Southampton Hotel Precruise

Shipswap

We are sailing with Celebrity in May out of Southampton. We are researching pre cruise  hotels nearby.

Does Celebrity have a dedicated dock? What nearby hotels would be recommended? Any insights are most welcome.

Thank you everyone!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shipswap said:

We are sailing with Celebrity in May out of Southampton. We are researching pre cruise  hotels nearby.

Does Celebrity have a dedicated dock? What nearby hotels would be recommended? Any insights are most welcome.

Thank you everyone!

Best Hotel being close (adjacent) to port is Southampton Harbour.  However if seeking something a little bit special, away from the port then consider Lime Wood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shipswap said:

Thank you everyone!

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Southampton from Oct 17-20, 2022. We walked out of the hotel with our luggage, turned right, and then continued walking to the terminal a few yards away. It was just that easy. I'm sorry I can't say relative distance, other than it was close, very very close. A man came out of the terminal baggage area, nearest the hotel, and relieved us of our luggage, so we didn't even have to lug it all the way along to the main entrance. Best and most efficient embarkation we have ever had.

The hotel is clean and modern looking. One minor thing that happened was that there was a long line when we departed, so I dropped the key cards on the front desk and we left. The person who checked us in said we could do that. Well, I got a charge on my credit card that shouldn't have been there, but I didn't discover it until we were enroute on Silhouette and the hotel's solve was to call them. It wasn't worth the $22 to try to figure it out. We paid for two breakfasts, and I'm pretty sure they thought we ate breakfast on the third day so they charged us for it. Their in-and-out control of the restaurant is not very good. No matter. I would stay there again. It was nice and convenient.

• Like 3

Celebrity normally berth at City Cruise Terminal (Port Royal - Southampton Harbour Hotel is closer to Ocean Terminal)

Holiday Inn (not the H.I Expresses, which are on the city boundary) is right by the port gate (Gate 8), rooms at the rear overlook the berth, from rooms at the front you can watch your ship steaming up Southampton Water to the berth*

Leonardo Royal, quirky boutiques Pig-in-the-Wall (built into the city wall) & Ennio's, modernist Moxy, and Premier Inn West Quay are all just a short walk from City Cruise Terminal. (Premier Inn is Britain's biggest & best budget chain, the city's other two Premier Inns are not as convenient as Premier Inn West Quay.)

They're also all convenient for the West Quay shopping & leisure centres, the city's main shopping street (called Above-Bar), the waterfront and the few historic buildings & sights of "old town" - heavily blitzed in WW2 so old buildings sit cheek by jowl with post-war.

But any hotel on the thumbnail map at the bottom of this link is no more than a £10 taxi ride from any cruise terminal https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

Quality & facilities of those hotels are broadly in line with their prices - there are none in the city centre that I would warn you against.

JB 🙂

*Assuming you are up and awake at about 4am 🤭

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, clojacks said:

Does anyone have any experience at the Premier Inn Southampton City Center WestQuay?

It’s very popular with cruisers due to its location close to the terminals.

Premier Inn is a budget chain with hotels across Great Britain. They are basic but clean and consistent. Don’t expect any perks or frills, and you’ll always pay extra for breakfast. 

• 1 month later...

Hello to all, particularly those familiar with cruising from Southampton

DH and I will be staying at the Premiere Inn West Quay prior to a British Isles cruise on the Regal Princess... is it feasible to walk the the pier on embarkation day with 1 rolling suitcase each? Are there sidewalks? 

I know that taxi's are available and reasonably priced, , but sometimes it's faster to walk if the distance isn't great 

1 hour ago, Samkitty1 said:

Hello to all, particularly those familiar with cruising from Southampton

DH and I will be staying at the Premiere Inn West Quay prior to a British Isles cruise on the Regal Princess... is it feasible to walk the the pier on embarkation day with 1 rolling suitcase each? Are there sidewalks? 

I know that taxi's are available and reasonably priced, , but sometimes it's faster to walk if the distance isn't great 

It’s under a 20 minute walk along a very busy main road with heavy/noisy traffic and a taxi taxes about 5/7 minutes.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Samkitty1 said:

Thanks... do you know if the road has sidewalks?

Outside the dock wall yes, but narrow and a main road has to be crossed. Inside not all the way to cruise terminal, with heavy truck and car traffic to deal with. Take a taxi… It’s not a pleasant walk.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive

Which terminal depends on your sailing date 

Regal Princess departures are split between Ocean Cruise Terminal (berth 46 on the list) and Mayflower Cruise Terminal (berth 106). One sailing is out of  Q.E. 11 Cruise Terminal (berth 38/9)

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Ocean Terminal is a simple level 15-minute walk, some of it along the waterfront and all of it on sidewalks. A couple of road crossings with pedestrian crossing lights. Most folk would choose to walk except in inclement weather.

Mayflower Terminal is further, about 25 minutes. Again level ground, again all on sidewalks, again pedestrian lights to cross major roads. But much of it is in the docks, perfectly safe on sidewalks but not an attractive walk - you might prefer to take a short taxi hop.

QE 11 Terminal is a 30 minute walk from P 1 West Quay, deep in the old docks, waaay beyond Ocean Terminal. Level ground, but for much of the route in the docks the "sidewalk" is merely a yellow line differentiating it from the busy docks road. Be safe & comfortable - a taxi will cost less than £10.  

See the layout on the little map at this bottom of the page at

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

We will be sailing on the NCL Prima this summer. I think the ship departs from the Horizon Cruise Terminal. Can anyone confirm? What hotel would be closest to this cruise terminal? Holiday Inn? Leonardo Royal Hotel Southampton Grand Harbour? 

What is the best way to get to the cruise terminal from the hotel?

1 minute ago, Ladybug18 said:

We will be sailing on the NCL Prima this summer. I think the ship departs from the Horizon Cruise Terminal. Can anyone confirm?

The cruise ship schedule is linked in the post immediately above yours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Outside the dock wall yes, but narrow and a main road has to be crossed. Inside not all the way to cruise terminal, with heavy truck and car traffic to deal with. Take a taxi… It’s not a pleasant walk.

Then a taxi it is!   thank you

13 hours ago, Ladybug18 said:

We will be sailing on the NCL Prima this summer. I think the ship departs from the Horizon Cruise Terminal. Can anyone confirm? What hotel would be closest to this cruise terminal? Holiday Inn? Leonardo Royal Hotel Southampton Grand Harbour? 

Southampton Harbour is the best of one’s suggestions.  Take a taxi to terminal.

14 hours ago, Ladybug18 said:

Check out the precis of Southampton city hotels and the map showing them plus cruise berths etc which I linked immediately above your post. pThe Ibis, Ibis Budget and Novotel (1,2 & 3 on the map) are closest to Horizon Cruise Terminal & coach station and directly opposite the train station.  But the clutch of 7 or 8 hotels including Holiday Inn (Herbert Walker Avenue), Leonardo Royal and Premier Inn West Quay are more convenient to shops, pubs, restaurants, and old-town sights. They are walkable to Horizon Terminal via Dock Gate 8 (by the Holiday Inn) which is open when a cruise ship is at City Cruise Terminal - check the cruise schedule which I linked. 

Whilst the Southampton Harbour Hotel (number 9 on the map) is the best hotel in the city & the only city centre 5-star, it's also the most expensive by a long chalk and inconveniently-located.

Other than Ennio's and Pig in the Wall which are quirky boutiques, the hotels are modern, perhaps a little bland but very acceptable. There are none that I'd caution against except the Mercure Dolphin which is currently contracted by the Government and not available.

No city centre hotel is more than a £10 taxi ride from any cruise terminal

JB 🙂 

17 hours ago, Ladybug18 said:

As an aside…. We have given up on Southampton Hotels as they no longer give a genteel relaxed stay, having migrated to Lime Wood Hotel for our two night pre-cruise stays.  So, if you’re wanting something different, like a semi-remote country house boutique hotel, then consider LW.  It will not disappoint.  Their afternoon tea is a must after check in.

Web

https://www.limewoodhotel.co.uk

E-Brochure

https://www.limewoodhotel.co.uk/ebrochure

Edited by PORT ROYAL
E-brochure

@John Bull thank you so much! You are always so helpful. We are really leaning towards the Premier Inn West Quay as it is a close to the bus terminal (we will be taking the national express bus from Heathrow) and it’s close to shopping and restaurants. How are the Premier Inns? We have never stayed at one. They have a breakfast add on which is nice so we don’t have to leave the hotel to look for breakfast. How far of a walk would Dock Gate 8 be at the Horizon Cruise Terminal be from the Premier Inn West Quay? Can we prebook a taxi to the Horizon Cruise Terminal? 

1 hour ago, Ladybug18 said:

How are the Premier Inns? We have never stayed at one.

Premier Inn is the biggest budget hotel chain in the UK.

As a budget brand, you get no fripperies such as room service, safes, porters etc. What you will get is a clean functional room with a double bed, sofa, desk, flat screen tv, and a kettle with tea and coffee making facilities.  

There is an onsite restaurant that serves breakfast and dinner, with a bar open in the evening.

We use them all the time - never been disappointed. 

1 hour ago, Ladybug18 said:

Can we prebook a taxi to the Horizon Cruise Terminal? 

There is a taxi phone near the elevator at Premier Inn West Quay.  After I had checked in, I pre booked at taxi for the next day as embarkment and disembarkment days are very busy for taxis

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Premier Inn is the biggest budget hotel chain in the UK.

As a budget brand, you get no fripperies such as room service, safes, porters etc. What you will get is a clean functional room with a double bed, sofa, desk, flat screen tv, and a kettle with tea and coffee making facilities.  

There is an onsite restaurant that serves breakfast and dinner, with a bar open in the evening.

We use them all the time - never been disappointed. 

Thank you so much. I think we will go with the Premier Inn as it seems to fit our needs.

14 minutes ago, phabric said:

There is a taxi phone near the elevator at Premier Inn West Quay.  After I had checked in, I pre booked at taxi for the next day as embarkment and disembarkment days are very busy for taxis

Fantastic! Thank you.

What is a good time to book the Taxi for pick-up at the Premier Inn West Quay? Our ship departs at 5PM and I believe all aboard is 3PM.

How does it work with payment? Do the Taxi's take credit cards in the car and do we tip and if so how much? We have never been to the UK so looking for some tips.