Panama Canal Complete Transit Jan/Feb 2024

KEG306

Currently looking at cruise options for a Panama Canal Complete Transit in Jan or Feb 2024.  I've got quotes from both Princess and NCL on 15 Day itineraries.  We've previously sailed with both and have no real preference.  The Princess Itinerary would be on the Emerald Princess and NCL's were on either the Bliss or Joy.  I keep hearing that Princess is the best option for Panama Canal cruises.  Comparing these 2 itineraries.  NCL comes in quite a bit less expensive when they factor in airfare.

Looking for input from past sailers before making a final decision.  Thank you.

Edited by KEG306

There is a whole board devoted to Panama Canal cruising, located here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/54-panama-canal/

Some reading there would reveal a very important issue is old locks versus new locks. Pretty sure Emerald Princess would go through the old, but the NCL ships would go through the new, but check the long thread on the topic.

I am not sure I would say Princess is the "best" (by what definition of "best")...as that is totally subjective. We have been through the Canal 4 full times and one partial. None of which were on Princess...I think we survived.

Pre-new locks, I chose an NCL cruise through the PC, because of the same reasoning: I could get a balcony on the Norwegian Star for the price of an inside on a Holland America ship. 

The cruise was awful! Lots of people say, you didn't give NCL's new ships a try!!! To which I say, if a line can't keep ALL of their ships up to a minimum standard, why would I want to sail with them?

I have not yet sailed with Princess -- a number of bookings -- I have a PVP! but the cruises have always wound up cancelled. Including two by the Pandemic... one of which would have been on the Emerald!

5 hours ago, KEG306 said:

Currently looking at cruise options for a Panama Canal Complete Transit in Jan or Feb 2024.  I've got quotes from both Princess and NCL on 15 Day itineraries.  We've previously sailed with both and have no real preference.  The Princess Itinerary would be on the Emerald Princess and NCL's were on either the Bliss or Joy.  I keep hearing that Princess is the best option for Panama Canal cruises.  Comparing these 2 itineraries.  NCL comes in quite a bit less expensive when they factor in airfare.

Looking for input from past sailers before making a final decision.  Thank you.

Having completed 20+ transits with P&O/Princess, when you consider all the ships transiting the canal, I certainly wouldn't consider them the best. Possibly a step up from NCL, but a considerable distance from the best.

The Emerald is a Super Grand Class, which added an extra deck of cabins to the Grand Class of ships, so they have an additional 500 pax in the same public spaces. With a Grand Class hull, she is post-Panamax, so must use the "New" locks. Don't know the NCL ships, so can't comment on whether they are Panamax or post-Panamax.