or just flat out loss to liquidate.

Other ships that were further out from their amplification would be in much better shape. Just seems like for Allure, they were so close that it might have made more sense to just follow through with it as soon as it could be scheduled in the dry dock. That they may not have really saved that much by cancelling/postponing. When they do end up rescheduling the amplification, how many things will they need to start over on? Certainly re-purchasing a lot of stuff that if MUCH more expensive now.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone on the 'blog' forum has posted they are just off Explorer and were told during the cruise carpets, decoration and a Playmakers on the promenade being installed during the dry dock.

I'd be surprised about a Playmakers but that's what they have posted they were told so who knows.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 11:13 AM, stevea36 said:

FWIW, I found an article in a trade publication 3 weeks ago that stated:

"What’s Coming to Explorer of the Seas
The Perfect Storm racer waterslides
Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen
Reimagined pool deck
The Lime & Coconut bar
Transformed kid’s and teens spaces
Izumi
Chops Grille American Steakhouse
Boleros Latin lounge
Schooners Bar
Playmakers Sports Bar & Lounge"

It already has Giovanni’s, Chops, Izumi, and Schooners. We were told crew areas refurbishment has already started weeks ago while sailing "...because everything on the sched could never be completed in dry dock otherwise" during our cruise last week. Back on her for 13 days in January so will ask more questions. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tin can said:

Someone on the 'blog' forum has posted they are just off Explorer and were told during the cruise carpets, decoration and a Playmakers on the promenade being installed during the dry dock.

I'd be surprised about a Playmakers but that's what they have posted they were told so who knows.

I have seen carpets replaced during a cruise. Carpet rolls were loaded on day of sailing and stacked on deck 5. They worked on installing every day. Doubt they would go to drydock just for that. 

12 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I have seen carpets replaced during a cruise. Carpet rolls were loaded on day of sailing and stacked on deck 5. They worked on installing every day. Doubt they would go to drydock just for that. 

I don't think they would either. Its stated as a mechanical dry dock but lots of rumours that there may be some smartening up passenger side at the same time. 

I'd be very surprised personally if the dry dock included a Playmakers but that was what somebody was told apparently.

12 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Back on her for 13 days in January so will ask more questions. 

That would be great if you could report back.

• Like 1