Queen Elizabeth back to tier three (currently in Tasmania)

lahore

Hi all.  I am sharing this not to be a ‘downer’ nor a drama queen, but because when I was about to board last week there was a dearth of accurate information to be had.  I am now onboard QE.  Yesterday morning (Saturday) as we docked for an over nighter in Hobart we were all tested for Covid (mandatory).  This morning we had an announcement to all rooms that there was a “small amount” of covid on board and that “some services may change”.  It was infuriatingly vague and clearly designed to tell us nothing useful.  I heard a rumour from one junior staff member, and later confirmed with someone much more senior whom I have befriended (no names/ranks to protect them).  The story is that we are either currently in, or imminently moving to ‘Tier Three” for covid.  If you con’t know what means, the NSW website for covid and cruise ships in Australian waters is the most useful.  We will, obviously, be taking extra care.   I am providing this information for anyone boarding on the 22nd purely in the interests of accuracy because you will not get that from the cruise lines.

Regards Lahore (Dr). 

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much, Lahore, for posting on this important topic.  We embark on 7 January, so we’re following with keen interest.  I’m hoping our 4 vax status and actually recovering from Covid (both) late September should provide adequate cover.  Do you know if Covid patients are isolating in their own staterooms, or if Cunard is continuing to move pax to designated isolation areas?  Which services have been impacted?  So grateful for any information you are able to kindly provide.  Hoping you both stay well and are able to enjoy your cruise.

Linda

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Thanks so much, Lahore, for posting on this important topic.  We embark on 7 January, so we’re following with keen interest.  I’m hoping our 4 vax status and actually recovering from Covid (both) late September should provide adequate cover.  Do you know if Covid patients are isolating in their own staterooms, or if Cunard is continuing to move pax to designated isolation areas?  Which services have been impacted?  So grateful for any information you are able to kindly provide.  Hoping you both stay well and are able to enjoy your cruise.

Linda

Currently runny out of connectivity. Will get back tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Linda

Hi all. So I finally got some more internet connection.  I’ll try to address your questions @Mareblu:

We are in same situation as you: 4x vax plus I had Covid a month or so back so hoping we don’t get it.

This is what I have heard about Covid patients (but it’s not all first hand):  Anyone who is unfortunate enough to develop symptoms or test positive are to return to their cabin and phone medical (that’s fact).  From there on I can’t vouch for what happens personally but I understand that if you are in an inside or window cabin you are moved to a balcony and locked up for five days or until you test negative (not certain on last part of that).  If you are the partner of the sick person you can still wander about until/if you test positive but you have to eat in the cabin.

I don’t know where the designated isolation areas are, if in fact there are any.

So far laundries are closed, bar service is waiters at tables only, some weird and some totally farcical/tokenistic stuff like trivia in the Lion is packed solid with no social distancing whatsoever but they are no longer swapping answers for marking,  in Commodore’s last night there were signs on some tables that they were not to be used, but as it was a sail away the signs got moved or simply seemed to vanish and nobody seemed to care.  Masks everywhere unless eating/drinking and mandatory on tenders and tours.  

The staff are all totally aware that we are tier three but passengers have still not been officially told anything at all in relation to statistics, apart from being treated like children and reminded to wear masks.  In general, the mood onboard doesn’t seem to have altered at all and people are generally having a good time.  My partner and I are slightly adjusting our behaviour, for example I was planning to spend today in the aqua therapy area and now I am not (aerosol droplets), we ate in the buffet last night and took our food as far away from others as possible and I had lunch on the aft deck in the fresh air despite that it was quite chilly.  There are ways to be careful.  

I would advise you to just be aware, pack as though you might not have access to a laundry, and come prepared to be disappointed about some things that may not be exactly as you would have liked.  Also be prepared to do your own ‘intel’ on board because the powers will tell you absolutely nothing, which is the main thing I find lacking.

Edited by lahore
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, lahore said:

Hi all. So I finally got some more internet connection.  I’ll try to address your questions @Mareblu:

We are in same situation as you: 4x vax plus I had Covid a month or so back so hoping we don’t get it.

This is what I have heard about Covid patients (but it’s not all first hand):  Anyone who is unfortunate enough to develop symptoms or test positive are to return to their cabin and phone medical (that’s fact).  From there on I can’t vouch for what happens personally but I understand that if you are in an inside or window cabin you are moved to a balcony and locked up for five days or until you test negative (not certain on last part of that).  If you are the partner of the sick person you can still wander about until/if you test positive but you have to eat in the cabin.

I don’t know where the designated isolation areas are, if in fact there are any.

So far laundries are closed, bar service is waiters at tables only, some weird and some totally farcical/tokenistic stuff like trivia in the Lion is packed solid with no social distancing whatsoever but they are no longer swapping answers for marking,  in Commodore’s last night there were signs on some tables that they were not to be used, but as it was a sail away the signs got moved or simply seemed to vanish and nobody seemed to care.  Masks everywhere unless eating/drinking and mandatory on tenders and tours.  

The staff are all totally aware that we are tier three but passengers have still not been officially told anything at all in relation to statistics, apart from being treated like children and reminded to wear masks.  In general, the mood onboard doesn’t seem to have altered at all and people are generally having a good time.  My partner and I are slightly adjusting our behaviour, for example I was planning to spend today in the aqua therapy area and now I am not (aerosol droplets), we ate in the buffet last night and took our food as far away from others as possible and I had lunch on the aft deck in the fresh air despite that it was quite chilly.  There are ways to be careful.  

I would advise you to just be aware, pack as though you might not have access to a laundry, and come prepared to be disappointed about some things that may not be exactly as you would have liked.  Also be prepared to do your own ‘intel’ on board because the powers will tell you absolutely nothing, which is the main thing I find lacking.

Thanks for the update, sounds exactly the same as a couple of weeks ago when we were in tier 3 after Darwin and our cancelled call to Bali.

inconsistencies were every where , especially the Golden Lion, Cunard says can’t go to the laundrette, but you can have a couple of hundred people crammed into the Golden Lion for a sing a long or a quiz, so frustrating.

on you point about no information, what would you like to know, knowing the number of positive cases is a nice to have , but in the real world useless information. Bearing in mind if some one is positive they are in isolation , so out of circulation , so the absolute number is just a number , you can’t change anything, based on knowing the number . Tier 3 is defined as at lease 10% of all onboard so about 250 cases, this number will change daily as people go into or come out of isolation.  Giving a number of cases will have one of two effects in some cases it will satisfy and reassure, in other cases it will just ramp up the anxiety levels. 

From Cunard perspective damned if they do damned if they don’t.

having lives through life onboard through tier 3 my advise would be , keep wearing the mask, maintain social distancing as much as you can and try to get on with life and try no to let Covid spoil you holiday .

as a side note I have spent 56 days on the ship since it left Barcelona in October , and will rejoin in Melbourne later this week , so far with simple precaution remained Covid free.  After a week travelling around Australia and seeing how people are behaving on dry land , in regards to the increasing Covid rate in NSW and Victoria , I will be glad to be back on the ship.

• Like 3

Hi all,

Just  wondering what happens if you test positive near the end of the cruise and you are still in your isolation period on the day you disembark and you don’t live locally.  We will be arriving on QE in Sydney, then have a flight back to Adelaide in the afternoon. Do we have to find a hotel in Sydney to complete isolation?

Thanks

17 minutes ago, VeesterG said:

Hi all,

Just  wondering what happens if you test positive near the end of the cruise and you are still in your isolation period on the day you disembark and you don’t live locally.  We will be arriving on QE in Sydney, then have a flight back to Adelaide in the afternoon. Do we have to find a hotel in Sydney to complete isolation?

Thanks

I would have thought once you leave the ship, what you do is your decision.  If there is no state mandate to isolate, no one can force you to isolate.

• Like 4

Having been on board QE this year and caught COVID crossing the Atlantic:

• Moved to an isolation cabin - had no key but door opened from inside - to access services delivered to door.- So you can get out in an emergency
  • If you are still positive on arrival at final port you are disembarked separately and then you are your own responsibility!
  • Having enjoyed months in board this year, we are looking forward to rejoining in Melbourne on Thursday - at least people will be aware unlike here on shore!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, VeesterG said:

Hi all,

Thanks

That depends. It's my understanding that in the contract of passage with certain (perhaps all) airlines here (i.e. Qantas), you are taken to have attested that you do not have the symptoms of covid. It's perhaps broader than that i.e. that you have not tested postitive but it would be worth checking.

Just disembarked from the QE. No evidence of Covid aboard (coughing etc) although the captain did acknowledge “a few” cases. Believe Cunard did as much as they possibly could in terms of enforcing mask wearing and cleaning. Golden Lion, theatre, and buffet were probably the busiest spots where social distancing was difficult.

Dont put your mask on the table while you eat people! In your pocket please! it’s like leaving a used tissue on your plate!

all in all a wonderful cruise and we have rebooked on board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2022 at 7:06 PM, exlondoner said:

One thing: you say people with Covid are locked up for five days. This is a terrifying thought, in the case of an emergency. Presumably you simply mean confined. The fact they don’t have a key doesn’t mean they are locked in.

Yes, sorry, turn of phrase.  Not locked in. 

• Like 1

We board QE on 20 Jan for a very short 8 days to Tasmania from Sydney. We have had 3 cruises on each Cunard ship in the past and participated in all the "formality" onboard the ships - but times are now changed and I no longer feel the mood to wear Tuxedo to dinner. So I am thinking of just taking a coat (no tie) and dine at night in the Buffet. We can enjoy the MDR for breakfast and Lunch without the formality. I am anticipating spending much time on the outer decks or our balcony this time around - if the weather allows. This will be our last Cunard cruise ever so it will be a bit of a shame to have to do this - but we will be fortunate to just get to sea again. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

Sorry to hear this Barry, but I completely understand.  Will you cruise on other cruise lines?

We are probably a bit "cruised out" now - and I can only see cruising out of Brisbane on our future radar. We have had some wonderful cruises - World Cruise with P&O UK, 2x 3 Cunard Queens including Norway, the Baltic Sea, St Petersburg twice and a Transatlantic to New York on QM2, inaugural cruise to PNG to see the Kundu Festival, cruise to Tahiti, Hawaii, etc. . Plus many others too numerous to name 🙂

• Like 4

On 12/25/2022 at 12:36 PM, bazzaw said:

We board QE on 20 Jan for a very short 8 days to Tasmania from Sydney. We have had 3 cruises on each Cunard ship in the past and participated in all the "formality" onboard the ships - but times are now changed and I no longer feel the mood to wear Tuxedo to dinner. So I am thinking of just taking a coat (no tie) and dine at night in the Buffet. We can enjoy the MDR for breakfast and Lunch without the formality. I am anticipating spending much time on the outer decks or our balcony this time around - if the weather allows. This will be our last Cunard cruise ever so it will be a bit of a shame to have to do this - but we will be fortunate to just get to sea again. 

Cunard seem to have downgraded the formal dress requirement - website says:

A formal suit, shirt, and tie of any colour will also do just fine for Gala Evening.

I would think a jacket the same colour (or close enough) as trousers and a tie would be fine. DH has black trousers with a black jacket and bow tie - perfectly adequate.

It seems a pity to miss the MDR on a special night especially as you say this may be your last Cunard cruise.

We will be boarding as you disembark. 

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

A formal suit, shirt, and tie of any colour will also do just fine for Gala Evening.

I would think a jacket the same colour (or close enough) as trousers and a tie would be fine. DH has black trousers with a black jacket and bow tie - perfectly adequate.

It seems a pity to miss the MDR on a special night especially as you say this may be your last Cunard cruise.

As I said in a previous post, Aussieflyer, we'll see you on the gangway😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

Really there is little difference ( in terms of effort) between a man putting on a Tax and Bowtie - than a Dark Business suit and tie 🙂

• Like 2