Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

On 3/5/2023 at 7:53 AM, DesertCruiser2000 said:

So from what I'm reading you all got to go to Komodo and see the Komodo Dragons.  We are going to be on Viking Mars in a couple of weeks and we have been told we don't get to go and being rerouted to the island of Rinca.  There is only one excursion that says we must walk on some raised platform to see things with a walk through a place that we might see wildlife and might see the Komodo Dragon.  Not happy as we've waited for this cruise since 2019.  Have tried to find something more for Rinca as they say it's part of the Komodo National Park, but can't find anything.  Anyone else find anything?  Or has someone already done this detour location and have more info.

I have been to both part of the park after this trip to Rinca. I think it is every bit as nice as Komodo island for me.  The walkways were well build and you had the chance to look down of the dragons, not walk around them. Yes, it takes some of the “fear factor “ away, however some of the small dragons can and have climbed up the walkway. For anyone with mobility issues Rica was a better experience. They have also built a small but efficient museum and and added to the experience nicely.  You can only go in a tour group, no individual exploring but that really did’t seem to be an issue. We ere a late in the day tour and se still saw dragons, enough to get good pictures and some earlier tours also was water buffalo and many monkeys. The experience was only on hour in length but excellent as far as Im concerned, comparing it to the previous Komodo Island trip. This was focused on the island, research being done, and NO gauntlet of sellers to walk through. There is a government Ranger gist shop and cage at the museum and there were a few sellers on a side dock that you could easily avoid.  The ranger had cold water for everyone who wanted it and it was an enjoyed tour.  Overall I think a better choice than Komodo.

• Like 3

Just now, Mcobean said:

while the internet is not great, it is the best I have ever had at sea. With a bit of patience I have been able to do all I need.

I do convert images to lower quality jpegs, about 100k each, before I upload. My experience trying full size images has been the same as you mentioned, they fail to upload 

I totally agree. It is not perfect but definitely the best we have ever had on a viking ocean cruise and we have done eight of them. While Starlink still has dead spots in several areas it has greatly improved the on board service. As Star link gets more coverage the service will proportionately improve. Congratulations to Viking for investing in the Starlink service.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mcobean said:

while the internet is not great, it is the best I have ever had at sea. With a bit of patience I have been able to do all I need.

I do convert images to lower quality jpegs, about 100k each, before I upload. My experience trying full size images has been the same as you mentioned, they fail to upload 

I tried to keep my photos between 200 - 350 K, not only to reduce the size of the blog post being uploaded, but also to reduce the required storage at Wordpress. If I uploaded 2 M, or greater photos, I would quickly run out of storage and have to pay more to Wordpress.

Since most are reading blogs and looking at photos on a phone, ipad or laptop the difference in reduced file size isn't really noticeable.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lswankel said:

I have been to both part of the park after this trip to Rinca. I think it is every bit as nice as Komodo island for me.  The walkways were well build and you had the chance to look down of the dragons, not walk around them. Yes, it takes some of the “fear factor “ away, however some of the small dragons can and have climbed up the walkway. For anyone with mobility issues Rica was a better experience. They have also built a small but efficient museum and and added to the experience nicely.  You can only go in a tour group, no individual exploring but that really did’t seem to be an issue. We ere a late in the day tour and se still saw dragons, enough to get good pictures and some earlier tours also was water buffalo and many monkeys. The experience was only on hour in length but excellent as far as Im concerned, comparing it to the previous Komodo Island trip. This was focused on the island, research being done, and NO gauntlet of sellers to walk through. There is a government Ranger gist shop and cage at the museum and there were a few sellers on a side dock that you could easily avoid.  The ranger had cold water for everyone who wanted it and it was an enjoyed tour.  Overall I think a better choice than Komodo.

Sounds like we would have liked Rinca better. Don't remember on Komodo how long our walk was but it seemed forever because of the heat. And we climbed a hill, coming down my husband fell and cut his arm. It was bleeding. So, naturally, worried about the dragons. The "guides" had no type of first aid or even band aids. I did. (Hey, I was a Girl Scout). It turned out fine but it was so hot for such a long walk. And then the horrible gauntlet of vendors. 

18 hours ago, lswankel said:

Sounds like we would have liked Rinca better. Don't remember on Komodo how long our walk was but it seemed forever because of the heat. And we climbed a hill, coming down my husband fell and cut his arm. It was bleeding. So, naturally, worried about the dragons. The "guides" had no type of first aid or even band aids. I did. (Hey, I was a Girl Scout). It turned out fine but it was so hot for such a long walk. And then the horrible gauntlet of vendors. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

All in All, I do think the Rinca sight will be the better choice for Viking. I also remembered the walk in hot sun up the hill of grass to see nothing. The only problem is there doesn’t seem to be any second choice ( like the pink beach excursion) available for those who don’t want to see the dragons. Perhaps there will be more offered in the future, but for the time being its just the dragons.  I think many people who had done the Komodo experience appreciated their Rina offering more.. its that gauntlet of sales people in Komodo village that leave such a negative last impression on you!

• Like 1

We really liked seeing the dragons. We really hated the heat (can't be helped) and the walk was LONG. Plus we had to wait before we started. They were waiting for people who were late. Frankly, it sucked. And the sales thing was AWFUL!  So, whoever posted disappointed missing Komodo and having to go to Rinca, I think you were lucky...

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, mbviking2023 said:
Many new posts up for our blog from the first two incredible days in Bali. Our Gamelan lesson, trips to the Monkey Forest and The Rice Terraces, and ending the day at the Uluwatu Temple watching the amazing Kecak Dance!

20230302_175654.jpg

20230302_135904a.jpg

20230302_094240G.jpg

20230302_144348.jpg

Your posts are so interesting as always.  Many thanks for your generosity of time in sharing all your wonderful experiences with us all.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback of Rinca.  We look forward to the experience.  It seems you are all having a wonderful time at all the ports we will see in a couple of weeks. 

Enjoy the rest of your trip as I'm sure many of you have waited a long time to complete it.  Safe and calm waters. ❤️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mbviking2023 said:
Many new posts up for our blog from the first two incredible days in Bali. Our Gamelan lesson, trips to the Monkey Forest and The Rice Terraces, and ending the day at the Uluwatu Temple watching the amazing Kecak Dance!

20230302_175654.jpg

Mike & Becky... Thank you so very much for posting the photos and video clips of the Kecak Dance at the Uluwatu Temple in your blog.  I so very much enjoyed your summary of the story behind the Kecak Dance.

I'll take to heart the following advice you posted:

"There are certain things to do if you are in certain parts of the world, right?  If you pass through Northeastern Australia, try to snorkel or scuba at the Great Barrier Reef.  If you get to Bali, make plans to go the Uluwatu Temple at sunset and watch the Kecak Dance." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, UWDawg said:

Mike & Becky... Thank you so very much for posting the photos and video clips of the Kecak Dance at the Uluwatu Temple in your blog.  I so very much enjoyed your summary of the story behind the Kecak Dance.

I'll take to heart the following advice you posted:

"There are certain things to do if you are in certain parts of the world, right?  If you pass through Northeastern Australia, try to snorkel or scuba at the Great Barrier Reef.  If you get to Bali, make plans to go the Uluwatu Temple at sunset and watch the Kecak Dance." 

After tonight I have to add another. When in Saigon a must see is the Golden Dragon Water Puppet Theater! So cool. A 1000 year old tradition. We'll have a blog post about it when we catch our breath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 10:08 AM, mbviking2023 said:

After tonight I have to add another. When in Saigon a must see is the Golden Dragon Water Puppet Theater! So cool. A 1000 year old tradition. We'll have a blog post about it when we catch our breath.

It was very special!!!  I even got squirted!

On 3/8/2023 at 10:15 AM, mbviking2023 said:

Was the outting to the Uluwatu Temple watching the amazing Kecak Dance organized by Viking, or did you use an external tour company? It looks breathtaking.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BobCatter said:

Was the outting to the Uluwatu Temple watching the amazing Kecak Dance organized by Viking, or did you use an external tour company? It looks breathtaking.

Thanks, this was something we organized on our own.  We had hired a guide to find us the Gamelan lesson, and we also asked about going to Uluwatu.  He took us there and guided us through the gates and waited for us afterwards.

His name is Sherif Wirayuda  sherifwirayuda@gmail.com or whatsapp - +62 8133 7091 370

And it really was amazing.  did you see the videos of it we posted?  

Viking had a trip to Uluwatu, but not to see the dance.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 10:47 PM, mstadleraz said:

Photos from Indonesia...

20230228_104533.jpg

20230301_134254.jpg

20230302_113527.jpg

20230303_105928.jpg

20230303_110824.jpg

20230303_183339.jpg

20230305_080338.jpg

20230303_111649.jpg

20230305_101407.jpg

Your photos are amazing - thank you so much for posting them.  I loved the photo of the dragon - but out of interest to the WC bloggers generally - are the photos taken with a zoom lens or can you really see the animals with the naked eye so to speak?.   I tend to only feel I've had a great view of a creature if I can see its face without needing a telephoto lens the length of a small child.  Cheers.    

29 minutes ago, 60s Wombat said:

Your photos are amazing - thank you so much for posting them.  I loved the photo of the dragon - but out of interest to the WC bloggers generally - are the photos taken with a zoom lens or can you really see the animals with the naked eye so to speak?.   I tend to only feel I've had a great view of a creature if I can see its face without needing a telephoto lens the length of a small child.  Cheers.    

scroll back a page or two.  I posted a short video of the dragons close up.

5 hours ago, 60s Wombat said:

Thank you. It really depends on where the Komodos are at the time of the visit. Some were at a distance and others were very close. Since the dragons are able to wander, the views vary

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 60s Wombat said:

I shot some great closeups just with my cell phone camera.  They were that close.

20230228_132736.jpg

20230228_130346.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 9:08 AM, mbviking2023 said:

This is defiantly on our list for next year !

• Like 2