How do you order at a prepaid specialty restaurant?

funntheson

56 minutes ago, funntheson said:

I have been on a few cruises, but have yet to partake in a specialty restaurant onboard. That is going to change this year! Does each person order one item from each section of the menu, much like the main dining room?

Each person can order independently.  The selection varies by the specific specialty restaurant.  Did you have one in mind?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, funntheson said:

We have reservations at Tamarind, Canaletto and Pinnacle Grill.

Each person will order their own items.  One tip for ordering at the Pinnacle Grill: I almost always order the 15 ounce ribeye  plus the lobster supplement which I give to my wife plus part of my steak.  She also orders her own entre.

• Like 1

In Canaletto you can order family style which, instead of each person having an entree on their plate, everyone selects items to share and they are brought out on serving dishes to partake in. They now also instituted upcharges for ordering more than 1 entree, side or appetizers so ask about additional charges before ordering.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeD4134 said:

In the Main Dining Room, you may order as much food as you want.  7 appetizers, 5 entrees, 6 desserts whatever you want.

Is that true still within the past month? 🤔 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Good to know. I wonder if still true on Pinnacle Class since the MDR seems overworked and chaotic at times. 

I will find out soon - boarding the Rotterdam Jan 14 for 42 days😁

• Like 2

21 hours ago, funntheson said:

We have reservations at Tamarind, Canaletto and Pinnacle Grill.

Haven't eaten in the Tamarind for dinner yet. Short ribs with gnocchi is a favorite at Canaletto and I'm going to try their lamb this cruise (two reservations there this leg of cruise). Was disappointed with the ribeye at Pinnacle; would stick with lamb there, or crab legs if you eat seafood. 

You have been answered about ordering... 

• Like 1

We are sailing on the Koningsdam embarking January 7th for 24 nights. We have three  free Specialty Restaurants and free Gratuities as part of out Package. What does the average person do in this type of situation? 

4 minutes ago, Bick53 said:

We are sailing on the Koningsdam embarking January 7th for 24 nights. We have three  free Specialty Restaurants and free Gratuities as part of out Package. What does the average person do in this type of situation? 

In our case, we space out the freebies.  However, we REALLY like the Tamarind and Nami, so we'd typically book additional times in those two restaurants.

1 hour ago, Bick53 said:

Check if you have restrictions on which  restaurants you can choose from (usually 1 of each with no repeating which is fine to try all three). We space them out on sea days and book them prior to boarding before our day/time is full. (Yes sea days will have some dressy nights in MDR but we haven't found their menu what it used to be so alternate dining is just as well). Some say ship auto assigns nights and times but we've always are able to book our own times to make sure we don't get stuck with odd hours (during shows, events, too early or too late, etc). 

Yes, you can/should pre reserve your 3 HIA dinners and I also strongly recommend that you reserve Rudi's Sel de Mer (extra fee) before the cruise as well, if you are interested.  It was sold out on my last cruise after I had to cancel my pre booked time.  I've read that other ships are filling bookings early also.  Have fun!

~Nancy

13 hours ago, REOVA said:

Check if you have restrictions on which  restaurants you can choose from (usually 1 of each with no repeating which is fine to try all three). We space them out on sea days and book them prior to boarding before our day/time is full. (Yes sea days will have some dressy nights in MDR but we haven't found their menu what it used to be so alternate dining is just as well). Some say ship auto assigns nights and times but we've always are able to book our own times to make sure we don't get stuck with odd hours (during shows, events, too early or too late, etc). 

Thanks - we have pre-booked the 3 restaurants that are included with our package. Are additional gratuities required or added above our pre-paid ones?

11 hours ago, oakridger said:

Yes, you can/should pre reserve your 3 HIA dinners and I also strongly recommend that you reserve Rudi's Sel de Mer (extra fee) before the cruise as well, if you are interested.  It was sold out on my last cruise after I had to cancel my pre booked time.  I've read that other ships are filling bookings early also.  Have fun!

~Nancy

Thanks - we have pre-booked the 3 restaurants that are included with our package. Are additional gratuities required or added above our pre-paid ones?

12 minutes ago, Bick53 said:

You can leave a gratuity if you wish, but one is NOT required. The purchase price includes an 18% gratuity, even if the dinner is included with your fare.

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Unlimited apps, 1 entree. They'll let you rack desserts if you want to.  Additional entree is another $10.  

Pinnacle Grill charges for more than 1 appetizer as of November (at least on RDam), unless you want 2 apps and skip entree which DW has done. 

28 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Pinnacle Grill charges for more than 1 appetizer as of November (at least on RDam), unless you want 2 apps and skip entree which DW has done. 

Don't think I could spend $40-50 for dinner just to get two apps.