NCL Noob?!?

cw2go

A little about us... 55 and 58 yrs old, active and some what experienced cruisers/travelers. Love the Med, Alaska and always have a Winter Escape in the works. 

We have sailed Princess, RCCL, Carnival (One & Done) and Celebrity which has been our line of choice since the kids abandoned us 😁

I have 2 cruises booked currently with NCL ~ One is 9nt Europe on Escape and the other is 7nt Southern Caribbean on Viva. 

I chose these cruises because of a few reasons, they are both port heavy with no sea days. We often get bored with sea days on any line. So done with belly flop contests! Looking forward to some variety, new shows/entertainment to mix it up. The ships look very nice and have true balconies, Celebrity has IV class ships in the itineraries we are looking for. 

I always pre book our dining and always end up in some specialties, on all lines. So I thought NCL would be a good fit in this regard. 

Now I am reading and probably over thinking 🤯

But could those of you who have traveled with multiple lines share what I should expect differently? I have heard uncountable times that NCL food has a lot to be desired and this has me concerned. I am not a Michelin 5* Girl...  BUT ... I do like to Eat and I Eat good! My hips are proof of that! 😂

My booking includes 2 meals, should I add a Specialty Dining package? I see they have a special for another 2 meals at $70 pp including grats in my planner. And if so how does the booking process work? With Celebrity, I never do the packages because you can then only book on board and many of the dining venues/times are super limited at that point. I book pre cruise for the Specialty of choice on my preferred day/time. I'm also confused by the ale'cart on some and cover charges on others, how does a pre paid meal package covers those? I also never book them for ever night, we also go to the MDR but from what I've read on that board (as you can imagine) is that I'll starve if I don't book Specialties For All My Meals! 

For the entertainment, I have never pre booked for shows or comedy acts. Is this required on NCL or just suggested? For me I find this to be anything but "Freestyle" 

The VIBE area is also bookable in my planner, really curious for some input about this area? We won't be on board all day, on any day but when we are we do like to lounge and enjoy an adult bevi. But I also see there isn't a pool so how hot is this area? 

I'd appreciate any input to help wrap my head around the NCL way of cruise planning,

Patty 

Escape is a great ship, tons to do.  We sailed on Prima and it had overall upgraded feeling to it but most venues too small.  Viva shows definitely book ahead.

No real complaints about the food anywhere on the ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cw2go said:

I'm also confused by the ale'cart on some and cover charges on others, how does a pre paid meal package covers those?

You're overthinking this part. If you use the dining package at the venue (even at a-la-carte venues), within the guidelines in the T&C's for the promo, there is no charge.  Only limitation on the FAS and add-on meal plans is that you can only get one entree in the a-la-carte places, don't let the server tell you otherwise.

2 hours ago, cw2go said:

My booking includes 2 meals, should I add a Specialty Dining package? I see they have a special for another 2 meals at $70 pp including grats in my planner. And if so how does the booking process work?

If you want more nights of specialty dining, add it.  Booking process (as explained in many other threads on the topic) - 120 days before sailing you will be allowed to make reservations online, Haven and high loyalty tier people can book at 130 days and 125 days, so you may not get the venue and time you want online.  Don't fret, though, more reservations open up on embarkation day as NCL only makes SOME tables available to book pre-cruise.  Book the set-fee restaurants FIRST, the system will assume you're using your dining plan for them and won't charge you.

2 hours ago, cw2go said:

we also go to the MDR but from what I've read on that board (as you can imagine) is that I'll starve if I don't book Specialties For All My Meals! 

You can't possibly starve!  If you're hungry in the MDR, order an additional meal.  They won't charge you.

2 hours ago, cw2go said:

I have heard uncountable times that NCL food has a lot to be desired and this has me concerned

On 3 cruises with NCL I have been disappointed MAYBE once.  However - I'm a single male in my 40's and my bar for being disappointed is "how does this compare to what I make at home for myself" so my expectations may be lower than yours.

On the Escape - don't discount O'Sheehan's.  It's The Local on other ships and has FANTASTIC burgers, Reuben, spinach & artichoke dip and other items, ALL INCLUDED in your fare!

Edited by hallux
  • Like 3

Do you like the food on Royal?  They are very comparable but NCL does desserts better.  Royal seems to want to turn everything into a pudding that they can put into a plastic cup.  

For specialty dining, NCL releases a portion of their reservations before hand that you can book online.  

For the a la carte restaurants, you can order one main entree and unlimited apps and sides.  The waiter may say only one of each but you will not be charged for more other than if you order an additional entree.  The fixed menu is just free for what they offer.  At smaller item places like Food Republic or sushi, you can order 4 items per credit.  You can share the 4 items and save a credit for another time. 

You are not going to starve if you eat in the MDR.  Are there items that you are not going to like? Sure but all mass market cruise line MDRs are hit or miss when they are trying to serve 1000s of people over 4 hours.

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Do you like the food on Royal?  They are very comparable but NCL does desserts better.  Royal seems to want to turn everything into a pudding that they can put into a plastic cup.  

For specialty dining, NCL releases a portion of their reservations before hand that you can book online.  

For the a la carte restaurants, you can order one main entree and unlimited apps and sides.  The waiter may say only one of each but you will not be charged for more other than if you order an additional entree.  The fixed menu is just free for what they offer.  At smaller item places like Food Republic or sushi, you can order 4 items per credit.  You can share the 4 items and save a credit for another time. 

You are not going to starve if you eat in the MDR.  Are there items that you are not going to like? Sure but all mass market cruise line MDRs are hit or miss when they are trying to serve 1000s of people over 4 hours.

Thank you so much for your response! This is what I was fearing. And to be honest, no we do not like RCCL. The food was meh/salty and the vibe was loud/hectic. I've been trying to focus on the itineraries because food doesn't need to be the driving force but I'm also not getting the feeling all this "planning" and "pre booking" isn't as freestyle as I was thinking. 

I have nothing to lose and will keep researching,

Patty 

Edited by cw2go

31 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Thank you so much for your response! This is what I was fearing. And to be honest, no we do not like RCCL. The food was meh/salty and the vibe was loud/hectic. I've been trying to focus on the itineraries because food doesn't need to be the driving force but I'm also not getting the feeling all this "planning" and "pre booking" isn't as freestyle as I was thinking. 

I have nothing to lose and will keep researching,

Patty 

The reason you need reservations is that there are way more people onboard than seats in entertainment venues on the mega ships (on the older ships no need for reservations). It’s the same with specialty restaurants, especially since they give meals away with perks. It’s mainly the my time dining with no set seatings, which is our favorite part of NCL.

• Like 1

I haven’t cruised on any other line but there are some tips specific to NCL

pre-booking specialty dining - opens 120days before sailing but only a proportion of reservations will be released pre embarkation, a majority are held back for embarkation day. Depending on the itinerary and how busy it is aboard there may be reservations available throughout though at less ideal times. 
the MDRs are not super noisy/chaotic unless you hit rush hour and you can always go to a different one, the menu is the same in all 3 on Escape. O’sheehans does get busy/noisy when one of the popular game shows is on in the atrium as O’Sheehans overlooks the atrium in Escape and there’s not enough seating/space in the atrium to accommodate everyone wanting to watch. 
As for Viva no-one has direct experience of that ship but the initial feedback on Prima (her sister ship) is that entertainment *has* to be booked as capacity is smaller than on Escape but even then you can sometimes get into a show on waitlist as they release seats 15mins before the show starts if people fail to arrive.

Vibe - other than good bar service due to limited numbers it may not be worth it on Escape, Spice H2O on escape is a *free* adults only area at the stern with hot tubs and a cold waterfall area for cooling off. There is a bar in spice as well but because they’re dealing with bigger numbers than vibe service can be a bit slower. In the evening spice turns into an activities area, family stuff early evening then adult parties later.

my first cruise was on Escape and she’s still my favourite of the ships I’ve been on. 

• Like 1

Would love to piggyback on this question.  We are also potentially looking at a cruise on Viva.  My main concern is the sleeping arrangements.  Due to the cost of the cruise and all related travel we would need to book only 1 cabin.  We have always booked  a regular balcony on Carnival with the king bed and then a drop down bunk and sofa for separate sleeping for the "kids" (boy and girl).  The balcony description states a double sofabed.  Is this one bed that 2 people share?  Is there any configuration for more sleeping places? We definitely can't afford 2 cabins or Haven.  Thank you.

11 minutes ago, trvlgirlmq said:

Due to the cost of the cruise and all related travel we would need to book only 1 cabin.  We have always booked  a regular balcony on Carnival with the king bed and then a drop down bunk and sofa for separate sleeping for the "kids" (boy and girl).  The balcony description states a double sofabed. 

On many NCL cruises, two inside cabins will be less than a balcony.  Have you checked this?

Recently sailed on Spirit for a 12 day cruise.  First time on NCL.  I found the service and staff to be very good overall.  I found the food to be plentiful, but average on the whole, needing some additional creativity.  More than a few instances of costs dictating menu options.  We were able to enjoy Cagney's breakfast, which was very good.  Silk was on par with an average neighborhood Asian restaurant.  Teppanyaki, not so much beause there was no "show" from the chef, just prep the courses, put it on the plate.  Cagney's dinner was very good, but not up to the prime chophouses in most cities.  Onda was on par with an average neighborhood italian restaurant.  The problem with Windows and Taste is that the non standard menu is rotating, thus if you find somethng really good, you can't get it again.  Prime Rib night was good but you didn't get the standard creamy horseradish, you got a dollop of straight horseradish - and they wouldn't bring me sour cream..  I am in the hospitality business and F&B is entirely subjective, so my opinion is my opinion and yours is yours.  I understand menu cost management very well, but I look for creativity with what you have to work with and how are the expected basics prepared and presented.  We ran out of lettuce on the tenth day while docked in Honolulu, yet apparently they could not get a few cases of lettuce to finish out the cruise, thus no lettuce for burgers and the wedge salad in Cagney's was replaced with a "chef special".

The entertainment and production staff was surpriaingly good.  The same entertainers did at least six fully choreographed productions.  The off night acts - magician - aerialists - singers were also very good.

Again, very satisfied with the ship, the staff and the,service.

Everyone has their own opinion and this is my experience.

25 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

On many NCL cruises, two inside cabins will be less than a balcony.  Have you checked this?

Priced it out and 2 insides come to $526 more than 1 balcony.  I've only done an inside once and OV once.  Hated it.  Felt claustrophobic and closed in.  I am also not one to spend a bunch of time in the common  areas where it's loud and there are so many people.  Love to read or just sit and contemplate on the balcony.  Well, maybe it's not a good time to branch out to another line until the kids are no longer traveling with us.

12 hours ago, trvlgirlmq said:

Would love to piggyback on this question.  We are also potentially looking at a cruise on Viva.  My main concern is the sleeping arrangements.  Due to the cost of the cruise and all related travel we would need to book only 1 cabin.  We have always booked  a regular balcony on Carnival with the king bed and then a drop down bunk and sofa for separate sleeping for the "kids" (boy and girl).  The balcony description states a double sofabed.  Is this one bed that 2 people share?  Is there any configuration for more sleeping places? We definitely can't afford 2 cabins or Haven.  Thank you.

The cheapest balcony rooms on the Viva for 4:

AFT facing Balcony (Bv Category)

Size: 186 sq. ft. Balcony: 102 sq. ft.

Occupancy: 2 to 4 guests

Amenities: Two lower beds that convert to to a queen-size bed some staterooms also have a double sofa bed aft-facing balcony sitting area spacious bathroom with shower vanity/desk combination floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors flat-screen TV telephone and safe.

---

Family Balcony Stateroom, B4 Category

Size: 186 sq. ft. Balcony: 45 sq. ft.

Occupancy: Up to 4 guests

Amenities: Two lower beds that convert to to a queen-size bed a double sofa bed balcony sitting area spacious bathroom with shower vanity/desk combination floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors flat-screen TV telephone and safe.

----

There are a few suite level rooms that also sleep 4, but they seem to have the same configuration.  Most likely the children would get the twin beds (the queen pulled apart) and you and your husband would get the sofa bed (if you two wanted to have one bed). There doesn't seem to be pullman beds on this ship.  A double bed is slightly smaller than a full size bed. 

On 12/3/2022 at 11:50 AM, hallux said:

You're overthinking this part. If you use the dining package at the venue (even at a-la-carte venues), within the guidelines in the T&C's for the promo, there is no charge.  Only limitation on the FAS and add-on meal plans is that you can only get one entree in the a-la-carte places, don't let the server tell you otherwise.

If you want more nights of specialty dining, add it.  Booking process (as explained in many other threads on the topic) - 120 days before sailing you will be allowed to make reservations online, Haven and high loyalty tier people can book at 130 days and 125 days, so you may not get the venue and time you want online.  Don't fret, though, more reservations open up on embarkation day as NCL only makes SOME tables available to book pre-cruise.  Book the set-fee restaurants FIRST, the system will assume you're using your dining plan for them and won't charge you.

You can't possibly starve!  If you're hungry in the MDR, order an additional meal.  They won't charge you.

On 3 cruises with NCL I have been disappointed MAYBE once.  However - I'm a single male in my 40's and my bar for being disappointed is "how does this compare to what I make at home for myself" so my expectations may be lower than yours.

On the Escape - don't discount O'Sheehan's.  It's The Local on other ships and has FANTASTIC burgers, Reuben, spinach & artichoke dip and other items, ALL INCLUDED in your fare!

Not gonna lie...you are one of the most helpful posters on CC. You always mention how people can find the answers somewhere else, but then provide a helpful answer. I really enjoy your posts (to heck with what some other posters say about ya). Anyway...enough of me being not snarky! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/3/2022 at 9:22 AM, cw2go said:

I am not a Michelin 5* Girl...  BUT ... I do like to Eat and I Eat good! My hips are proof of that!

I'm not a Michelin anything guy, but I'm a fatty mcfat fatty, so I enjoy my food. 

The options on NCL for included food, are decent, except the buffet. I've yet to experience a decent buffet. You don't mention it, so perhaps you would be sticking to the main dining room/specialty restaurants. 

I'm very picky about when I go to the main dining room. It's only when something I really want is being served as the menu is hit or miss. There have been a few times I've supplemented the main dining room meal with appetizers from O'Sheehan's/The Local and other restaurants like the Noodle Bar (Escape/Viva don't have this option). Viva definitely has a lot of complimentary options that the Escape doesn't have. 

As for specialty dining, if I were you, I would absolutely look at purchasing at least two additional meals or look at the Free at Sea Plus (two additional meals, upgraded beverage package, unlimited internet, more shore excursion credits). 

Finally, if you have the spare cash (if you're thinking Viva, you have spare cash), just upgrade to the Haven where you'll be able to luxuriate yourself in fantastic dining. The Haven Restaurant is the best on the ship, it's included in your Haven fancy pants membership, and is just incredible, though still not Michelin starred quality. 

Regardless of what you do (sail NCL, or not), I hope you have amazing cruises ahead of you!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm not a Michelin anything guy, but I'm a fatty mcfat fatty, so I enjoy my food. 

The options on NCL for included food, are decent, except the buffet. I've yet to experience a decent buffet. You don't mention it, so perhaps you would be sticking to the main dining room/specialty restaurants. 

I'm very picky about when I go to the main dining room. It's only when something I really want is being served as the menu is hit or miss. There have been a few times I've supplemented the main dining room meal with appetizers from O'Sheehan's/The Local and other restaurants like the Noodle Bar (Escape/Viva don't have this option). Viva definitely has a lot of complimentary options that the Escape doesn't have. 

As for specialty dining, if I were you, I would absolutely look at purchasing at least two additional meals or look at the Free at Sea Plus (two additional meals, upgraded beverage package, unlimited internet, more shore excursion credits). 

Finally, if you have the spare cash (if you're thinking Viva, you have spare cash), just upgrade to the Haven where you'll be able to luxuriate yourself in fantastic dining. The Haven Restaurant is the best on the ship, it's included in your Haven fancy pants membership, and is just incredible, though still not Michelin starred quality. 

Regardless of what you do (sail NCL, or not), I hope you have amazing cruises ahead of you!

Thank you for this input, very helpful! At this time, I am still waiting to see Celebrities itineraries for the same sailing season/destinations to make a comparison. In the next few weeks they'll be released so meanwhile I'll keep gathering NCL info so I can make a wise decision. 

I'm also a Golden Lover! 🐶

33 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Not gonna lie...you are one of the most helpful posters on CC. You always mention how people can find the answers somewhere else, but then provide a helpful answer. I really enjoy your posts (to heck with what some other posters say about ya). Anyway...enough of me being not snarky! 

Give a person a fish and they eat for a day, teach them to fish and they eat for a lifetime.  The information many people seek is available, either directly from the cruise line or in other threads here

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2022 at 3:28 PM, eileeshb said:

Vibe - other than good bar service due to limited numbers it may not be worth it on Escape, Spice H2O on escape is a *free* adults only area at the stern with hot tubs and a cold waterfall area for cooling off. There is a bar in spice as well but because they’re dealing with bigger numbers than vibe service can be a bit slower.

I think there are two other important points about Vibe that are overlooked in the above:

1. Guaranteed lounger.  No need to wake up at 0-dark-30 to secure your lounger
  2. It's generally quite a bit quieter (I understand for some this is a negative)

I personally prefer Vibe over Spice - it's not even close for us.

• Like 1

Let me be your Escape dining concierge!

A little about us, so you know where these recommendations are coming from: We like really flavorful, adventurous food, as well as a nice steak or seafood dinner. We mostly avoid chains.  I find the specialty restaurants range from good to very good and the main dining room acceptably good, always with a few highlights during our cruise. I've only had one NCL cruise where the MDR food was disappointing most nights, and that was over a decade ago. If it was my first NCL cruise, I'd have proclaimed the food bad. But I knew it wasn't the norm for NCL.

• Use your two meal package to book Cagneys and LeBistro. 
  • Add a two-meal upgrade ($59/pp plus gratuity) and use those at Pincho and Food Republic...the best two restaurants on the ship, IMO. I was going to suggest you might be able to a la carte cheaper than that, but probably not if you want to try lots of things, like I always do!
  • Food Republic is a modern casual atmosphere, Pincho is counter service tapas, but high end flavor and presentation, and Cagneys and LeBistro are fancier traditional dining experiences. So, you get a good mix of good food and atmosphere with this plan.
  • If you aren't adventurous eaters, you would be better off picking Bayamo by Ocean Blue and either La Cucina or Moderno instead of Pincho and Food Republic. Just research good picks at La Cucina, because there are some clunkers and some highlights.  I don't think it's as top tier as other restaurants on the ship. I hate the concept of Teppenyaki, but some people love it. If you like this style of Japanese food and show, go for it. People that like that kind of thing seem to love it.

For the Main Dining Rooms: Note Manhattan s the "grander" of the free dinner venues. There is often live music and a few guests dancing to jazz and big band on the dance floor. It's quite lovely to watch. Taste and Savor are smaller and I often see more families, but if they are quiet families, the experience can be calmer than Manhattan. They all have the same menus, so just pick which style better suits you. We always pick Manhattan.

Oh, and the Indian food in the buffet is great! 

Edited by weltek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SunshineGal2022 said:

The cheapest balcony rooms on the Viva for 4:

AFT facing Balcony (Bv Category)

Size: 186 sq. ft. Balcony: 102 sq. ft.

Occupancy: 2 to 4 guests

Amenities: Two lower beds that convert to to a queen-size bed some staterooms also have a double sofa bed aft-facing balcony sitting area spacious bathroom with shower vanity/desk combination floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors flat-screen TV telephone and safe.

---

Family Balcony Stateroom, B4 Category

Size: 186 sq. ft. Balcony: 45 sq. ft.

Occupancy: Up to 4 guests

Amenities: Two lower beds that convert to to a queen-size bed a double sofa bed balcony sitting area spacious bathroom with shower vanity/desk combination floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors flat-screen TV telephone and safe.

----

There are a few suite level rooms that also sleep 4, but they seem to have the same configuration.  Most likely the children would get the twin beds (the queen pulled apart) and you and your husband would get the sofa bed (if you two wanted to have one bed). There doesn't seem to be pullman beds on this ship.  A double bed is slightly smaller than a full size bed. 

No husband just my mother (grandma to kids). Kids are in college so technically adults I guess! As the person who funds and pays for all the travel I am not sleeping in a double sofa bed with anyone! I’m just going to hope that this amazing itinerary is offered once I am no longer paying for kids (have said when they graduate college and have real jobs they are on their own). 

2 hours ago, trvlgirlmq said:

No husband just my mother (grandma to kids). Kids are in college so technically adults I guess! As the person who funds and pays for all the travel I am not sleeping in a double sofa bed with anyone! I’m just going to hope that this amazing itinerary is offered once I am no longer paying for kids (have said when they graduate college and have real jobs they are on their own). 

I will not sleep in sofa beds either, not when there is a better bed in the same room!  

What about getting a balcony for you and your mom and have the college kids share an inside room?  You could always put down a deposit and if the price doesn't drop enough by your final payment, cancel the trip.  I am sure it will drop a few times before your trip though.  

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 5:29 PM, trvlgirlmq said:

Priced it out and 2 insides come to $526 more than 1 balcony.  I've only done an inside once and OV once.  Hated it.  Felt claustrophobic and closed in. 

Maybe you need to look at different itineraries?  Some folks are happier than pigs in 💩 just to be on the ship, regardless of whether or not their bedroom has a fancy view.  "Claustrophobic" is just a lousy excuse for needing to have a fancier room about 80% of the time.  I've sailed both steerage and balcony.  I would pay (and have paid) about $100 more to have that crappy balcony.  Aft balcony?  Sure, that works if it's dirt cheap.  It was on my last cruise and I enjoyed several afternoon naps on the lounger.  Regular balcony?  I think they're a crappy joke on folks with more dollars than sense.  But, to each their own.  😎

You seem like our type of cruisers. Our two favorite lines are Celebrity and NCL for differing reasons. We don't care for Carnival and RCI is our choice only if we are cruising with our grown children and young grand children. We feel NCL has better entertainment options, both small and large venue, than any of the other lines.

I won't answer your questions about the newer ships because we haven't sailed Prima yet. We are booked on Encore, Caribbean in Feb just for the ship really. My personal favorite ship is the Escape. The waterfront on deck 8 is a great area. Lots of shade and places to hang out. We find the drinks on NCL to be far superior to RCI and the food to be much better also. NCL is not quite as mass market feeling but, at times it does feel a little as if you're being nickel and dimed. I don't think you will need the VIBE on Escape. They have a nice adult's only feature with water which has pretty good shade. Plus, you are port intensive. You won't have much pool hangout time anyway. 

As far as reservations go, make what you can online and then plan to spend your first hour on board making reservations and changes to your itinerary as necessary. Do not over think this. We have always found the food good in their specialty restaurants even if we ended up in something that was not our first choice. Main dining is good. We like the ambiance of the Manhattan room but other prefer Savor and Taste. Plan to give them a try so you'll know. 

Relax, be ready to try new things on NCL. I think you'll like it.

• Like 1