Odyssey vs Jade for Greek cruise?

etravel

I know I'm asking this in a Royal board! But having a tough time deciding between the Odyssey Med cruise (out of Rome..Santorini, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Naples) and the Jade (out of Athens) which is a Greek island every day...The Jade a lower rate, but both look awesome..It seems like it's much easier to get into/out of Rome for the Royal cruise, but any thoughts on either cruise? Decisions! 

Are you planning pre or post cruise time in (or near) the port city?  If so, would you rather spend that time in (or near) Rome or Athens?  That might help me decide.

When I were take a port intensive cruise where I will be doing lots of excursions, I personally worry less about ship amenities, as I’m so busy/tired from ports I am happy with a comfy, floating hotel.  So either ship would certainly work for me on a port intensive cruise.  Other people would, of course, feel differently.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, etravel said:

I know I'm asking this in a Royal board! But having a tough time deciding between the Odyssey Med cruise (out of Rome..Santorini, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Naples) and the Jade (out of Athens) which is a Greek island every day...The Jade a lower rate, but both look awesome..It seems like it's much easier to get into/out of Rome for the Royal cruise, but any thoughts on either cruise? Decisions! 

Rome cruise port is about an hour away.

Athens cruise port took us about 20 minutes.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we went on Jade in 2018 on a 10 day Southern caribbean itinerary. On day 3 Jade broke down and we had to go home. We'll never go on an old ship again. Ever.

Also, NCL's food was bad.

That must have been an unfortunate and memorable experience.

Launched in 2006, Jade is 16 years old.  That’s not particularly old for a cruiseship.  That’s not particularly old for a cruise ship. Fourteen of Royal Caribbean’s ship’s are 16 or older.  Just as mechanical problems can occur in cars old and new, they can also happen to any ship.  

I have not been on NCL since the restart.  There have been food complaints on every cruiseline before and after the restart.  Some people have said NCL’s food is now better than Royal Caribbean’s.  It’s personal taste colored by personal biases, so there will never be a consensus.  I remember an X cruise with hubby and his sister.  Raised in same home, eating the same food, and close in age, the two of them are still thick as thieves.  He loved the food.  She politely picked at it.

We were on the Jade for a B2B in October from Athens. We picked the ship because of the itinerary. The smaller ship has the advantage of getting into more ports and has less people to tender if that is required. 

We visited a couple of bucket list ports in Istanbul and 2 stops in  Israel and got to float on the Dead Sea  for a few hours!

It was a very port intensive cruise.

The ship was in great condition and it was good to try new speciality restaurants. 

We have sailed R.C, Princess and MSC  this year as well and found the Jade to be a good choice with no real issues.

We just sailed the Jade in October.  She has been renovated, was immaculately clean, the crew and service was great.   The regular food was fine and the specialty dining food was very good   The entertainment was mediocre.

The Jade doesn't have the bells and whistles like the Odyssey.  However, I would rather sail a nicer ship in a less port intensive itinerary.  Our next cruise is on the Celebrity Apex in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, George C said:

Totally agree that rccl is a superior line to ncl, but in Europe it’s more about ports , which ports do you prefer , i would pick rccl because it includes Naples which I love .

George...I'm pretty sure we are leaning that way! So for Naples is there an excursion or excursions you prefer? We are thinking about the Capri and the Amalfi Coast..looks nice! The couple we are going with have been to Pompeii so I don't know that we will do that although I'm sure it's amazing..Then there is also Sorrento & Amalfi Coast do you prefer Capri or Sorrento? 

15 minutes ago, etravel said:

George...I'm pretty sure we are leaning that way! So for Naples is there an excursion or excursions you prefer? We are thinking about the Capri and the Amalfi Coast..looks nice! The couple we are going with have been to Pompeii so I don't know that we will do that although I'm sure it's amazing..Then there is also Sorrento & Amalfi Coast do you prefer Capri or Sorrento? 

I think Pompeii is a must , Capri is certainly a beautiful island , best pizza in the world is there , I would visit Brandi restaurant which was featured on Stanley Tucci first episode of searching for Italy. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, etravel said:

I would say Herculaneum is a must, can find Pompeii Herculaneum combo normally, Herculaneum much better preserved in some areas than Pompeii 

much smaller, former beach/resort town for the Roman emperors etc

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CanadaRob said:

I would say Herculaneum is a must, can find Pompeii Herculaneum combo normally, Herculaneum much better preserved in some areas than Pompeii 

much smaller, former beach/resort town for the Roman emperors etc

I don’t doubt what you say but Pompeii is so huge it can hours just by yourself, by the way Brandi is in Naples not far from the dock a couple of blocks from the galleria.

We are headed back to Naples via cruise for the first time in nearly 20 years - Odyssey of the Seas in August 2023.  At the time, we booked an excursion that allowed us to walk Mt Vesuvius, then visit the ruins of Pompeii later in the day.  Does something comparable no longer exist?  So far, I don't see it in the Cruise Planner.  Plenty of options to Pompeii, but none to include the Vesuvius excursion.