Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

6 hours ago, HiramDylan said:

The Whitney Houston tribute this evening in the Atrium lasted only about a half-hour.

Normally, the shows in the theater last at least 45 minutes, and there are two per night.  Which means the performer/specialty act is being paid for 90 minutes of work.  Since the theater is unfinished, and the Piazza only has limited seating compared to the theater, management has decided to offer 3 shows per night.  My guess is that rather than paying the “talent” for another show, they are dividing the 90 minutes they are already paying them, into 3 - 30 minute shows instead.  Only ones disadvantaged by this are the paying passengers.  1/3rd less entertainment for the price of admission.  Or, look at this way…2/3rds is better than nothing.

6 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

Or, look at this way…2/3rds is better than nothing.

Look at this, the 3rd try inaugural of the Sun is 2/3 mediocre, at best.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Like a terrarium.

Valid question, does the dome have A/C or some type of climate control?

It is climate controlled, however I think Princess made an mis-judgement with that small inside-to-outside pool.  I’m sure it looked and sounded better on paper than it actuality.  The pool should have only been on the outside.  RCL got it right on the ICON, where the area of the dome outside of the Aqua Theater is strictly for lounging.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

UPDATE:  It is confirmed that the “soft serve” being offered on the pool deck (Deck 17) is a PREMIUM type of soft serve and is chargeable for everyone.  There is an outdoor food stand on one side of “The Promenade” on Deck 9.  (The Promenade is outside along The Eatery.). That is the new location where you can get a complimentary soft serve cone.  However, that location is only open from 11AM to 6PM.  Not at all convenient for anyone lounging on the pool deck during the day, as it would be necessary to take the elevator from 17 midship down to Deck 9 and walk to the more aft location of the soft serve stand.

Also, when the PLUS and Premier went into effect, and Alfredo’s was no longer free, we were told that you could still get a free slice of pizza up on the pool deck (for Royal Class and older ships).  There are now 2 locations for free pizza on the Sun, but don’t get too excited.  The first is on the outside, on The Promenade (Deck 9)…but that is only open from 11AM to 6PM.  The second is part of “The Grill” on Deck 17…but that is only open till 9PM.  

So, don’t get a craving for free soft serve after 6PM or a slice of pizza after 9PM.

Great no ice cream cone while watching MUTS (are they going to charge for the blanket and popcorn) or a slice of pizza at 11pm after leaving Crooners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Unless you are in the circular banquet behind that huge column!🙃

The color scheme is awful, unless the photo is a bit off. A bit too “bordello”

Personal experience? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

People often comment about kids pushing all the elevator buttons. But somehow I have never seen or experienced it. Seems like a bit of an urban myth. (Can a myth be “urban” if it pertains to a ship?)

I thought it was a myth, too, until I did several Christmas cruises. Even then it only happened twice, but yes, it’s pretty irritating, especially when you get in the elevator on 5 and are getting off on 15. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ahoy Shipmates!

Last Monday on post #2712 (page 109) I shared a profile view of the Sun Princess that I post on my cabin door to orient myself as I leave the cabin. Anyway, I noted that the diagram would only work for starboard-side exterior cabins or, as a fellow cruiser pointed out pointed out, interior port-side cabins.

Well, there were a few "dang, I'm on the port side!" and so over the past couple nights I reconstructed a profile that will work for exterior Port-side cabins (or interior starboard ones).

sunprincessprofilePortside.thumb.jpg.09451d3ae9bdc1be9b7f2eab52772173.jpg

As I mentioned in my previous post, I inserted this jpeg image into and Excel spreadsheet that prints on two 8 1/2" x 11" sheets.

Sun Princess profile Postside.xlsx

Just joint the two sheets with tape for a 8 1/2 x 22" display that can be attached to the cabin door with magnets (the photo below shows the starboard-side printout).

profileprintoutexample.thumb.jpg.f3edb5719318d5338df14383bacd8a1e.jpg

Hope this does the trick!

NAVIG.GIF.711a166b563ebb4d0c67cda33b6c4f71.GIF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 14

On 2/26/2024 at 9:39 PM, d9704011 said:

I guess you have a balcony or ocean view cabin then.  It would work dandy with a port side interior.

I replied to you a few days ago that, you're absolutely right about the  display working for an interior portside cabin. I overlooked that completely!

Anyway, for the past couple nights I reconstructed the profile so  it'll work okay for exterior portside cabins:

Sun Princess profile Postside.xlsx

I mentioned that my dear wife was born and raised in Halifax, then moved to Hamilton followed by Toronto (a graduate of York University and UT).

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, akamai guy said:

I replied to you a few days ago that, you're absolutely right about the  display working for an interior portside cabin. I overlooked that completely!

Anyway, for the past couple nights I reconstructed the profile so  it'll work okay for exterior portside cabins:

Sun Princess profile Postside.xlsx 1.77 MB · 2 downloads

I mentioned that my dear wife was born and raised in Halifax, then moved to Hamilton followed by Toronto (a graduate of York University and UT).

This is incredibly generous of you to do. Thank you.

3 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Wow! "Premium" soft serve. I'm intrigued. Must come from only the most refined cows! 😄

raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa_ca443f4786 (1).jpg

Well that's got to be the easiest job on a ship, working there, nothing to do all day. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, valdean said:

Thanks!  I believe that is true.  I was finally able to find this on Princess website:

These Cabanas are located on Deck 9 with limited entry to an extra-large lounge space with unique outdoor furniture...

So hopefully that limits crowds in front of folks' cabana rooms!

And still no shade there either 

On 2/28/2024 at 4:54 PM, dides said:

Spellbound was never going to be ready for the first inaugural cruises.

According to this press release it might be ready by the fourth cruise onwards  

Mistakenly assumed that Spellbound was going to be a magic show with beverages and would probably have a 39.00 cover charge.  No, instead it's three sittings of a show with drinks and dinner @ 149.00 pp.  I hope it blows up in their face and it's changed by the time the Star comes out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/28/2024 at 5:59 PM, Mike07 said:

Looks beautiful and peaceful, but it's empty. I cannot imagine the chaos with 5000+ people

The ship itself tops out at 4300.  The Excel Class of Carnival, which is based on the same platform as the Sphere Class holds 2000 more people.

14 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Here are a couple photos....

Sometimes photos do not lie.....

WOW

Sanctuary on REGAL Princess

RegSun-23368-1487713301.jpg

Sanctuary on SUN Princess.

image.thumb.png.5efedc8fbc43e11499a2778218bade63.png

Is it possible that they weren’t finished with the Sanctuary and just stuck a lot of chairs there until they have the area completed? I hope so because if not, this is just horrible. Why would anyone pay for that?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Mistakenly assumed that Spellbound was going to be a magic show with beverages and would probably have a 39.00 cover charge.  No, instead it's three sittings of a show with drinks and dinner @ 149.00 pp.  I hope it blows up in their face and it's changed by the time the Star comes out.

That’s wayyy too expensive. $50 tops is what I’d pay per person

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

The menu on deck 6 and 7 of the MDR are the same, and they do change daily.  In fact,  I was pleasantly surprised to find that the breakfast menu in the MDR, has a lot more options than on the other ships in the rest of the fleet.

As for deck 8 of the MDR.  It is now being referred to in he Princess Patter as the “American Diner”. It is open daily from 10AM to 3PM, and then from 6PM to 10PM.  Reservations are NOT available, and walk-in only.

I saw that the American Diner has bacon and eggs on the menu. Do you know if that is available at dinner time? I would love that. 

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2024 at 3:35 AM, Ellipooh said:

I kinda like the window seat/reading nook shown on the OV cabin 

I absolutely love the cabanas in the Sanctuary, I could easily spend the week there and never move, but still haven’t seen pricing. The rest of the Sanctuary is quite … underwhelming. So much that I probably would forgo entirely and spend that money on a nicer cabin. 

I’m going to miss the spiral staircases in the Piazza just from a practical standpoint, to move between the decks. 

The lounges in the Sphere are lovely, but I can’t imagine the chaos that will likely occur each morning as folks stake their claims. 

Someone posted $450 a day somewhere but I cant find it now

9 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

LOVE that Princess Live has reverted back to something far more akin to the Explorer's Lounge instead of a cold, industrial TV studio.  On the day that the first Princess Live was shown in mock-up I voiced my opinion that the conversion was a big mistake.  Took them a decade to hear me. 

Me too however it looks very very small.
I hope its just the photos that dont do it justice and its bigger for real.

1 hour ago, LittleTinker said:

Someone posted $450 a day somewhere but I cant find it now

Still cheaper than $1800-$3500 on Royal Caribbean’s private island.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Well done!  Large. Sufficient shade. Some sun peeking through by the rail. All good features. 

They could have done better with the balcony furniture though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

Still cheaper than $1800-$3500 on Royal Caribbean’s private island.  

Believing that people pay that on cruise lines other than Silversea, Regent etc. is giving me chills. 

Nothing I can imagine getting from Princess or let´s say Celebrity could ever justify that.

I understand that the few days of vacation that most US employees get, make those days their holy grail - but still...

During Covid, Silversea offered me 12 days (or was it even 14?) on Silver Moon in their highest category as a solo traveler with 5 ports for about 3700 $ - and not per day.

Nuts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

IMG_0818.thumb.jpeg.2f4721d365a9185e211478d066aeae66.jpegIMG_0819.thumb.jpeg.caee1fa2d16fc07311470a6fd95e9ac4.jpeg

Thanks!! 
Oh no, are those loungers in front of the treadmills? 😭 Why did they downgrade the gym so much from the Enchanted Princess, where all you saw was the sea? 

• Like 3