Blu on the Edge

PMT51

We are doing Aqua Class for the first time on the Edge in Feb 2023.

DH has been reading in another forum that people are finding Blu to be disappointing.

What has been your recent exxperience at Blu on the Edge?

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, PMT51 said:

DH has been reading in another forum that people are finding Blu to be disappointing.

I can offer you feedback based purely upon the aggregate of responses I've read on the Celebrity forum from this site.

Caveat: I have my first cruise on Celebrity next month followed by another in August. I have been keen to gather observations from this and other sources.

Observations:

I notice that a fair number of those in low level suites, especially the "Sky Suite" variety (which by all appearances seem to simply be a Celebrity euphemism for a slightly bigger standard room in order to charge for the perception of some higher privilege), expect the "Retreat" experience to work like they are in "Rockefeller" class. Never will happen on a generalist cruise line. The staff just aren't prepared the same as on private cruises with very limited pax counts.

Quite a few of the passengers in the low(er) level rooms have a lot to gripe about, Luminae included, but they rave about Blu. Don't kill the messenger. You can read it in the posts yourself.

Blu looks to have a "healthier" bent on offering. I.e., granolas, yogurts for breakfast. A few leaner/healthier/low carb options for dinner. Looks alright.

Then, I have also read others in the Aqua cabins themselves have gripes about Blu, and wish they had Luminae, or they pull from MDR options. One thing I have read a few times is the wait for a table in Blu and the hurried staff.

Again, don't karate chop the messenger, I'm trying to effectively gauge what I'm walking into myself.

For those in standard rooms, I read that they sometimes dream of dining in Blu, once they've experienced it.

For those in higher level suites,  which include unlimited/anywhere dining, a number of them like Blu, but since dining at any location is included, they seem to gripe less.*

*Even so, there are a few seemingly professional gripers who expect Rockefeller level service on this generalist cruise line. Never going to get that kind of consistency because service staff have atrocious pax counts to manage combined with constant pax turnover week after week after mind numbing week.

I'm just nice to those who serve. They're near my food and personal items, and they probably have a lot on their own minds being so far from their own families. Plus, we're all in this together. Be nice.

Give me a bourbon, a sunset, sheets on the bed, a sandwich, and I'm good. 😎

Just observations.

Peace.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

We have done the majority of our Celebrity cruises in Aqua class, therefore in Blu.  We like the smaller dining room, feel the service is a little better and more personal and we like the menu.  But food is very subjective what I like the next person may hate.

We cruised on another line a few years ago and pre cruise read all about the amazing, wonderful, best ever on a ship food.  We boarded expecting to be blown away, we were very disappointed.  
We’re we disappointed because we had set our expectations so high or was the food not any better than other lines we have sailed, I’m not sure.  But I am sure that had we gone with no big expectations we probably would have enjoyed the cruise more. 

• Like 1

It's in unusual location on the E-Class just in front of the Eden entrance where it has a semi-wall so you can watch folks walk by and they can see you if you if they look in

Usually the service is elevated and the best part about it is you can order items off the Blu menu and the MDR menu.  Whatever you would rank the MDR on a scale of 1-10, Blu will only be a point or two higher

image.png.b71b95306cdefda305144daeafb03b08.png

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

2 hours ago, PMT51 said:

I was on Edge in Oct/Nov and while I did not eat there, I met several folks traveling in Aqua and they said they were really enjoying the menu and would do it again

we  are  usual AQ class  travelers on X 

We were in BLU for our first EDGE cruise..early on..It still had an open curtain to the hallway. 

we did not enjoy BLU on EDGE.. There was NO VIEW,  had poor acoustics , and very slow kitchen service.. BUT the menu, .food quality  and dining rm services were excellent,  and  of course, very  good breakfasts.  We did not find the IV cabin to be  a problem and enjoyed using the thermal siites...included in AQ class ( would not pay extra)

on a later EDGE cruise, we switched to a Sunset Veranda..larger cabin  huge true outdoor aft  balc and the 4 mdr plan which we truly enjoyed! it worked so well for us and was a nice change ...

recently on BEYOND..we had a suite and were assigned to Luminae which we thought was not so great..The menu was generally  not to.our liking, soggy shrimp and the  bread  was doled out and limited..We went to BLU one night and it was AMAZiNG!..Due to redesign it had great  views.  We loved the  usual  pre meal spreads,  bread baskets on the  table and fresh firm shrimp. top service, menu and food ..no noise issues.

so for our next cruise on ASCENT, we will be back in  AQ Class...and BLU

overall I think OP will enjoy BLU. for the menu and service and smaller dining rm experience..Hopefully the kitchen is now up to speed!

4 minutes ago, southerngirlllikestotrave said:

We have done Edge twice. The first time we had Blu, but felt closed in with no windows. The location is very strange to me.

View was  of window washers or other equip and life boats,( so curtains were kept closed)  Not so on BEYOND.  The outdoor area was counted for seating allocation.....Has anyone ever sat out there for a meal?

We have only sail once on the Edge. We enjoyed our sky suite mid ship. What I didnt like about Luminae was the limited choices of food. Talking to friends that just got back from a TA in Aqua on the Edge. It was not the food, it was the lack of a nice view. On the S and M class ships you have very nice view out the windows. Anyone have a photo of what you see out the windows. What I heard was life boat and railings.

2 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

We have only sail once on the Edge. We enjoyed our sky suite mid ship. What I didnt like about Luminae was the limited choices of food. Talking to friends that just got back from a TA in Aqua on the Edge. It was not the food, it was the lack of a nice view. On the S and M class ships you have very nice view out the windows. Anyone have a photo of what you see out the windows. What I heard was life boat and railings.

I will search..it was in  my EDGE  AQ Review with pics on cc  several yrs ago..but may also be on a disc or another computer file..retrieval is always the issue..

Trust me it was at best a peekaboo view ..and they kept the curtains closed almost all the time. Blu itsrlf is bright and light with sparkly decor...you can always step outside for a photo..

Edited by hcat

We were on the Edge this summer in Aqua  class and just recently on the Apex in Aqua class.  We loved the smaller dining venue but were not always happy with the dinner offerings.  Ask for the other restaurant menus and you will be able to select from the other main dining restaurant options.  The service in Blu was excellent.