A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

7 hours ago, mysty said:

It will run us $399 USD per person.

At a local restaurant enjoy a Japanese Meal "Teppanyaki". After dinner you will drive back to pier around the Tokyo Metropolitan Area to enjoy night views from the coach.

Yikes!  $798 for teppanyaki and drive around the city in a bus? That is so overpriced it isn’t even funny, but most SS excursions are.

Mysty, you could easily get a private car with English speaking guide, and the same dinner at a fine restaurant enjoying the intimacy of place and your mate, at half the price you’re willing to pay SS.  Promise.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Yikes!  $798 for teppanyaki and drive around the city in a bus? That is so overpriced it isn’t even funny, but most SS excursions are.

Mysty, you could easily get a private car with English speaking guide, and the same dinner at a fine restaurant enjoying the intimacy of place and your mate, at half the price you’re willing to pay SS.  Promise.

Stumble,  this will be using the "funny money "  OBC.   We would not use our real-ish (Canadian) money for this kind of thing.    The "Select" excursions are definitely pricey.   We've only booked a few of those.   Mostly when there's an interesting meal included.   We're going going to dine our way around the world.  😁

• Like 5

The other "Select" excursions we have booked are....

EXPLORE & TASTE OAHU’S NORTH SHORE -  Honolulu - 2 RESERVATIONS - UNIT PRICE : $199.00

GASTRONOMIC EXPERIENCE OF WAIKATO REGION - Tauranga, New Zealand - 2 RESERVATIONS - UNIT PRICE : $249.00

ULTIMATE OYSTER EXPERIENCE - Eden, Australia - 2 RESERVATIONS - UNIT PRICE : $149.00

AN EVENING AT THE ROYAL PALACE - Bali , Indonesia - 2 RESERVATIONS - UNIT PRICE : $259.00

We have some no cost winery and brewery excursions booked as well as other interesting excursions.  We're looking forward to a range of experiences and cultures.  😁

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Yikes!  $798 for teppanyaki and drive around the city in a bus?

If you think that's bad, there is a SALT excursion for our upcoming cruise in Bergen that makes Mysty's teppanyaki a bargain.  So far, 2 are signed up (not us)...

image.thumb.png.5be227bb80eed696db6b149c1f6aa5c9.png

Edited by CruzinFeraBruzin

7 minutes ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

If you think that's bad, there is a SALT excursion for our upcoming cruise in Bergen that makes Mysty's teppanyaki a bargain.  So far, 2 are signed up (not us)...

image.thumb.png.5be227bb80eed696db6b149c1f6aa5c9.png

WOW!  That's eye-watering!  

• Like 2

Yes the prices for those tours are obscene.

I looked up the top 5 teppanyaki restaurants in Tokyo the one that was number 1 on the majority of Japanese sites cost $US 294 for their ultimate teppanyaki experience. But that includes a crab course as well as the waygu beef. And in Japan not all waygu beef is the same some get way more for their product especially if the region is a recent winner of the Japanese waygu Olympics.

The best value is one in the Ginza where $US 250 gets you lobster,crab and waygu beef. And it is only 1 minute from the nearest subway station though it is an 8 minute walk from the cruise terminal to the subway at the other end. And the subway ride is $US3 each way.

As for Eden it is quite possible this will be the tour you do-

https://www.magicaloystertours.com.au/

But it costs $A 70 though you need to get to the oyster farm. Also SS is not worse than other cruise lines as P&O charge $US150 for the tour.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Yes the prices for those tours are obscene.

I looked up the top 5 teppanyaki restaurants in Tokyo the one that was number 1 on the majority of Japanese sites cost $US 294 for their ultimate teppanyaki experience. But that includes a crab course as well as the waygu beef. And in Japan not all waygu beef is the same some get way more for their product especially if the region is a recent winner of the Japanese waygu Olympics.

The best value is one in the Ginza where $US 250 gets you lobster,crab and waygu beef. And it is only 1 minute from the nearest subway station though it is an 8 minute walk from the cruise terminal to the subway at the other end. And the subway ride is $US3 each way.

As for Eden it is quite possible this will be the tour you do-

https://www.magicaloystertours.com.au/

But it costs $A 70 though you need to get to the oyster farm. Also SS is not worse than other cruise lines as P&O charge $US150 for the tour.

Thank you drron!  I really appreciate the research you did to help with these excursions!!!!  🥰

3 hours ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

If you think that's bad, there is a SALT excursion for our upcoming cruise in Bergen that makes Mysty's teppanyaki a bargain.

I refuse to pay that much for seaweed and mussels!  Hell, I wouldn't even pay that exorbitant amount for king crab using @mysty's OBC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks for keeping everyone up to date on your experience.  I just booked my first cruise on Silver Sea cruise on the Muse leaving out of Anchorage in May.  Was reading through this thread to learn about your experience and pick up tips!

I'm curious:  What excursion did you select for San Francisco?  I live there now and I'm always curious what people do when they come into town on a ship...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stumblefoot said:

I refuse to pay that much for seaweed

You want seaweed, Stumblefoot?  Here is the SALT excursion in Guernsey aboard the Dawn for our cruise in May.  They found 1 person so far that thinks paying $300 bucks to pick seaweed and eat it is a great idea.

image.thumb.png.0aa4ca3080354bbc4f90a578ba1476ce.png

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Deckhawk said:

Thanks for keeping everyone up to date on your experience.  I just booked my first cruise on Silver Sea cruise on the Muse leaving out of Anchorage in May.  Was reading through this thread to learn about your experience and pick up tips!

I'm curious:  What excursion did you select for San Francisco?  I live there now and I'm always curious what people do when they come into town on a ship...

Unfortunately,  the available excursions for San Francisco are not yet listed.   If you have suggestions,  I would be interested.   We've been there a number of times (although not on a ship) and something different would be great!  😁

Edited by mysty

20 minutes ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

You want seaweed, Stumblefoot?  Here is the SALT excursion in Guernsey aboard the Dawn for our cruise in May.  They found 1 person so far that thinks paying $300 bucks to pick seaweed and eat it is a great idea.

image.thumb.png.0aa4ca3080354bbc4f90a578ba1476ce.png

Cruzin 😃😄😆

Just a mere $100 per course of seaweed.  Yummy!

At these prices, I think I could convince some SS passengers to try my gourmet pasture grass and clover grown exclusively for Angus beef cattle and American quarter horses.  It'll be one hell of a bus ride to reach the pasture in Illinois, but worth every penny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

At these prices, I think I could convince some SS passengers to try my gourmet pasture grass and clover grown exclusively for Angus beef cattle and American quarter horses. 

Add in the fertilizer for an additional fee?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Nah, manure is always included in the tour price.  Guess I should have noted above the tour price is organically all-inclusive.

Yes, let's not nickel and dime the passengers! 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Unfortunately,  the available excursions for San Francisco are not yet listed.   If you have suggestions,  I would be interested.   We've been there a number of times (although not on a ship) and something different would be great!  😁

Here are my thoughts on what do in San Francisco....

Prior to living in San Francisco, I was on a few cruises that stopped in San Francisco and the easiest thing to do is a wine trip to Napa/Sonoma.  Depending on when the ship is in port, you can uber/lyft right from the port, hit 2-3 wineries, have a late lunch and be back on board before you know it.  Let me know if you need some winery recommendations. 

If you want to stay in San Francisco area, a few recommendations:

Food Tour:  For my birthday, someone bought me a food tour of North Beach (the Italian area of the city).  Lots of history and great food here and something very local (many of the places I didn't know, even after living here 8+ years).  They also do tours of Chinatown and the Mission (Mexican/Latin food).  

-  Alcatraz Tour:  If you've never done it, this is one of the better national park tours in the US - but you need you need to buy tickets in advance.  You can walk from port to where the tours leave from.  It's take a few hours to do the tour.

-  Golden Gate Park:  If you've never been to Golden Gate Park, it's sorta like Central Park, but in San Francisco.  If the weather is good, there is great hiking, a few museums, a conservatory of flowers, etc.  Lots of stuff to do here.

-  Sausalito:  A town just over the Golden Gate Bridge - you can uber here from the port.  Great place to have lunch and walk along the ocean.  The town is beautiful, lots of nice little shops.

Muirwoods National Park:  A short drive outside the city (you'll need to rent a car - there is a place close to the port) is a national park with huge redwoods.  Amazing stuff if you want to get outside of the city.

Let me know if you have more questions - happy to help!

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Deckhawk said:

Prior to living in San Francisco, I was on a few cruises that stopped in San Francisco and the easiest thing to do is a wine trip to Napa/Sonoma.  Depending on when the ship is in port, you can uber/lyft right from the port, hit 2-3 wineries, have a late lunch and be back on board before you know it.  Let me know if you need some winery recommendations. 

Food Tour:  For my birthday, someone bought me a food tour of North Beach (the Italian area of the city).  Lots of history and great food here and something very local (many of the places I didn't know, even after living here 8+ years).  They also do tours of Chinatown and the Mission (Mexican/Latin food).  

-  Alcatraz Tour:  If you've never done it, this is one of the better national park tours in the US - but you need you need to buy tickets in advance.  You can walk from port to where the tours leave from.  It's take a few hours to do the tour.

-  Golden Gate Park:  If you've never been to Golden Gate Park, it's sorta like Central Park, but in San Francisco.  If the weather is good, there is great hiking, a few museums, a conservatory of flowers, etc.  Lots of stuff to do here.

-  Sausalito:  A town just over the Golden Gate Bridge - you can uber here from the port.  Great place to have lunch and walk along the ocean.  The town is beautiful, lots of nice little shops.

Muirwoods National Park:  A short drive outside the city (you'll need to rent a car - there is a place close to the port) is a national park with huge redwoods.  Amazing stuff if you want to get outside of the city.

Awesome suggestions Deck!  Thank you so much for taking the time to outline them.   I'm sure others on this adventure will also appreciate your good grace!  

I really hope you enjoy your first Silversea cruise! 🥰

54 minutes ago, Deckhawk said:

Excellent list.  The best day I had in SF [in four years of college and several convention visits afterward] was an all-day food tour of North Beach and Chinatown.  Started in North Beach with caffè, then a deli to compare Prosciutto di Parma vs high-end domestic, [other things I have forgotten], then a dim sum lunch followed by a walking tour through chinatown and down to Washington Square and the famous Liguria Bakery [they only make focaccia, in several flavors, and are open from 7 am until they run out] – I went back on the morning I was flying back east and bought one which perfumed the entire plane from my overhead carry-on!

[Note to JP: thankfully my clothes were in the checked bag, so they didn't get perfumed – as yours would! 🤣].

Sadly I don't think that vendor [a Chinese couple] are still in business, but there are similar ones you can find on The Google.  And you can definitely still visit Liguria, as long as you make it your first stop of the day!

• Like 3

I’ll be eating at Ossiano, Atlantis Palm Dubai on Monday, allegedly one of the best in the City, at the Bargain price of £256GBP (Not Monopoly money). It seems a bargain in comparison even though you can pick up a jellyfish on most beaches for free, I wouldn’t be quite sure how to cook one though. Air fryer maybe? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Deckhawk said:

Loving your post. I have been to most of those places and reading your descriptions makes me want to back😀

On one of our visits to San Francisco (eons ago) Myster and I were walking in the Fisherman's Wharf area.  There was a large group of people congregating a ways ahead of us and were all laughing uproariously.  We kept walking toward them hoping there would be an "aisle" to get through the crowd.  All of a sudden a giant shrub jumped out in front of me.  I almost wet my pants.  The crowd, however, exploded in gales of laughter.  I was the new victim.  Needless to say, we did not linger.  Hoping for no leaping shrubs on our next visit.  😅