Cruising without a passport for Canadians

LHT28

Just curious 

I wonder if Canadians can sail from a US port with the same  requirements that Americans can on closed looped  cruises

BC & Government  issued I.D.?

We use  passports   even  to drive across the border 

The WHTI  thing confuses me  LOL

• LHT28 changed the title to Cruising without a passport for Canadians

In theory, whatever documents you've used to enter the US prior to boarding should meet the requirements for your closed-loop cruise. But...

A couple of years ago, DW and I flew to Boston to embark on a Canada/New England cruise terminating in Montreal, using our Nexus cards at YUL for our pre-clearance to the US. When we went to board the following day, the staff and the supervisor at the cruise terminal refused to accept Nexus cards and stated that unless we had our passports, we wouldn't be allowed to board. Fortunately, we never leave Canada without our passports, so we were ok and had a very enjoyable cruise. 

Should you need to fly home during the cruise due to sickness, not returning to the ship on time, or for some other reason, an EDL will not suffice for boarding a flight. There might be considerable delay before you can get home.

Finally, a number of Caribbean nations now require cruise passengers to have passports, so the documents you require will depend on your itinerary.

Bottom line: passports always work, bearing in mind varying expiry date regulations. Other documentation is hit-and-miss, depending on the details of the cruise. 

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

Thanks

Many years ago you just need to declare you were Canadian & sometimes they asked  for Birth certificates

I never thought  back then to take my passport  (which I got in 1971)

As a teen we used to cross at Buffalo  for the evening 😉

Now  we always have our passport  with us

I just see people saying you  can cruise on a closed loop cruise  with less documentation

I was just curious 

slow day LOL

2 hours ago, Fred&Lily said:

Who do you suppose they tip-off with that information?

The US regulations state that money in excess of $10,000 US must be reported at Customs. Has to do with  criminal activity/money laundering.

10 minutes ago, mom says said:

The US regulations state that money in excess of $10,000 US must be reported at Customs. Has to do with  criminal activity/money laundering.

We have the same regulations here in Canada. And it is not only entering the country; any cash transaction of $10,000 or more must be reported. 

3 hours ago, Fred&Lily said:

Several times crossing from Windsor to Detroit,  US Border Security has asked me, in addition to our passports and cruise itinerary, is how much money we are carrying.

Who do you suppose they tip-off with that information?

In addition to money laundering concerns, border agents typically want some assurance visitors have enough funds for their stay.

1 hour ago, Dancer Bob said:

Not cruise related, but arrived YYZ T3 yesterday. I went through the NEXUS line but even with my NEXUS receipt, the CBSA officer wanted to see my passport.

Did the CBSA officer say why? Was there some issue as to your citizenship? That seems to be the only reason cited by CBSA for needing to show your passport when entering Canada with a NEXUS card. 

Remember to always travel with your passport and/or proof of permanent residence in case you are required to prove your citizenship or permanent residence status.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/travel-voyage/prog/nexus/how-utiliser-eng.html

While many of us never travel outside Canada without our passport, I'm sure that there are many NEXUS members who no longer bother when travelling to the US. DW and I have never been asked for our passports since joining NEXUS, but your case proves that we should be prepared for such an eventuality.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Did the CBSA officer say why? Was there some issue as to your citizenship? That seems to be the only reason cited by CBSA for needing to show your passport when entering Canada with a NEXUS card. 

Lots of valid reasons a CBSA officer may demand a passport at the border even when a Nexus card is used for entry .

In fact CBSA says

"Remember to always travel with your passport and/or proof of permanent residence in case you are required to prove your citizenship or permanent residence status."

at https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/travel-voyage/prog/nexus/how-utiliser-eng.html

25 minutes ago, broberts said:

Lots of valid reasons a CBSA officer may demand a passport at the border even when a Nexus card is used for entry .

In fact CBSA says

"Remember to always travel with your passport and/or proof of permanent residence in case you are required to prove your citizenship or permanent residence status."

at https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/travel-voyage/prog/nexus/how-utiliser-eng.html

Yes, that's the same paragraph and link that I had posted. I'm glad that you agree.

As for "Lots of valid reasons", this is the only one that I've found on the current CBSA website. Perhaps you could provide a link to all the others that I've missed.

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, that's the same paragraph and link that I had posted. I'm glad that you agree.

As for "Lots of valid reasons", this is the only one that I've found on the current CBSA website. Perhaps you could provide a link to all the others that I've missed.

Never mind

Edited by broberts