Scooter usage on board

Unfortunately, this post has gone off the rails.

My experience is that the vast majority of people are very considerate. Last February I broke both ankles in a fall shortly after arriving in Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise on the Odyssey. You can't imagine the heartache or seeing your ship in the port as the plane is taking off returning you home two days later with both legs in splints. Fast forward about 100 days and I returned to Florida for a cruise on the Symphony with my granddaughters pushing me through airports in a wheelchair. Once we reached the room (fortunately there was an accessible cabin available three weeks prior to sailing when it became obvious that I wasn't going to be ready to take on the world yet with a walker) the scooter we rented was waiting for me. That scooter saved my vacation. I set it on turtle mode when in a crowded situation and found that people were very considerate overall. They held the door for me without asking. They commandeered an elevator for me without my asking. They squeezed themselves against elevators walls and encouraged me to join them in an elevator that I thought looked too full. They moved chairs out of the way in the Windjammer to help me navigate to an empty table. The list goes on and on.

It was a very hard way to learn how challenging life can be when you have mobility issues. But I will never forget how grateful I was to all those strangers who made an effort to make life a little easier for me.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, emeraldcity said:

Unfortunately, this post has gone off the rails.  Welcome to the wide world of social media.  It is what it is.

My experience is that the vast majority of people are very considerate. Last February I broke both ankles in a fall shortly after arriving in Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise on the Odyssey. You can't imagine the heartache or seeing your ship in the port as the plane is taking off returning you home two days later with both legs in splints. Fast forward about 100 days and I returned to Florida for a cruise on the Symphony with my granddaughters pushing me through airports in a wheelchair. Once we reached the room (fortunately there was an accessible cabin available three weeks prior to sailing when it became obvious that I wasn't going to be ready to take on the world yet with a walker) the scooter we rented was waiting for me. That scooter saved my vacation. I set it on turtle mode when in a crowded situation and found that people were very considerate overall. They held the door for me without asking. They commandeered an elevator for me without my asking. They squeezed themselves against elevators walls and encouraged me to join them in an elevator that I thought looked too full. They moved chairs out of the way in the Windjammer to help me navigate to an empty table. The list goes on and on.

It was a very hard way to learn how challenging life can be when you have mobility issues. But I will never forget how grateful I was to all those strangers who made an effort to make life a little easier for me.

Very glad it worked out well for you and people were courteous and helpful.  

I had total knee replacement in 2017, I had a cruise booked just a few weeks after the surgery.  To make a long story short, I refused to take a walker or get a scooter but I did take a cane.  99% of the passengers were very thoughtful, helpful and courteous. But, there was that ~10%.  I elected to use the stairs when going up for 2 or 3 decks as it was good therapy although a slow go.  I could hear some people talking behind me or above where they couldn't be seen, saying things like, "why don't these people use the elevators", "old folks are always slowing thing down" and so on.  Too bad they don't/didn't know how well this "old folk/people" could/can move before surgery and now.  I noticed that they would never say those things when identifiable. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

I am really not sure why everyone is taking the side of a rude person who totally ignored a request to move. 

This is a lesson I keep trying to explain to my child who reacts to annoying sibling behavior by hitting their sibling.  Annoying behavior is a problem and should be dealt with, but violent behavior is a worse problem and their violence will always lead to a proportionate response. 

Since this person was apparently facing your party, waiving your hand near their face to get their attention would have been my next step.  

Alternatively saying very loudly to the person near the elevator buttons/door "HOLD THE DOOR, we need to get this rude person to move so we can get off" might have gotten other passengers to get his attention for you.

• Like 5

So after re reading the posts, it appears that the elevator stopped at a floor and a man was talking and facing the subject on a scooter and did not move even after the subject said excuse me.  The subjects son moved the scooter forward hitting the man who was talking and blocking the doorway.   Years ago when I first started working as a nurse, I did private duty for a gentleman in a motorized WC where yes, we had to use elevators and people wouldn't move.  He would yell at them (which I hated but it got their attention) or I would ask them can we get by?  I would never ever just move the chair.  He accidentally ran over my toe on it and broke it once.  Hopefully the son and his parent think the next time and not be so impatient to get off or just ask louder.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, emeraldcity said:

Unfortunately, this post has gone off the rails.

THANK YOU - I experienced the same level of kindness and courtesy in November on our Anthem cruise.  It was my first cruise using a scooter and, unfortunately, the way I must cruise in the future.  People were kinder than when I cruised just using a cane.  In years past, they would rush the elevator and make us wait for another, standing there with a cane.    My scooter has given me freedoms I wouldn't be able to have otherwise with my disability.  For that, I am so thankful.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2023 at 4:45 AM, crazyank said:

There is no excuse for your son deliberately running into the man from behind. A simple tap on the shoulder should suffice.  And how do YOU know he didn't have a hearing problem?

They should have removed him from the ship.  There is no justification for deliberately running into another person with a scooter.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, emeraldcity said:

What a wonderful recount of your experiences. Thank you for sharing.

Sometimes it takes just one person to start the process of being kind & considerate to others and it starts a chain reaction. It's like once people are "reminded," they remember to see the humanity in others. I hope that all of us can be that person on our next cruise!

Edited by jbrinkm
  • Like 2

At last, I must concede that I need help in negotiating a ship...so I've been looking at purchasing my first portable mobile device, wheelchair or walker for our next cruise.  So we'll see how it is received soon.  I think I'll do a review from Allure in September from an accessible perspective.    You think holding a recording iphone whilst boarding elevators or negotiating the MDR or Windjammer will make a difference...we shall see.  Personally, I go out of my way to accomodate someone in a scooter or walker, my Momma raised me right. But this little experiment should be interesting.  Stay tuned....

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

At last, I must concede that I need help in negotiating a ship...so I've been looking at purchasing my first portable mobile device, wheelchair or walker for our next cruise.  So we'll see how it is received soon.  I think I'll do a review from Allure in September from an accessible perspective.    You think holding a recording iphone whilst boarding elevators or negotiating the MDR or Windjammer will make a difference...we shall see.  Personally, I go out of my way to accomodate someone in a scooter or walker, my Momma raised me right. But this little experiment should be interesting.  Stay tuned....

If you have the resources and know-how, this might be a perfect situation for a Go Pro style recording device! There are several different types of harness/headwear accessories that would make it much easier for your device to passively record rather than trying to hold on to an iPhone while moving around.

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2023 at 10:07 PM, Jasukkie said:

I've cruised a few times with family members using scooters. The housekeeping staff can be very helpful with both taking it overnight to charge and trouble shooting mechanical problems (they seem to love riding them lol). Elevators can be a problem but there are some ways to make life easier.

I'm in a powerchair now, but the last cruise where I rented a scooter, it was a Cadillac. I swear, it was nicer than my SUV. It had turn signals, multiple lights, and a mirror. It even went super fast (I didn't turn it to the high speed mode). Well, every evening after the late show, I'd go to the buffet to grab a snack before bed. There was a table busser who looked longingly at the scooter the first night (I had transferred to a regular chair to eat). Every time he walked by, he'd slow down to look at the scooter. Finally, I said, "go ahead, I know you want to try it." He demurred, but then, like a little kid, hopped on it and took off. It was a windy night out, so the pool deck was deserted. I could hear him racing up and down the deck, giggling the whole way. The rest of the cruise, he'd kind of raise an eyebrow at me and I'd tell him to go ahead. He got such joy out of it.

As far as elevators, if you are using a mobility device, get on the first elevator, no matter which way it's going. Eventually you'll get where you need to go and likely won't have to wait an inordinate amount of time.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

If you have the resources and know-how, this might be a perfect situation for a Go Pro style recording device! There are several different types of harness/headwear accessories that would make it much easier for your device to passively record rather than trying to hold on to an iPhone while moving around.

What good comes out of that?  Post some perceived slight on social media to shame some individual you know little about?  Passive aggressive behavior at best.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VirginiaIsForCruisers said:

I'm in a powerchair now, but the last cruise where I rented a scooter, it was a Cadillac. I swear, it was nicer than my SUV. It had turn signals, multiple lights, and a mirror. It even went super fast (I didn't turn it to the high speed mode). Well, every evening after the late show, I'd go to the buffet to grab a snack before bed. There was a table busser who looked longingly at the scooter the first night (I had transferred to a regular chair to eat). Every time he walked by, he'd slow down to look at the scooter. Finally, I said, "go ahead, I know you want to try it." He demurred, but then, like a little kid, hopped on it and took off. It was a windy night out, so the pool deck was deserted. I could hear him racing up and down the deck, giggling the whole way. The rest of the cruise, he'd kind of raise an eyebrow at me and I'd tell him to go ahead. He got such joy out of it.

As far as elevators, if you are using a mobility device, get on the first elevator, no matter which way it's going. Eventually you'll get where you need to go and likely won't have to wait an inordinate amount of time.

I love it! We had one server in Izumi take pictures of all the details of a trike style scooter because he wanted to try and make one back home in his shop. He sounded like a real MacGyver.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

To live blog what it is like to cruise from an accessible perspective. As she said she was going to do anyway (below) and could lead to helpful tips to others in the same situation cruising, the same way that many of us use tips and hints for traveling from our own perspectives. The Go Pro was a suggestion for making even the recording process more helpful when hands are needed to control the scooter or walker.

That has been on youtube for years.  Try "Cruising With Wheels", among others.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

We have everything known to man for GoPro and a GoPro 10...I'll get hubs to do it.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 3:11 PM, actuarian said:

The two companies that deliver scooters to the ship are Scootaround and Special Needs Group. You can find either of them by just searching for the company name in Google. I have used both of them multiple times. Scootaround is easier to contact by telephone if you have a problem but I think Special Needs does a better job of maintaining the scooters and making sure that the scooter they deliver has a battery that can hold a charge all day. They both supply scooters than can fit through cabin doors but, as other posters have pointed out, cannot get around beds that are close to the cabin door.

Thank you for the comparison. I will probably call Special Needs at Sea because of their consideration in keeping equipment well serviced so there are no breakdowns.

• 3 months later...
On 1/1/2023 at 11:37 AM, crazyank said:

yes, we agree it does happen and we agree that some people are very careless around scooters/wheelchairs.  Our experience with getting hit by a scooter is the result of a very serious incident that happened a couple years ago.

Can you go into a little more detail regarding your experience? This whole scooter thing on cruise ships is TOTALLY new to me!!!

On 1/13/2023 at 7:07 PM, Jasukkie said:

I've cruised a few times with family members using scooters. The housekeeping staff can be very helpful with both taking it overnight to charge and trouble shooting mechanical problems (they seem to love riding them lol). Elevators can be a problem but there are some ways to make life easier. The rear elevators are going to be busy at meal times. The forward ones when shows get out. Just waiting 15 minutes can make a big difference. Weather permitting, travel from one end of the ship to the other outside on the pool or promenade deck, rather than through the shops area. Keep a positive attitude, yes there will be a few people pushing past you on to elevators but more who offer assistance.

Thank you SO much for your comment on this cruise critic board!!! You just made me put another item on my list of things to do on my cruise:

**Assist others who have mobility issues and can use someone to be a fullback or offensive lineman (without being TOO offensive!) to block for them.

Hey, I'm used to Disneyland or the mall at Christmastime! I know how to scoot (pun intended) around crowds! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Schmink45 said:

Can you go into a little more detail regarding your experience? This whole scooter thing on cruise ships is TOTALLY new to me!!!

A scooter user ran over my wife's foot with the rear wheel of her scooter. The result was several broken bones, two major surgeries,  and several months of learning to walk normally again. The woman who ran her over never stopped, when confronted she denied everything.  Some scooter users are careful and courteous,  others definitely are not, especially when alcohol is involved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crazyank said:

A scooter user ran over my wife's foot with the rear wheel of her scooter. The result was several broken bones, two major surgeries,  and several months of learning to walk normally again. The woman who ran her over never stopped, when confronted she denied everything.  Some scooter users are careful and courteous,  others definitely are not, especially when alcohol is involved.

Sorry to hear about your Wife's foot.   

How did it happen?   Did the scooter driver not see your Wife?  

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry to hear about your Wife's foot.   

How did it happen?   Did the scooter driver not see your Wife?  

The driver was shoving her way thru a fairly crowded area using her scooter as a battering ram. Literally running up behind people and yelling for them to move or bumping them from behind. My wife tried to get out of the way but couldn't move far enough because of the crowd around us. The scooter driver made no attempt to avoid her, simply drove over her foot and kept going.

14 minutes ago, crazyank said:

The driver was shoving her way thru a fairly crowded area using her scooter as a battering ram. Literally running up behind people and yelling for them to move or bumping them from behind. My wife tried to get out of the way but couldn't move far enough because of the crowd around us. The scooter driver made no attempt to avoid her, simply drove over her foot and kept going.

From what I saw at Disney, this is totally believable.  There are turds in the world.   There are people that use a scooter. When there is an overlap, it is bad.  It is why we walk single-file in crowds with scooters with DD in the middle. 

I also don't go in front of scooters or wheelchairs for views or elevators.   I got some good karma from that once.  At the Epcot taco light show, we didn't arrive early enough to get fence position.   DH found one though and I looked around and we would have been blocking a wheelchair.  So, I pointed her out to the family and we found another place.  Right before the show started the family in front of us looked at their watches and left, so we got their primo spot.  Wheelchairs have to sit several feet back because they can't get on the grass.  

• Like 3

My brother and his now ex-wife (and deceased) had one naturally born child and they adopted from all over the world over 30 children that were disabled and faced certain death because of cultural and/or economic issues.  I am not disabled to the point of needing a wheelchair or mobility scooter.  So, I can't speak from my personal experience of being disabled like that.  But, I have had many conversations with those that are and it ain't a good story and I can fully understand the frustration those folks face on a daily basis.  There are far too many able-bodied people that treat the disabled as if they don't even exist and rudeness.  But, there is no excuse for anybody, disabled or not, to be rude and to the point of being physical.  USUALLY, if you treat people with respect you will get respect back.  Yet, some, there is no hope for.

• Like 3

I bring my own scooter onboard.  Have an accessible cabin so no problem fitting it in the cabin.  The problem is other people cut in front of me all the time and I have to stop suddenly.  Therefore people behind me can run into me.  It's very difficult to get around safely.  I go slow and never race.  At dinner my husband gets me up and into a chair and parks my scooter in the hall.  Also, make sure you take your scooter back and not someone elses.  I couldn't cruise anymore without it.  

• Like 2

I bring my own scooter onboard.  Have an accessible cabin so no problem fitting it in the cabin.  The problem is other people cut in front of me all the time and I have to stop suddenly.  Therefore people behind me can run into me.  It's very difficult to get around safely.  I go slow and never race.  At dinner my husband gets me up and into a chair and parks my scooter in the hall.  Also, make sure you take your scooter back and not someone elses.  I couldn't cruise anymore without it.  I would like to add that many people are so nice and help hold doors and I truly appreciate their help.  Thank you to all of you who help!

• Like 4