3 more ships to be sold from Carnival CORP, including two Costa

CarnivalShips480

11 hours ago, RD64 said:

Nunagoras

I whole heartedly agree with your analysis of the European market since 2002. Do you have any insight / opinions on the South American market as well? This appears to be another market where MSC has overtaken Costa. And let us not forget, South America is where Costa initially started in 1947. - Many thanks for the kind words; @RD64!... I'd to say it even stronger: In South America, MSC has become the de facto cruise line on the mainstream. Either way directly with those very international cruises or indirectly by the way of full chartering ships with local event providers. MSC has currently at least a big ship; the MSC Fantasia fully chartered (with only the marine crew inside; all the others are on the provider's responsibility to find) to such a local event provider that is doing the short 3-4 day getaway cruises with local top Brazilian music stars performing their shows onboard. It's a fully new sort of beast! If Brazil continues growing to support a 4 starish service on the likes of the regular MSC, then they'll to have a bright future out there!...

On another point regarding passenger demographics on European cruises… I have sailed Holland America (Barcelona to Venice), Princess (Barcelona to Venice), and RCL (Venice to Venice). On all three of those cruises, Americans were certainly in the minority. Anything leaving from Barcelona in the summer - particularly August - will have a high percentage of Spaniards. On these cruises you will definitely find Europeans in the majority - but the rest of the world will also be onboard. - True! I believe Europeans were discovering cruising just on the years before the pandemic. In some places some caution remains today... But it is dilluting with the time. Come 2023 onward and all will return the normal...

One of my most memorable experiences was on HAL hosting a “Commonwealth Luncheon” - Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India, Barbados, Jamaica were all represented. - Wonderful! I had a similar experience on my MSC's transatlantic from Brazil to Portugal; in that case it was a beer fest with the huge German contingent aboard, that was the 2nd most represented nationality aboard, just below the Brazilians.

Carnival in Europe (in my opinion) would appeal to those who want an American experience in Europe without having to expose themselves to different cultures. As someone posted - we want the same kind of fun. Sadly this is what Carnival has done to the Venezia - dumbing it down into a Disneyesque experience of Europe. - I also believe so. It will perhaps to be the most American experience you'll find here; and that prompts for a Carnival success here, no matter how the Europeans are making their own market. It'll be an interesting niche market to follow, especially once economically it makes sense to go Carnival from the US!...

Have your answers along the quote and have a wonderful Christmas!...

@Nunagoras

Thank you for your insightful responses. The Brazilian market is certainly appears to be unique but in a good way. Pre Covid - I am going to say Winter 2017/2018 - someone had posted a video from a Brazilian cruise of people on deck dancing - spontaneous dancing - not an organized line dance - to “Sau Quer Vrau”. It was infectious and you could see how much people were enjoying themselves. A transatlantic to Brazil is definitely in the cards in the future.

MerryChristmas to you as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RD64 said:

Carnival in Europe (in my opinion) would appeal to those who want an American experience in Europe without having to expose themselves to different cultures. As someone posted - we want the same kind of fun. Sadly this is what Carnival has done to the Venezia - dumbing it down into a Disneyesque experience of Europe.

This is exactly it. Carnival Corp has other brands in Europe and it would be foolish for Carnival Cruise Line to compete more with other Carnival brands.

The same is true in the Caribbean and other areas.

Royal doesn't have as many brands and so not the same issues.

• Like 3

On 12/21/2022 at 10:55 AM, jsglow said:

Greg, you're super knowledgeable about this stuff so I ask.  Do you have an easy breakdown about the ship classes and numbers in each that Costa has?  I agree that the hulls that make sense for Carnival are Spirit, Dream, maybe Vista, and Excel class vessels.  Nothing else makes sense to hang onto as 'available inventory'.

get all the Spirit class from Costa they have, and move one to Baltimore

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We just got our answer as to the 3rd ship...... AIDAaura.

So no Carnival brand ships are part of this 'right-sizing' process.  Guess the Elation, Paradise and Sunshine are all part of the medium term operational plan.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/01/aidaaura-to-leave-carnival-corporation-fleet-this-september/?feed_id=188&_unique_id=63b6be318f47a&fbclid=IwAR1n-r-xanBDM5KP-1lw8wUuy1x_mB6SiYg_Wvsqm8d2qjrLNjJuLb969Zs

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the 2 Costa ships have been specifically named, correct?

No they were not specifically named yet, just widely expected to be Fortuna and Magica. Fortuna will probably depart the fleet at the end of its current SA season and I guess Magica won’t return at all. 

Deliziosa Is the smallest but is used on the World Cruise run so unlikely.

Serena will reenter service at the end of this year in the Caribbean. 

On 12/22/2022 at 10:26 AM, CarnivalShips480 said:

Paradise is scheduled to be in Tampa for 2024 doing 4+5 days. Pride is scheduled to be doing the 7 days from now to April 2023, November 2023 to April 2024. Legend is scheduled to do 7 days starting in November 2024. There are no less cruises scheduled than normal. Not sure where the idea came from that Tampa would be without a ship.

Tampa is the best port. We only leave from there.

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

That's a spirit class ship that's only 12 years old. If it goes anywhere, it should be to CCL.

Agreed but probably unlike since they do a World Cruise and I can’t imagine them using a larger vessel for that kind of run. 

21 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

What cruise lines register their ships in Portugal?

10 minutes ago, ohioNCLcruiser said:

None of the mid to larger size cruise lines that I can think of. It can also be a temp holding company or bank that temp changed it's reg to Portugal. 

The former brand of Ibero cruises used to flag their ships in Portugal, perhaps sold to a Spanish start up company? If not then probably a bank.

I don’t think they would get that much if it was sold for scrap? 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 12:57 PM, sunonfire said:

Tampa is the best port. We only leave from there.

Because of the Skyway Bridge, only the smaller ships are able to sail out of Tampa. I floated the idea of building a cruise terminal off bayonet point in Pasco county just to the north. It has direct access to Parkway and major highways to get to the airports and would be able to accommodate all the ships.