Cancelled Flights

sunshine4me2

16 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Sure, that's 2 days worth of driving ... Are you nearby, available and offering to give them a ride 😉 see post #5  -  "Given our ages, 73 & 77, 1200 miles to Port,  and car rentals one way, nonexistent, driving almost not an option.  I even checked flights from Indy to MCO, and that was not promising either."

DOT said they will hold the airline accountable for the meltdown.  SouthWest CEO said to keep all receipts for ...  Only planning to staff and fly about 1/3 of their scheduled flights this week, at best.

Sorry didn’t see their ages nor their reluctance to drive

we live in michigan and Florida is driveable to us

33 minutes ago, purpleally said:

didn’t see their ages nor their reluctance to drive

we live in michigan and Florida is driveable to us

NP, if only they can find flights out of Detroit instead Midway (used by SWA) - perhaps they found someone on their Roll Call to rideshare together - 600 miles of daily driving is a lot to cover even with GPS navigation, easily with 2 drivers taking turn behind the wheels & resting, planning fuel & rest room stops ahead, etc. 

OP hasn't updated, perhaps they are currently in transit and/or on standby for 2 open & available seats on SWA and/or other flights.  Tens of thousands SWA fliers all scrambling to reach their destinations and come home with all those cancelled flights for the past week, not easy ... virtually all holiday flights are at high load factors or fully sold out.  I asked my nephew to use his Sabre access to lookup hidden cities pair via Toronto & Montreal to see if they can be routed with 2 connections and it's "no can't do."  Maybe, Greyhound and/or Amtrak to their rescue instead.  Let's hope they are going to make their cruise.  

26 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Looks like their flight is delayed till 12:00, but not canceled as of yet. Prayers for OP departure 🙏🏻

Checking here constantly Flightradar24 for their flight with fingers crossed. 

And at the same time this is sooooooo why you book your flight for the previous day of departure (or even earlier) like the op did! It doesnt matter even if their flight would end up being 12 hours late (or even 18). Just as long as it leaves… Had they originally decided to fly the day in…even a couple of hours delay could be a huge problem. 

and 🙌🙌🙌 op’s aircraft is just about to take off at Denver airport to MDW from where the aircraft will continue to Orlando - it is late, yes, but flying 👏👏

29CB4D08-296E-482D-A64F-F647A883017F.jpeg 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

NP, if only they can find flights out of Detroit instead Midway (used by SWA) - perhaps they found someone on their Roll Call to rideshare together - 600 miles of daily driving is a lot to cover even with GPS navigation, easily with 2 drivers taking turn behind the wheels & resting, planning fuel & rest room stops ahead, etc. 

OP hasn't updated, perhaps they are currently in transit and/or on standby for 2 open & available seats on SWA and/or other flights.  Tens of thousands SWA fliers all scrambling to reach their destinations and come home with all those cancelled flights for the past week, not easy ... virtually all holiday flights are at high load factors or fully sold out.  I asked my nephew to use his Sabre access to lookup hidden cities pair via Toronto & Montreal to see if they can be routed with 2 connections and it's "no can't do."  Maybe, Greyhound and/or Amtrak to their rescue instead.  Let's hope they are going to make their cruise.  

crazy thing is that Amtrak is completely sold out. I checked yesterday hoping to offer that advice to the OP.   Not only from Chicago, but from all locations within a reasonable drive from Chicago.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

crazy thing is that Amtrak is completely sold out. I checked yesterday hoping to offer that advice to the OP.   Not only from Chicago, but from all locations within a reasonable drive from Chicago.

That makes sense.  It's the same train running from Chicago to FL regardless of where you board and this time of year, people likely aren't using it for shorter trips.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

No, not possible now but my posting about driving to Florida was a couple of days ago and before I saw why they could not drive. I sure hope they made their flight/cruise

3 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

We are rooting for you.  Please let us know what happens.🚐✈️

Here’s the 11:00 am cst update from MDW.

Flight enroute from DEN.  ETA 11:30.  Our flight departure is 12:15,  eta MCO 3:45.  
Won’t be doing the “happy dance” till we land!

Thanks for all your suggestions and kind words.

We r looking forward to our Prima NYE experience!

• Like 24

11 minutes ago, sunshine4me2 said:

Flight enroute from DEN.  ETA 11:30.  Our flight departure is 12:15,  eta MCO 3:45.  

That is terrific news.

We are on 12/30 Prima. 

we were supposed to fly Sea-Mco Wednesday afternoon. Got notice 10pm Tuesday flight was canceled. Called and found out they don’t have enough pilots…. 

so I say let’s find an alternative flight somewhere close. After searching and searching we found 9 seats Sea-Chs. 8am next day. 

so an overnight drive to airport and being up 36 hours Straight we made it to Charleston. Visiting Fort Sumter before driving to Port Canaveral. 

When airlines give you lemons. 

bonus taking kids to see Buc-ees for the first time!

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, UWCorry said:

We are on 12/30 Prima. 

we were supposed to fly Sea-Mco Wednesday afternoon. Got notice 10pm Tuesday flight was canceled. Called and found out they don’t have enough pilots…. 

so I say let’s find an alternative flight somewhere close. After searching and searching we found 9 seats Sea-Chs. 8am next day. 

so an overnight drive to airport and being up 36 hours Straight we made it to Charleston. Visiting Fort Sumter before driving to Port Canaveral. 

When airlines give you lemons. 

bonus taking kids to see Buc-ees for the first time!

Wow... but you made it.  Have a great trip!

• Thanks 1

OP's SWA 1341 landed about 7 minutes, MDW-MCO taxiing to the gate, should be wheels locked at the jetbridge in about 2 or 3 minutes according to tracking data.  

Gosh, whew 😇 - and if they didn't have to gate checked their carry-on bags, can now relax with relief.  Prima cruise ahead.  Bon Voyage !! 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, sunshine4me2 said:

Sending good vibes--PLEASE keep us updated on how things go!

Our son is set to fly to PHX via SWA early tomorrow for the Fiesta bowl to watch his alma mater (TCU) play. That flight has gone the last 3 days so--fingers crossed!

We fly 1/7.

My United flight attendant friend believes all will smooth over by then--remember, always pay attention to flight attendants. If they are calm, all is well!

5 hours ago, sunshine4me2 said:

6 pm update from Orlando Hotel!  Finally made it!  All is good, see u all on the Prima, Happy New Year!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, sunshine4me2 said:

6 pm update from Orlando Hotel!  Finally made it!  All is good, see u all on the Prima, Happy New Year!

This is the best news!  So happy you made it.  I feel so sad for all who have been similarly impacted, many not making their cruise or other plans.  Such a disappointment.  Now relax in your hotel after the drama of the past several hours and have a wonderful cruise and a healthy, happy and prosperous 2023.  Thank you for coming back to let us know how it all worked out for you.

53 minutes ago, sunshine4me2 said:

OMG so so happy for you guys! I was stressed reading about your journey!

Happy you are settled at hotel!

Go have a drink or three!

3 hours ago, sunshine4me2 said:

Have a great cruise.

Restaurant reservations will be in Syd Normans Deck 7 mid ship and entertainment booking in the theater box office Deck 6 forward. 

Agree to try and do the Food Hall Deck 8 aft for lunch. Get a table or counter that is not at a food truck.

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Get away with what?

There was an earlier discussion about whether Southwest would be able to claim their operational problems were caused by weather.  I said I didn't think the DOT would let them get away with that this time (airlines aren't responsible for hotel or meals if  a flight cancellation is caused by a weather delay.)    On the day of the storm, they can claim weather caused the cancellations but once all the other airlines calmed down, Southwest continued to fail, and on the days after the storm I don't think the DOT will let them get away with not compensating passengers due to the delays being "weather related."  I think the DOT will make them reimburse passengers at least for food and lodging (they've told people to save receipts and that "reasonable expenses" will be compensated). I have no idea if this includes cruises, but its particularly unfortunate if like the OP people actually had insurance but because this was a company failure the OP was told her insurance wouldn't cover the cruise.  Thankfully it looks like she's made it, but this is still a mess.

Edited by kitkat343