Carnival CEO plans to raise prices: "we are way too much of a value"

talkorpi

MSC is privately held, but is not a single owner. Their cruise biz is nothing compared to their commercial side which does supply tons of cash to the cruise venture. The cruise biz can't hemorrhage cash forever - there will be a limit.

As for raising prices, Carnival already has raised prices for onboard items and now it is time to raise cruise prices. They are not alone in that.

3 hours ago, crazy4themouse said:

I'm sure that you, like me, aren't at all concerned with how Europeans - or anyone else - views us as Texans. 😊 It's (kind of) surprising that there are still a lot of people who view Galveston as some sort of afterthought when it comes to cruising, but it's the 4th busiest embarkation port in the U.S. and there's a reason Carnival and Royal keep putting bigger and newer ships down here. If I'm understanding what sort of line MSC is, I think they could do very, very well down here.

If any of them actually came to Texas, they might not want to leave. Seems like that has what happened with Californians. Having traveled extensively in Europe and having gone to grad school in the UK, generally speaking our standard of living is better here than in much of Europe.  There are a few places in Scotland I might prefer to Texas in the summer time, but in the winter I expect I would change my mind...   

• Like 2

As an aside, the assumptions on that other thread were that us Texans are basically all a bunch of uncultured, "loud" morons who only like chain restaurants like "Hooters" and shirk from experiencing any other culture...and specifically used the example of Mexico!  That's just so wrong it is laughable.  How many times have most lifelong Texans been to Mexico?  Texas was part of Spain (and, later, Mexico) for longer than it has been a U.S. state.  The Hispanic roots of Texas are evident and a large percentage of Texans are of Mexican or Tejano descent.  I was a teenager before I went to Louisiana and in my 20s before I made it to Oklahoma or New Mexico...but I had been to Mexico by the time I was 4 and probably went two or three dozen times over the next two decades.  No lifelong Texan is "shocked" by anything in a Mexican cruise port.   If we are bitching about it, it is probably because we are have been there sooo many times we are sick of going to the same darn place and not because we are offended by it or "shocked" by the Mexican culture.  

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 3

The rest of Canada always say nasty things about Torontonians. They say we are arrogant and think the whole country revolves around us. You know what, they're right!  😁

So what if some Europeans don't like Texas. Hey, at least they are thinking about you!   No one hates Liechtenstein and it's not because there is nothing to hate, it's because no one knows where or what it is. 

So chill out Texans, head out to Chili's and get some Southwest Egg Rolls and a few Tequila Trifecta's and you'll feel much more loved. 😍 😉

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/best-restaurant-chains-texas-17102634.php

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 2

The cruise industry isn’t a charity - it’s for profit.  The goal of every cruise line is to maximize profit.  Prices are low simply because there’s more capacity than demand.  Again, that’s why cruise lines have been raising incidental charges this year in lieu of base fares - if they could, they would.

The problem with cruise ships is that the bulk of their expenses do not decrease with lower passenger counts, hence the need to fill every cabin.  Eventually those free rooms are equating into contribution revenue.

Lots of uneducated hysteria in this thread.  We will never live in a world in which Carnival is priced higher than its peers (unless it substantially improves its product).  And base fares will always be limited to demand.  Yes, some prices are higher than in years past but there’s tons of bargains for travel in 2023 and 2024.

Nothing to get worried about - prices would always increase or decrease with demand. Status quo hasn’t changed.

• Like 1