Explorer of the seas refurb

zeberdee

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Don't expect anything but required maintenance.

Hmmm. While onboard last March the Hotel Director told us it was going to be a bit more than just the usual required maintenance. We'll see when we board her next in Feb 2024.

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

Hmmm. While onboard last March the Hotel Director told us it was going to be a bit more than just the usual required maintenance. We'll see when we board her next in Feb 2024.

How long is her Dry Dock? That usually tells some. Explorer was my first SOLO Cruise 22 yrs ago..

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

From talking to numerous senior officers on multiple recent cruises, they have all said RCI does not plan to “amp” any ship for the forseeable future. 

The above conversation was about a refurbishment not an "amp"....a big difference.

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

The above conversation was about a refurbishment not an "amp"....a big difference.

The OP stated since Explorer missed its amplification, which at least to me implied they thought/hoped Explorer would get more than just the minimum requirements associated with a dry dock. Also, another poster stated they heard Explorer would get more than just the usual required maintenance, so at least one other person in this thread implied Explorer might get some kind of amplification. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

Royal Caribbean has decided to pause the scheduled Royal Amplification refits of Allure of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas.
Allure of the Seas was to undergo a 58-day refit.
Explorer of the Seas would also receive its very own $100-million Royal Amplification refit. The ship was going to receive The Perfect Storm racer waterslides, a redesigned pool deck with The Lime & Coconut, and other enhancements.

Plans for both vessels have now been shelved indefinitely.

Edited by sowhat

13 minutes ago, sowhat said:

Royal Caribbean has decided to pause the scheduled Royal Amplification refits of Allure of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas.
Explorer of the Seas would also receive its very own $100-million Royal Amplification refit. The ship was going to receive The Perfect Storm racer waterslides, a redesigned pool deck with The Lime & Coconut, and other enhancements.

What maintenance are they going to do though that takes 6 weeks? I'm no maritime expert but there must be something really mechanically wrong with her for it to take that long.

As you say the Allure full amplification wasn't planned to take much longer and just my opinion you don't cancel approx $27m of cruises just for maintenance.

We shall see though I guess.

11 hours ago, mugtech said:

Looks like the last January cruise ends on 1/29/23, no February scheduled, first March cruise is 3/12/23.  All in Florida, not sure where the dry dock will be.

That's the problem - all of the bigger RCI ships have sailed all the way to Europe for the work recently (except the ones in Asia which usually dry dock in Singapore)

5 minutes ago, Tin can said:

What maintenance are they going to do though that takes 6 weeks? I'm no maritime expert but there must be something really mechanically wrong with her for it to take that long.

See above - three weeks of that is sailing to the facility and back.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tin can said:

As you say the Allure full amplification wasn't planned to take much longer and just my opinion you don't cancel approx $27m of cruises just for maintenance.

We shall see though I guess.

This is the full quote  reported  here  on CC

Allure of the Seas was to undergo a 58-day, $165 million dry dock that would have added new enhancements including the Ultimate Abyss and Perfect Storm slides; a Music Hall; an expanded Giovanni's specialty dining venue, and all-new Adventure Ocean spaces for kids and teens, in addition to general refits throughout the vessel.

Maybe they could get rid of some of the rust (sorry, not sure why the picture is upside down) and clean the filthy balcony windows.  First cruise I could not enjoy sitting on my balcony.  Oh and perhaps add a few TV’s in more than one tiny bar.  You practically needed reservations to watch the WS.

A3990D4B-F375-4D93-90B4-07DC3C8CBAFA.jpeg

Edited by poocher

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

See above - three weeks of that is sailing to the facility and back.

If she is coming to Europe for a maintenance dry dock  you would have thought they would have worked it around her TA mid April for her summer season from Venice.

Why send her back to Miami for four weeks to have to go back again to Europe?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tin can said:

If she is coming to Europe for a maintenance dry dock  you would have thought they would have worked it around her TA mid April for her summer season from Venice.

May not be a drydock available for those 4 weeks.

3 hours ago, sowhat said:

Do you suspect that the same 'shelving' will apply to the Adventure OTS?

2 hours ago, sowhat said:

This is the full quote  reported  here  on CC

Allure of the Seas was to undergo a 58-day, $165 million dry dock that would have added new enhancements including the Ultimate Abyss and Perfect Storm slides; a Music Hall; an expanded Giovanni's specialty dining venue, and all-new Adventure Ocean spaces for kids and teens, in addition to general refits throughout the vessel.

Is that a recent communication? The only thing I’ve seen is back in 2020 when the decision was made to hold off. 

2 hours ago, poocher said:

Maybe they could get rid of some of the rust (sorry, not sure why the picture is upside down) and clean the filthy balcony windows.  First cruise I could not enjoy sitting on my balcony.  Oh and perhaps add a few TV’s in more than one tiny bar.  You practically needed reservations to watch the WS.

A3990D4B-F375-4D93-90B4-07DC3C8CBAFA.jpeg

Most this type Maint is done yr round not during Dry Dock. With CV shutdown lot this was done. Would do same Cruise every yr and when Ship got back to Florida they'd touchup all White and sand-stain all the wood railings. This while Passengers on reg Cruises and would take about 6wks 

Edited by ONECRUISER

7 minutes ago, poocher said:

Yeah and the big rusty hole? Do they sand that???

Sand, patch, paint. Like said tons maint done while Ship has passengers on, they take every railing off, one wk its missing, next returns. Paint over all white areas. This all happened After Dry Dock. During reg Marine Side DD they just dont have the time. Watched them do this every Oct-Dec on 2 Different Ships over 8yr period

2 hours ago, Tin can said:

Don't forget that there is a drydock facility in the Bahamas.  They have not sent the larger ships there as That is where the accident was a couple of years ago with Oasis.

1 hour ago, toad455 said:

The Explorer "amp" was supposed to happen in 2020, now almost three years later is still being sidelined. Explorer needs some kind of update to keep pace with the other Voyager-class ships.

FWIW, I found an article in a trade publication 3 weeks ago that stated:

"What’s Coming to Explorer of the Seas
The Perfect Storm racer waterslides
Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen
Reimagined pool deck
The Lime & Coconut bar
Transformed kid’s and teens spaces
Izumi
Chops Grille American Steakhouse
Boleros Latin lounge
Schooners Bar
Playmakers Sports Bar & Lounge"