Deja Vu All Over Again! - Mardi Gras NYE Mostly Live - Let's run it back!

TxTeach79

Howdy y'all!

Yeah, I know.... I just did this about a month ago......

But as I said back then, I took advantage of some great deals and a revised school calendar this year and booked both the Thanksgiving and NYE sailings this year - down to being in the exact same cabin! Last time I was solo, and this time my better half (B) is along for the ride! Because of that, and because I don't want to be TOO obnoxious (it's a high bar, people), I probably won't post QUITE as much as I did last time, but honestly B likes CC too, so I'm sure she won't mind if I update on my downtime. Plus, she loooooves her naps. Especially in an inside cabin, or as she calls them, her "sleep chambers".....

She was with me on the 10 day Miracle to Alaska this summer, where I did the review after the fact:

Anyway, we're starting off with three nights on property at WDW. I used to live in South Florida and had an annual pass, but since moving back home to the Dallas area I haven't been in over a decade, so even though it's an insanely crowded time of year, I'm excited to see it all again. B grew up in the shadow of DLR in SoCal, and logged one trip out to Florida when she was a kid. 

I'll get to all that here a little later. Honestly, there's way less energy and enthusiasm for me than I expected in this post, since I'm currently stressing aggressively over Southwest Airlines' seeming decision to just punt and go home today. B was stuck at LGB (Long Beach) trying to get home to Dallas Love all day, and ended up stuck there and having to pay for a late flight out of LAX on American tomorrow. She'll then have to re-pack, sleep a few hours, and head to DFW for her AA flight to Orlando on Wednesday morning. 

Meanwhile, I'm scheduled to go out of DAL on Southwest tomorrow at 6:30pm, but it's currently a complete disaster and they've already cancelled huge chunks of flights tomorrow morning (I'm burning the Flight Aware app up), so I'm going to pack tonight, then get up early and assess the situation.... because unfortunately, if it's not gonna happen I have to get on the road to Florida well ahead of that flight time in order to get there comfortably. Tough situation, but we'll figure it out!

So yeah - dryer just beeped, so time to unload and get to packing. I'll update more shortly as we see where this is all headed! 

Oh yeah, this'll be my 30th cruise on Carnival. Not a milestone, but pretty cool! Even cooler - never done a NYE sailing, so I'm pretty stoked about that! Okay. Gotta focus. Talk soon! 

• Like 11

Uh oh. My 6:30pm DAL-MCO is still showing as on time, but cancellations are raining in around it. Getting into a “you’re probably driving, big boy” mindset. 

thing is, I need to decide if I’m driving or not by 6-7 hours prior to my flight or else I’m scrambling and driving through the night. Everything else is sold out or more than a grand. So basically I run the risk of playing it safe and driving the whole thing, paying for two more hotel nights and seven nights of parking at the pier and the flight still happening…. But that’s what I’m looking at. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 4

Looking forward to another great review! Sorry that you have to stress over your flight. Flying is such a crapshoot these days. We won't fly unless we're going completely cross country. Thankfully,  we have the time to drive almost anywhere,  and we'll be driving down to Florida next week to catch the Freedom and Spirit. Fingers crossed that your flight goes as planned. 😎

• Like 9

I’m so excited for another one if your reviews! I don’t blame you about stressing over the flights. My sister and her family were due to fly home from the Cayman Islands and got stuck in Dallas. They slapped them with a 4 hour layover right before boarding. I’m guessing an issue with the plane, but who knows? But they got into O’hare in the wee hours of the morning Christmas Eve, no luggage in sight. So diving may be the safest bet for you and your luggage… it’s such a hard call! 

• Like 1

Looking forward to your review!  Good luck with your flight.  I was up all night Saturday watching to see if our 10 a.m. flight from Fort Lauderdale to JFK would be cancelled Sunday a.m.  Nope. Said "On Time."  Got to airport, sat waiting for boarding and they cancelled the flight 30 minutes before we were to board!  So annoying.  Luckily called Jetblue from the airport and were able to catch a flight scheduled to leave at 12:30, which got delayed to 1:30 - but at least we got home.  And this morning:  

'Unacceptable': DOT to probe Southwest Airlines cancellations

The Transportation Department said it would examine the carrier's cancelled and delayed flights in recent days to determine if they were in the airline's control.60% of Tuesday's flights canceled

• Like 1

for what it’s worth…. The checked bag thing is another concern. Once I check that bag at around 4-4:30 at DAL, I’m completely at the mercy of that flight going off. As of now, 7:25am CST, my flight is still scheduled to go at 6:30pm CST. The flight after mine to MCO has been canceled, but the two before mine are still a go. Looking at hotels in Pensacola if I drive, but I’m kinda of frozen in the decision making process…. May give it another hour or two and see if any clarity develops

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

6C333C8C-CC8F-4A82-9698-2720AA9DD639.thumb.png.ed7b05f381dceb1e5fbdcc03ff0cffef.png

the two DAL-MCO before mine just got delayed around two hours each in the last half hour. Mine still shows on time. Looking more and more like it’s time to put some air in the tires and roll east….

We would be hopping in the car and heading out. That way you and your luggage are sure to make the cruise. Safe travels! 😎

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

Sorry to be a drag out of the gates with all this travel chaos! Thanks to all of y’all for following and I promise, we’ll get the fun rolling soon! #Heresto2023

It's all part of the adventure. We're all pulling for you! 😎

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

B10EDE50-F846-4627-BD37-036A3A995325.thumb.png.12cd0db193a272bfa4b4ff2528b06a37.png

When I changed to a non stop flight tonight instead of a tight plane change connection in MSY on Wednesday (oh such innocent naive times!) i had to add this bridge night on priceline. Since i'd be getting in so late i kept it cheap and simple, which is good, cause it looks like I'm eating it now. 

• Like 1

Fingers crossed that your transportation woes are settled.  Flying has become a nightmare, with so much uncertainty and cancellations. (We fly cross-country from Washington, DC to LAX next week...I'm already dreading the process!)

Looking so forward to your live review! I always enjoy your humor and outlook.

• Thanks 1

B5A34291-776C-45D9-8245-351705E8CE06.thumb.png.824631ba20104e885c4c27fbb6a2c00d.png

looking around a 7pm ETA not counting stops. I’ve stayed at this Fairfield as a midway point on this drive many times, it’s a good area and sets up tomorrow nicely. Now let’s find some breakfast and blow this joint. 

• Like 8

Aloha.  Looking forward to your safe enjoyable vacay. We did a looong cruise around South America Antarctica and the Falklands a few years ago. We we’re leaving from New York versus Honolulu that time. Anyway, crazy weather delays and canceled and delayed flights caused it to take 42 hours to get to Rio.  Luckily our luggage made it. Needless to say driving was not an option! Have agreat time and take food pictures lol.

• Like 1