Anyone on Onward - Dec 2022

retiredtman

Lobster and fillet mignon both of which used to appear on the main dining room menu were only available in additional pay venues this last cruise.

The other sad thing is herbs are now very rarely enjoyed, all "flavouring" seems to come from spice which does not work for everyone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Lobster and fillet mignon both of which used to appear on the main dining room menu were only available in additional pay venues this last cruise.

The other sad thing is herbs are now very rarely enjoyed, all "flavouring" seems to come from spice which does not work for everyone

Filet mignon in Discoveries tonight along with bacon-wrapped venison.  The latter was excellent.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, uktog said:

I’m wondering if that’s just on Onward. Certainly didn’t notice it on Quest.

Edited by Grandma Cruising

34 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I’m wondering if that’s just on Onward. Certainly didn’t notice it on Quest.

We wondered that too.  Some of it is the menu focus with much more Asian/Mexican styles than previously.  This probably works well for a lot of the guests they are attracting.  Our personal tastes are much more European and we recognise that.  Sometimes you just dont "click" with the menus.  Certainly on Onward food was much saltier than what we ate on Quest and Journey in the summer - again personal taste

On 12/11/2022 at 6:36 AM, uktog said:

Onward is very much work in progress re service and food quality. They know they have issues and have had head office people onboard looking at things so hopefully there are quick fixes before you sail. 
Entertainment is good and if you have your Azamazing evening on St Kitts it’s a great event showcasing Island music and song. 

The Azamazing Evening was indeed a showcase of local music, song and dance of St. Maartin, not St. Kitts. Don’t want the questioner to be disappointed if looking forward to it on St. Kitts. 

I thought you could pre order anything in MDR.

Also about the salt…I totally agree about salt,I like spice or herbs not salt.

most of us have to watch our salt intake.

went to Greek Night in Windows..naturally nkt the real things but very well done.Food was hot.

1 hour ago, Sail Girl said:

The Azamazing Evening was indeed a showcase of local music, song and dance of St. Maartin, not St. Kitts. Don’t want the questioner to be disappointed if looking forward to it on St. Kitts. 

OOPs so sorry - I had such a good time with the rum punches I got transported to another island!  Thanks for picking that up

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Roel94 said:

I thought you could pre order anything in MDR.

Also about the salt…I totally agree about salt,I like spice or herbs not salt.

most of us have to watch our salt intake.

went to Greek Night in Windows..naturally nkt the real things but very well done.Food was hot.

I was not expecting to have to pre order and was expecting some of the menu items from recent cruises to appear the next night...or the next night.  Marinaro has confirmed one missing item has already been offered so sounds like (again) we were unlucky re supply chain issues as we were with other drink products etc

There was no proactive offering of pre ordering anything special (unless for dietary requirements).  

Glad your experience in Windows was hot food - maybe they had a problem that got fixed, - they certainly knew they had an issue before we even mentioned it last week.  The Supervisor proactively asked us if our meal was "also cold"

54 minutes ago, retiredtman said:

I would appreciate current comments on food quality in the MDR and speciality restaurants.  Also, I know we can purchase a 3 or 4 speciality dining package, but how much does it cost per night without a package?  Is it worth it?

My experience on Onward Main Dining Room last week (others may have different experiences though ours reflects what was also happening on tables around us)

• The menus are varied however some regular items that were posted on the menu were unavailable (eg escargot)
  • Food choices worked some nights but too much asian or spiced options on other nights but there is the always available items (strip steak, chicken breast, salmon) 
  • The cooking of the food was inconsistent,  We had some lovely dishes and some we had to send back for either poor cooking (tough steak not prepared as asked, duck fat not rendered so a plate of congealed fat and rubber duck etc) or more often for not being warm (they confuse hot plates with warm food)
  • The dessert menu is unimaginative and well overdue a refresh (there is also not the eye catching dessert plating you see on other ships
  • Service very much depends on the waiter you get, some are very good others are not 

Speciality was good with warm food and far better execution of the cooking - but you would expect that there.  Sorry I did not pick up the price of the packaging but otherwise it is $35 per person if you are not in a suite

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, retiredtman said:

I would appreciate current comments on food quality in the MDR and speciality restaurants.  Also, I know we can purchase a 3 or 4 speciality dining package, but how much does it cost per night without a package?  Is it worth it?

On Onward right now.

3 table specialities is $85 pp.

4 table tour is $115 pp.

We have one night MDR, one night Patio and tonight will be Aqualina..

So far, we have been pleased with food.

What we find is slow drink service in LR.  They only have ONE server for the entire Living room each evening from 5 to at least 6:30 pm and he is running!  He has to bus tables with leftover tapa dishes and get orders for drinks.  Have never seen that area so lacking in wait staff.  I feel for him!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, uktog said:

I was not expecting to have to pre order and was expecting some of the menu items from recent cruises to appear the next night...or the next night.  Marinaro has confirmed one missing item has already been offered so sounds like (again) we were unlucky re supply chain issues as we were with other drink products etc

There was no proactive offering of pre ordering anything special (unless for dietary requirements).  

Glad your experience in Windows was hot food - maybe they had a problem that got fixed, - they certainly knew they had an issue before we even mentioned it last week.  The Supervisor proactively asked us if our meal was "also cold"

We were on the Dec. 1 Onward. The temps. of the food was inconsistent. The steamed vegetables were cold as was the gravy for the roast beef on Pub night.

On 12/15/2022 at 2:54 PM, KevintheIrishDJ said:

We were on the Dec. 1 Onward. The temps. of the food was inconsistent. The steamed vegetables were cold as was the gravy for the roast beef on Pub night.

On the Quest in August, always had to tell the waitstaff that the veggies needed to be served very hot.

• Like 1

It is hard for me to understand why the meals on Onward seem to be substandard when compared with the other ships? Can anyone comment as to why that would be?  Are the cooking staff not as good as the staff on the other ships?  I thought that things would be very similar no matter what ship you are on. We are still very much looking forward to cruising on Onward, but expect the product to be the same quality. Maybe it is just me….

5 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

No. Pub night was a theme night in Windows.

Strange. I was on that cruise and there was no menu themed as Pub night. They were all themed by countries. 

Wondermouse. I did wonder given that temperature was often a problem is it an equipment issue?  Is it different???  That said it was also mentioned that they’d had recruitment issues with chefs 

Edited by uktog

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Strange. I was on that cruise and there was no menu themed as Pub night. They were all themed by countries. 

Wondermouse. I did wonder given that temperature was often a problem is it an equipment issue?  Is it different???  That said it was also mentioned that they’d had recruitment issues with chefs 

I talked to someone about the "crispy" bacon and the next morning it was better.

On 12/14/2022 at 4:34 PM, marinaro44 said:

Latest word is Eric is staying with parents for the holidays and will return after his already planned vacation, sometime in March.

I have just seen a photo on Twitter of Eric in Christmas gear on Onward with Tony so I reckon he is back.

Edited by Belfastman