Recent reports on how strict is Celebrity about early arrivals?

Nashna

20 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Random, tsk tsk tsk.

I have learned from observation that this is a site for criticisms, complaints, gripes, and commisserating with how bad things are on Celebrity. 

It doesn't bode well to apologize. It's nice, but for real street cred, no no no.

Trust me, gripe more and they'll LOVE you.

Now, let's take it from the top.

Aaaand, ... ACTION! 🎬

I have learned a lot of valuable information from this site.  Some criticisms on here seem to deal with "unacceptable" behavior that has apparently emerged since covid at the food store, gas station, local restaurant, etc. and flowed into the cruise industry (IMHO).  I believe some of the criticism is "push back" by folks fed up with, again, Covid-induced behavior.  I often find a nugget of positive information (to me anyway) in what I learn from criticism.  🙂.  Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
8 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

I have learned a lot of valuable information from this site.  Some criticisms on here seem to deal with "unacceptable" behavior that has apparently emerged since covid at the food store, gas station, local restaurant, etc. and flowed into the cruise industry (IMHO).  I believe some of the criticism is "push back" by folks fed up with, again, Covid-induced behavior.  I often find a nugget of positive information (to me anyway) in what I learn from criticism.  🙂.  Just my 2 cents

Yes, sadly, and honestly I don't know why, society has a few new norms, and not all of them good. 😌

11 hours ago, D C said:

In Celebrity's own words (emphasis mine)
"For your comfort and your convenience we recommend that you arrive to the pier within your selected arrival time. Early arrivals may have a prolonged wait time in potentially warm or inclement weather
conditions."

Unlike the ever-popular dress code topics where people argue that Celebrity stating "are not allowed" means "wear shorts if you like", the arrival time is clearly stated as a recommendation, not a requirement. 

3 hours ago, C4HCG said:

And that answers the OP question, they may have to wait, and I hope they do. Celebrity should make it a requirement.

It also answers your questions as to why they're not jumping the queue.  If you arrive earlier than the time you have, you might have to wait, OR we might let you into the queue with everyone else.   You can't jump a queue when you're invited into it by the organisation responsible for managing said queue. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ShelleyQT said:

@dlh015, actually it's 45 days prior to departure.  If you wait until 30 days, you'll be aced out of any early embarkation times. 

And you are absolutely right! I just went back and checked...gosh, math is hard...lol...

• Haha 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, dlh015 said:

And you are absolutely right! I just went back and checked...gosh, math is hard...lol...

How quickly do time slots fill up?

It's been almost a week since scheduling opened up for my cruise. All time slots still available. 

16 hours ago, D C said:

In Celebrity's own words (emphasis mine)
"For your comfort and your convenience we recommend that you arrive to the pier within your selected arrival time. Early arrivals may have a prolonged wait time in potentially warm or inclement weather
conditions."

Unlike the ever-popular dress code topics where people argue that Celebrity stating "are not allowed" means "wear shorts if you like", the arrival time is clearly stated as a recommendation, not a requirement. 

Thank you for the highlights. However I would question your interpretation. As X has no control over how the Port Authority enforces arrivals it has to use "recommend". Similarly as X has no control over how many passengers will choose to arrive outside of their alloted times it also has to use the word "may". Not dissimilar to - if you break the speed limit you may be fined - which I assume you don't interrupt as you are free to drive at any speed you like.

I’m happy to provide a datapoint on this. We sailed on December 10th on Apex from Terminal 25. Our allotted arrival time was 11:30-12:00, we actually got there at 11:15. No lines and told to walk on in to terminal. In fact there were no lines anywhere and we were through and onboard by 11:25.

Best embarkation we have ever had.😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, themutis said:

We have a 10:30 - 11:00 time slot for check in.  Just curious, what happens if our flight is late and we don't get there till noon?  Will we have to wait till everyone else boards and have to board last?

To follow the opinion of many here, I'm believe they would ask you to go back home and not sail.

In reality, simply go check in as you would if you had no assigned time.  No need to wait.

5 hours ago, the penguins said:

Thank you for the highlights. However I would question your interpretation. As X has no control over how the Port Authority enforces arrivals it has to use "recommend". Similarly as X has no control over how many passengers will choose to arrive outside of their alloted times it also has to use the word "may". Not dissimilar to - if you break the speed limit you may be fined - which I assume you don't interrupt as you are free to drive at any speed you like.

Your speeding analogy is a non sequitur as the requirement to follow speed limits is actually codified with a violation being punishable (there is no 'may' in the codified law).  Nor are speed limits a recommendation as is the arrival time. 

Celebrity could easily have followed suit with an actual rule stating "do not show up early or you WILL be forced to wait".  No need for the port authority to do anything differently.  Then they could still say, "It's your lucky day. I'm going to let you go on this one"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themutis said:

We have a 10:30 - 11:00 time slot for check in.  Just curious, what happens if our flight is late and we don't get there till noon?  Will we have to wait till everyone else boards and have to board last?

Since there's virtually no enforcement in US at least, just walk in at your leisure 

1 hour ago, zanderblue said:

I’m happy to provide a datapoint on this. We sailed on December 10th on Apex from Terminal 25. Our allotted arrival time was 11:30-12:00, we actually got there at 11:15. No lines and told to walk on in to terminal. In fact there were no lines anywhere and we were through and onboard by 11:25.

Best embarkation we have ever had.😊

Yup, been this way for over a year

1 hour ago, themutis said:

No, you walk right in. If there is a line, go to port agent at front and show that you are there after your window and they put you at front. 

You didn't mention which port you are boarding.   I've found that at FLL and MIA they strongly enforce boarding times.    I found that in San Pedro (LAX) with only 50% capacity there were no lines and anyone could board when they arrived without anyone being made to wait.

We were in a suite with the earliest boarding time of 11:30 so could have boarded an time.   Our flight didn't' arrive until 11:45 and were at port at 1:00 PM .  No lines no wait and we were aboard in 5 minutes.

27 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You didn't mention which port you are boarding.   I've found that at FLL and MIA they strongly enforce boarding times.    I found that in San Pedro (LAX) with only 50% capacity there were no lines and anyone could board when they arrived without anyone being made to wait.

We were in a suite with the earliest boarding time of 11:30 so could have boarded an time.   Our flight didn't' arrive until 11:45 and were at port at 1:00 PM .  No lines no wait and we were aboard in 5 minutes.

After the restart there was enforcement but for well over a year there hasn't been and its been just like San Pedro...So in FLL an MIA, immediately after the restart it went who is how checkin devolved:

1)  Queued lines outside the terminal, employees enforcing them

2)  Queued lines gone, employees posted at the terminal doors which you show your negative covid tests to, once inside you'll be met with check in employees

3)  Currently, no employees outside or often not around when you first enter, you head up stairs to the to the XRay machine, only after XRays do you encounter any check-in employees

I try 

3 hours ago, D C said:

Your speeding analogy is a non sequitur as the requirement to follow speed limits is actually codified with a violation being punishable (there is no 'may' in the codified law).  Nor are speed limits a recommendation as is the arrival time. 

Celebrity could easily have followed suit with an actual rule stating "do not show up early or you WILL be forced to wait".  No need for the port authority to do anything differently.  Then they could still say, "It's your lucky day. I'm going to let you go on this one"

I believe the analogy is valid. In the UK if you speed you are "liable" for prosecution but it is not a definite as the police have an element of discretion.

X cannot use your wording as they have no way to make the Port Authorities force passengers to wait. 

Clearly different ports are enforcing/ interpreting the rules differently. However so long as X continues to require us to book a timed slot we will continue to arrive within our alloted time. 

So far boarding on all our post Covid cruises has been far quicker than on any pre Covid ones.