"Sports shoes are not allowed." Please share your observations.

Taters

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

They are called ADC tours. Another D@@@ Church.  I go because I like to look at gold and that is where all of the gold is!

In Italy they are also where a lot of the art is (still) located. I like seeing it in the location where it was originally intended to be viewed -- sometimes it makes a lot more sense in context than in a museum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

In Italy they are also where a lot of the art is (still) located. I like seeing it in the location where it was originally intended to be viewed -- sometimes it makes a lot more sense in context than in a museum.

Yes, I was being a bit flip but churches house some of the best art worldwide.  The fold in the Spanish churches is pretty incredible though as it was the bounty brought from the Incan empire , the silver from the Aztec empire. 

12 hours ago, Mike07 said:

My guess is that if you wear conservative, all black tennis shoes, you'll be okay. Local Archdiocese rules (in my city in America) require black shoes for mass (to clarify for the priest and deacon celebrating mass). I have not read the actual rule, but I've seen everything from formal to all black tennis shoes. With vestments and all, kind of hard to see anyways. Laypeople don't have restrictions on shoes.

That being said, credit to OP for actually reading the rules of the excursion rather than showing up and getting bent for making assumptions.

Thanks very much for your input.  I appreciate it. 

I have a pair of black suede Pumas that I often wear to work.  They are definitely sport shoes, but don't really look the part.  None of my tennis shoes are white, and they are all made of suede.  Maybe the black ones will be a good fit for this excursion.

For those who think I am being disrespectful of local customs - I am not.  Here in Alaska it is considered rude to wear your shoes into someone's home, so I am well accustomed of what to do and what not to do when it comes to entering different dwellings, and always try to make myself aware of local customs when traveling abroad.

Since there have been so many snarky comments regarding my question, I will explain my situation...  I had a sudden, total hearing loss in 2012, leaving me completely deaf.  It was like a light switch.  Boom.  Deaf.  In an instant my life changed.  I'd had no prior history of any hearing loss.  So somewhere in that moment there was trauma to my inner ears, which is where equilibrium is managed by the brain.  I've lost that.  I have terrible balance.  I am in a constant state of dizziness and I need good traction.  Shoes without good soles are almost impossible for me to walk in, especially where there might be cobblestones or uneven surfaces.  I intend to comply with the rules of the tour, but when they say no sport shoes, I envision dressy shoes without any traction.  I don't wear those kinds of shoes.  I don't own those kinds of shoes.  It's dangerous for me.  So again, I would love to hear from someone who has been on a HAL tour that had this type of disclaimer and learn about your experience.  I will not book this until I am sure that I can attend and participate.

Thank you for your time, everyone!

Edited by Taters

14 minutes ago, Taters said:

Thanks very much for your input.  I appreciate it. 

I have a pair of black suede Pumas that I often wear to work.  They are definitely sport shoes, but don't really look the part.  None of my tennis shoes are white, and they are all made of suede.  Maybe the black ones will be a good fit for this excursion.

For those who think I am being disrespectful of local customs - I am not.  Here in Alaska it is considered rude to wear your shoes into someone's home, so I am well accustomed of what to do and what not to do when it comes to entering different dwellings, and always try to make myself aware of local customs when traveling abroad.

Since there have been so many snarky comments regarding my question, I will explain my situation...  I had a sudden, total hearing loss in 2012, leaving me completely deaf.  It was like a light switch.  Boom.  Deaf.  In an instant my life changed.  I'd had no prior history of any hearing loss.  So somewhere in that moment there was trauma to my inner ears, which is where equilibrium is managed by the brain.  I've lost that.  I have terrible balance.  I am in a constant state of dizziness and I need good traction.  Shoes without good soles are almost impossible for me to walk in, especially where there might be cobblestones or uneven surfaces.  I intend to comply with the rules of the tour, but when they say no sport shoes, I envision dressy shoes without any traction.  I don't wear those kinds of shoes.  I don't own those kinds of shoes.  It's dangerous for me.  So again, I would love to hear from someone who has been on a HAL tour that had this type of disclaimer and learn about your experience.  I will not book this until I am sure that I can attend and participate.

Thank you for your time, everyone!

Wow, that's a scary change in your life. I can see why sturdy shoes are important for you. We've been taking guesses at the meaning of "sports shoes," but it's hard to know what that means in another country. Since the stops are named in the description, have you tried looking for websites for these places to see where the issue is? Most places that attract tourists offer their websites in multiple languages. or Google will translate for you. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Wow, that's a scary change in your life. I can see why sturdy shoes are important for you. We've been taking guesses at the meaning of "sports shoes," but it's hard to know what that means in another country. Since the stops are named in the description, have you tried looking for websites for these places to see where the issue is? Most places that attract tourists offer their websites in multiple languages. or Google will translate for you. 

Yes, I have looked into the different places we'll be visiting and so far I haven't been able to find any reference to proper footwear.  I will continue to look periodically.  I appreciate your constructive input.😊

1 minute ago, Taters said:

Yes, I have looked into the different places we'll be visiting and so far I haven't been able to find any reference to proper footwear.  I will continue to look periodically.  I appreciate your constructive input.😊

If their websites don't say anything about footwear, it could be an error in the description HAL uses. They may add the disclaimer from one tour to other tours. Another way to search is to try to find the vendor. Google the exact name of the tour. You might find the tour company that way and be able to ask them about footwear. 

• Like 2

If HAL shorex can’t provide the information, maybe you can try the South America Board. Someone may know there.

Is this the cathedral?   https://www.facebook.com/people/Parroquia-Matriz-Catedral-Del-Callao/100076896388000/

And PS- I would be asking exactly the same question as you are, likewise so I know I’m dressed as requested. I don’t consider regular “sneakers” ( fabric uppers closed by shoe laces) to be sports shoes: my mountain bike shoes and my running shoes, yes. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 11:01 AM, Taters said:

I would really like to book a certain HAL shore excursion in Callao (Lima), Peru, that goes to a cathedral, a monastery, and an historic home. This is the disclaimer:

"Photography is not allowed in the cathedral or at the convent. Modest attire is required for visiting churches or cathedrals; knees, shoulders and midriffs must be covered; shorts and capri-length pants are not allowed. Sports shoes are not allowed."

I can understand the modest attire requirement, but not the shoes.  I prefer to wear tennis shoes when on excursions as it gives me the best traction.  Has anyone been turned away from a HAL excursion for not adhering to this requirement?

TIA for the feedback.

I was on the "Best of Lima" excursion on December 1 and it had the same disclaimer.  Most people on the tour and in the cathedral on other tours wore some form of sports shoes.  I didn't notice anyone being turned away.  My husband only wears runners/walking shoes for health/safety reasons and was willing to wait outside if it was a problem.  It was not a problem. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gottacruisetoo said:

I was on the "Best of Lima" excursion on December 1 and it had the same disclaimer.  Most people on the tour and in the cathedral on other tours wore some form of sports shoes.  I didn't notice anyone being turned away.  My husband only wears runners/walking shoes for health/safety reasons and was willing to wait outside if it was a problem.  It was not a problem. 

Thank you so much for this feedback!  I truly appreciate it. 🙂

• Like 1