NYC terminal parking tips

mtquinn

Don't worry about parking at the terminal.  We have done this lots of times and have never had a problem finding a parking spot no matter the arrival time(even when we've gotten there prior to the ship debarking its passengers from the last cruise).  There is plenty of parking at the terminal and lots of signage and people to direct you to the appropriate entrance.  Absolutely no worries there.   We have about a 12 hour drive from home, so we try to stay somewhere out of the city and then drive in early the cruise morning,  lots cheaper and less stressful.  Easier to manuever through NY on a weekend morning earlier in the day,  on a weekday its easier later in the morning after the rush hour.  Hope this help,  Pat

EDIT:  I forgot to mention,  there is alot of information on parking in NY on the East Coast departure forum.

Edited by Pat
added info
  • Like 1

Yeah, don't fret. 

Arrive at the time you feel best for your driving plans, and a parking spot will be available at the terminal.  Pull-in, drop-off your bags to the porters, park, and head down to check-in.  Super convenient and even though the price isn't cheap, it DEFINITELY beats flying to a port to embark on a cruise.  When you disembark, you are out of there on the road really quickly.  Some get antsy driving in NYC, but the west side is easy in and easy out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Yeah, don't fret. 

Arrive at the time you feel best for your driving plans, and a parking spot will be available at the terminal.  Pull-in, drop-off your bags to the porters, park, and head down to check-in.  Super convenient and even though the price isn't cheap, it DEFINITELY beats flying to a port to embark on a cruise.  When you disembark, you are out of there on the road really quickly.  Some get antsy driving in NYC, but the west side is easy in and easy out.

Actually the parking is at the top, pull in, let the dogs sniff your car, park, bring your luggage on the elevator, go down and drop your luggage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Actually the parking is at the top,

Yeah, agreed.  However, porters are at the top too, at least they were in October, and April, and December before that.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Yeah, agreed.  However, porters are at the top too, at least they were in October, and April, and December before that.

Our last time in November we arrived about 820 and there weren’t any porters on the parking level

8 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Is it easy to find once coming out of tunnel? I worry about traffic and getting lost.

also is the parking in a multi level garage or is it really one high flat lot?

It’s easier from the GWB, especially if you’re not used to driving in nyc (I’ve driven there a lot), huge outdoor parking on top of the pier.

• Like 1

If you go to Google Map on a desktop PC or tablet, you can do a virtual drive on the upcoming trip to MCT, including the best or recommended routing ... Sunday morning, traffic is typically light & easy.  

Depending on your whereabouts in PA, best approach could be via I-95 to GWB, and then south on West Side Hwy, direct to MCT / Pier 88, or, via the NY Turnpike to Lincoln Tunnel approach to Midtown West. 

East Coast Destination sub-forum should be your resources if you have more specific questions.  Rooftop parking is safe & secure, $40 for 24 hours or $320 for 8 days, with a max of $400 for 10 days or longer, payable on arrival - credit or debit cards only, cash no longer accepted - a security check is done by a trained dog team with the handler.

Collage_2022-12-10_11_43_15.jpg

Collage_2022-12-10_19_28_19.jpg

Collage_2022-12-09_00_15_50.jpg

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Is it easy to find once coming out of tunnel? I worry about traffic and getting lost.

also is the parking in a multi level garage or is it really one high flat lot?

Head North on 10 Ave.... Hang a Left on 55th to 12 Ave..... Another Left and up the Ramp to park

3 hours ago, mtquinn said:

Just down the road is the Circle Line. We pre-booked and parked there once at about 1/2 the cost. It was pretty convenient.

MaggieNY, can you expand on this? Never heard of it. 

About 3/4 of a mile south on 12th Ave (about a 15 min walk) is Circle Line, a tour cruise operator. They have a parking lot that you can also use.

There are a few websites that pre-book (and pre pay) for parking spots throughout the city, parkwize, spot hero, etc

One time we found out the coast guard was doing an inspection so the main lot was still full. We simply drove 2 blocks down to another public lot and paid for parking there. It saved us around $80 and the walk was quick to the pier. Our family was able to park in the cruise terminal lot without any issue because they arrived a bit later than us. 

5 hours ago, ngrund said:

About 3/4 of a mile south on 12th Ave (about a 15 min walk) is Circle Line, a tour cruise operator. They have a parking lot that you can also use.

There are a few websites that pre-book (and pre pay) for parking spots throughout the city, parkwize, spot hero, etc

The Circle Line is located at Pier 83, West 42nd - 43rd St. and 12th Ave, so it's only 5 blocks south...about 1/4 mile...from Pier 88 where NCL ships dock.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ngrund said:

That's not the distance to Pier 88, which is located at W 48th St.

The map is showing the distance to Pier 92/94, which is located  at W 54th St. You're getting that result because you input "Manhattan Cruise Terminal" into your search, and Google Maps is using the office mailing address of the cruise terminal, which is 711 12th Ave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

That's not the distance to Pier 88, which is located at W 48th St.

The map is showing the distance to Pier 92/94, which is located  at W 54th St. You're getting that result because you input "Manhattan Cruise Terminal" into your search, and Google Maps is using the office mailing address of the cruise terminal, which is 711 12th Ave.

ok, stand corrected

On 12/10/2022 at 8:32 PM, Laszlo said:

Head North on 10 Ave.... Hang a Left on 55th to 12 Ave..... Another Left and up the Ramp to park

thanks but it looks like the GWB might be less intimidating.

perhaps one day I might get brave but for now I do Bayonne even with using their garage is now some drama with them wanting the flat lot filled before the allow non handicaps in the garage.  been odd this year for Bayonne parking.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

thanks but it looks like the GWB might be less intimidating.

perhaps one day I might get brave but for now I do Bayonne even with using their garage is now some drama with them wanting the flat lot filled before the allow non handicaps in the garage.  been odd this year for Bayonne parking.

OMG..... I hate the GW Lol. It never seems to matter what time of the day or night it is. Traffic is backed up and they are doing construction Lol

20 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

OMG..... I hate the GW Lol. It never seems to matter what time of the day or night it is. Traffic is backed up and they are doing construction Lol

while I hear you I hate tunnels and then if I get confused out of the tunnel I do not want to end up too much into the city.  I like the idea of a road that parallels the river.

i do wonder how they handle snow for the cars parked on top and if a plow clears most of the lot

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

i do wonder how they handle snow for the cars parked on top and if a plow clears most of the lot

Well I can tell you how it worked for us.  When we left there was no snow in the lot,  when we returned it had snowed a fair amount.  They had plowed the lot and there was a substantial amount of snow piled behind the parked cars,  plus the snow that had fallen off cars.  Plus it must have rained too as our car was frozen to the ground.  Luckily we have a 4WD and my husband just floored it and plowed through.  Lots of people were trying to shovel their cars out with little or no resources to do so.  It wasn't pretty.  But I still think parking at the pier is the way to go..............just remember to pack a shovel if you're leaving in the winter!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, @mtquinn, I just got back from my cruise late last night! Looks like everyone else answered your question. The Circle Line made us park down on a lower level so our car was out of the way from the daily parking, so it was covered. If it had snowed while we parked there, it wouldn't have been an issue. 

The cruise port has open parking up on top. If you arrive at the port later than other passengers, you could end up on top which would mean snow would be an issue.