Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

23 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

Greatadventures.com.au

See photo for catamaran docking next to pontoon.

Operator also offers tours to Green Island (a brief, loading/unloading stop when traveling to outer reef). This stop is good only if you want to swim at a beach, but not ideal for coral viewing.

8503D30E-3D2D-4500-AACB-ADE963461FF1.jpeg

We enjoyed this excursion as well. I took the guided snorkeling and the guide explained the various coral and sea life. We were able to feel/touch a sea cucumber and a hard coral which were the only creatures we could touch. I would recommend as well.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mstadleraz said:

We enjoyed this excursion as well. I took the guided snorkeling and the guide explained the various coral and sea life. We were able to feel/touch a sea cucumber and a hard coral which were the only creatures we could touch. I would recommend as well.

Three solid recommendations. We booked through Viator, but now you have the direct website for booking. Just loved it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mcobean said:

Thanks for the always interesting updates.  As you head to the dragons may I share with you one important thing I learned while visiting that most amazing island.  Be sure to stand next to someone you know is slower than yourself.....😳

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

As you head to the dragons may I share with you one important thing I learned while visiting that most amazing island.  Be sure to stand next to someone you know is slower than yourself.....😳

I found one of those - a moron who "knew better than the guides" and thought it was neat to get really close to a dragon for a picture.

After all, they're big, slow, torpid looking lizards ... what could go wrong? 🍺🥌

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

I found one of those - a moron who "knew better than the guides" and thought it was neat to get really close to a dragon for a picture.

After all, they're big, slow, torpid looking lizards ... what could go wrong? 🍺🥌

Haha, and let's take a look at it from the dragon's point of view.  You are cooped up on this hot, muddy island, constantly yelled at and poked with sticks by punk skinny teenagers, and then there's the diet.  Lamb, lamb, lamb.  Always lamb.  Then along comes this large herd of well fed, plump, slow, Gringos.  And you are already in a foul humor, so what's a normal giant lizard to do???

IMG_6533.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Posted on behalf of Deb & Munro and Alison & Ron, who sailed with us on the Magical Mystery Tour in 2020. Here is a picture of the Captain's Table, when they dined with Captain Lars on a recent sea day.

Captainsdinner.thumb.JPG.70ff5771bdb4661d54f9f1a3df045cab.JPG

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:22 AM, PeabodyMa said:

Do NOT wear anything RED while visiting Komodo Dragons. It attracts the dragons.

Haha!! Not a problem, as the 5' tall, 80 lb locals armed with a 6' stick will (might) save you.

Personally, I use the same logic as Jim, just make sure you aren't the slowest runner 😁😁

On 2/24/2023 at 4:24 PM, mstadleraz said:

On 2/24/2023 at 6:13 PM, mbviking2023 said:

Three solid recommendations. We booked through Viator, but now you have the direct website for booking. Just loved it.

Thank you so much. We have booked this excursion with Great Adventures for the Great Barrier Reef snorkeling for our day in Cairns on the 23/24 Neptune WC. So nice to hear from folks who have actual experience.

Diana

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:29 AM, Jim Avery said:

You do notice the skinny boys with sticks.  Your only defense.  That and the slower people between me and the dragon...  Is it a bad thing to trip your fellow passengers??😱

IMG_3118.mov

That answers my question about how close you get to the dragons.... !

On 2/26/2023 at 3:17 AM, Jim Avery said:

Haha, and let's take a look at it from the dragon's point of view.  You are cooped up on this hot, muddy island, constantly yelled at and poked with sticks by punk skinny teenagers, and then there's the diet.  Lamb, lamb, lamb.  Always lamb.  Then along comes this large herd of well fed, plump, slow, Gringos.  And you are already in a foul humor, so what's a normal giant lizard to do???

IMG_6533.jpeg

Uber eats on Komodo….what’s a big lizard not to like?

• Like 2

The worst part about the Komodo dragons was have to walk back to the ship through the big overhead market with booths selling stuff. I probably would have bought something if I wasn't forced to walk through with all of these over aggressive sales people..Granted, there was a line on the ground that they couldn't cross. But it was awful. You walk down the beach past the deer that will be eaten by dragons and are herded through shops. In the heat.

Just now, stretchcruz said:

The worst part about the Komodo dragons was have to walk back to the ship through the big overhead market with booths selling stuff. I probably would have bought something if I wasn't forced to walk through with all of these over aggressive sales people..Granted, there was a line on the ground that they couldn't cross. But it was awful. You walk down the beach past the deer that will be eaten by dragons and are herded through shops. In the heat.

We will be on Rinca and not Komodo. According to Viking, no one can depart the raised wooden walkway and there did not appear to be very many vendors based on Vikings initial port stop in December.

• Like 2