A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

@Deckhawk I'm not sure how widely known this is...you can request special meals served course by course in your suite.  We've done this a few times and they were each exceptional.

In 2016 we requested that a bright light in the galley create a meal for us to be served in our suite.  It was a Philippine chef named Chef Vincent DeLa Cruz who created the meal.  It was amazing.

https://mpworldcruise.blogspot.com/2016/01/day-16-sea-day.html

On our 2017 Transatlantic we made the same request and Chef Geraldo De Leon created another scrumptious meal served in our suite.  Here is the menu....

DSC04681.JPG.933a8e275a44a3737783c363ffcff336.JPG 

On our recent Grand Northern Europe Voyage we had two special meals.  The first was also a Philippine meal (no chef noted)  Chicken adobo, Lumbia, Pansit and rice as was suggested by a fellow passenger.  It was incredible.

https://moonovernortherneurope.blogspot.com/2022/06/day-35-reyjavik-iceland.html

The chef at the Grill was from the Ukraine and was a wizard.  We dined at the Grill / Hot Rocks frequently during that cruise to be in the open air.  I don't cook at home and I certainly do not cook on a cruise.  I requested that my meals be plated and this chef was spot on no matter what I ordered.  We requested that he prepare a meal from his home country.  He used his grandmother's recipe to make the best cabbage rolls we have ever eaten.  It was served at the Grill.

https://moonovernortherneurope.blogspot.com/2022/06/day-44-at-sea-heading-to-oslo-norway.html

These were some of the best meals we've had on a ship.

It's best to coordinate this through your butler so that everyone is on the same page.  

Edited by mysty
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, mysty said:

I don't cook at home…

After 35-years of cooking for our family, Silver Queen wonders how Mysty, who claims to be just a little country mouse from a small town, pulled that trick off; is she independently wealthy who has her own cook or just incompetent? 😆

I went with independently wealthy, because I certainly didn’t want her to know Myster is the chef. That’s the last idea I need planted in her head.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

After 35-years of cooking for our family, Silver Queen wonders how Mysty, who claims to be just a little country mouse from a small town, pulled that trick off; is she independently wealthy who has her own cook or just incompetent? 😆

I went with independently wealthy, because I certainly didn’t want her to know Myster is the chef. That’s the last idea I need planted in her head.

They have a private chef who brings food to the house wearing a black tartan!  [the chef, not the food – except when he serves those lamb chops with the little covers on the bones 🤣]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Okay Stumble,  Silver Queen is correct with the incompetent cooking.   I really suck at it!  Myster is by far the better cook!  Definitely not independently wealthy!!!  Just heeded suggestions gleaned over the years from other Silversea passengers.   No extra dollars involved.   Still a country mouse from a small town. 😁

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They have a private chef who brings food to the house wearing a black tartan!  [the chef, not the food – except when he serves those lamb chops with the little covers on the bones 🤣]

Oh Jazz...if only! 😁  Myster is a very, very good cook and I'm sure the chef in black Tartan could take his place with his blessing!  And gratitude! 😁

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Oh Jazz...if only! 😁  Myster is a very, very good cook and I'm sure the chef in black Tartan could take his place with his blessing!  And gratitude! 😁

One of the (few) skills I brought to our marriage was that I could cook [and DW at that time couldn't; she was still living with her mother, the matriarch of the kitchen].  Once we were married DW figured out two things:  (1) our apartment was much closer to her job than mine, so by the time I got home she was starving; and (2) I only had three recipes [example: beef stroganoff made with ground beef, onions, Campbell's cream of mushroom soup, and sour cream – each with quantity = 1 (lb, bulb, can, container) – probably from the Whole Earth Catalog!].  In desperation she decided to start cooking – and a culinary star was born!  [And thankfully she hadn't learned any of her mother's recipes... 😀]

• Like 3

One of my favourite people boarded the Silver Shadow today to begin the 2023 World Cruise.  He very kindly sent me a pic of the closet in his Veranda suite.  Very excited to report that the lower level bar is back!!!  Myster will not have to hang his clothes over the bath tub!  😁

1461469359_VerandaCloset.jpg.0935522184b035d0eaac90fb4851d686.jpg

Thank you @turtlemichael!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/7/2023 at 8:24 PM, mysty said:

Mrs Banjo has had a private chef for 43 years…….  My mom made sure each of her children could cook, clean and sew, didn’t matter if you were a boy or girl.   Then dad made sure the boys all had a trade, “to fall back on” , if that college thing didn’t work out.   

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Mrs Banjo has had a private chef for 43 years…….  My mom made sure each of her children could cook, clean and sew, didn’t matter if you were a boy or girl.   Then dad made sure the boys all had a trade, “to fall back on” , if that college thing didn’t work out.   

You were definitely blessed with enlightened parents crusinbanjo!  Mrs must be as happy as a clam! 😁

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

This is a much more practical closet set up.  They should have this configuration on all the ships. 

Agreed!  They should not have removed it on the Shadow.  I think this configuration is still on the Whisper.  This setup is crucial for long cruises.  I take the lower bar and Myster takes a portion of the upper bar.  He is 6'3" so that works for both of us!  

• Like 3

My mother in law taught all her children to cook. obvious that Rojaan was the one to take those lessons seriously. Never follows a recipe but just knows what goes with what. i am an incredibly lucky fellow.

My mother also taught her sons to cook. she though was not in the same class as Rojaan's mum. However I can cook a very good curry which was great when I worked away from home but at Home Rojaan doesn't eat curry.

so my main contribution to meals apart from the simple breakfast and lunches we have is my version of a pizza when Rojaan doesn't feel like cooking. Very basic but tasty, so here it is. First take a wrap and cover with a pizza sauce and fresh herbs from the garden.

IMG_2006.JPG.2b2d6675390b4bac7f6b70118bff23e6.JPG

Always a lot of herbs. next is the secret ingredient. rojaan cooks up large batches of onion cooked in a pan with butter and portions frozen for occasions like this.

IMG_2008.JPG.2931cdc93f405bf1309403f63d40b8e1.JPG

Mushrooms added.

IMG_2009.JPG.3259753a3a1b7542f8baec1089b2f1e5.JPG

Then tomato often from the garden.

IMG_2010.JPG.a5962b798ac0850771995cb2d5f9e9e3.JPG

Covered with cheese and after ~ 10 minutes in the air fryer here it is.

IMG_2011.JPG.74060b82d7e9c606bb4ae0dcd107a6c2.JPG

Gradually refining the process. but they taste good.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, drron29 said:

My mother in law taught all her children to cook. obvious that Rojaan was the one to take those lessons seriously. Never follows a recipe but just knows what goes with what. i am an incredibly lucky fellow.

My mother also taught her sons to cook. she though was not in the same class as Rojaan's mum. However I can cook a very good curry which was great when I worked away from home but at Home Rojaan doesn't eat curry.

so my main contribution to meals apart from the simple breakfast and lunches we have is my version of a pizza when Rojaan doesn't feel like cooking. Very basic but tasty, so here it is. First take a wrap and cover with a pizza sauce and fresh herbs from the garden.

IMG_2006.JPG.2b2d6675390b4bac7f6b70118bff23e6.JPG

Always a lot of herbs. next is the secret ingredient. rojaan cooks up large batches of onion cooked in a pan with butter and portions frozen for occasions like this.

IMG_2008.JPG.2931cdc93f405bf1309403f63d40b8e1.JPG

Mushrooms added.

IMG_2009.JPG.3259753a3a1b7542f8baec1089b2f1e5.JPG

Then tomato often from the garden.

IMG_2010.JPG.a5962b798ac0850771995cb2d5f9e9e3.JPG

Covered with cheese and after ~ 10 minutes in the air fryer here it is.

IMG_2011.JPG.74060b82d7e9c606bb4ae0dcd107a6c2.JPG

Gradually refining the process. but they taste good.

Drron, that pizza looks delicious!!!  I envy Rojaan's ability to imagine flavour combinations!  I lack that skill!  I have a vivid imagination but it doesn't lend itself to food!  Your household seems to be fit for gourmands!  I heartily support you!  🥰

• Like 2

I must confess that I may have been wrong about the "removal" of the second bar in the closet.  The image I was using to make that statement was erroneous.  I apologize for the misinformation.  It seems that the bar was never actually removed.  Mea Culpa!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mysty said:

I must confess that I may have been wrong about the "removal" of the second bar in the closet.  The image I was using to make that statement was erroneous.  I apologize for the misinformation.  It seems that the bar was never actually removed.  Mea Culpa!

I wondered how they managed to find such an exact replacement!  But happy for you – now you can bring 2 of your closets.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I wondered how they managed to find such an exact replacement!  But happy for you – now you can bring 2 of your closets.  🤣

Negotiations have begun.  😅  I'm starting high and hoping Myster doesn't need more than 3 shirts,  one suit, 3 pairs of slacks,  1 pair of shorts.  I admit that I over packed for 2016.  I cut back for 2019.  But this adventure will be 160 days.   If Myster is reasonable,  which he is,  he will understand that I need to amp up.  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My beloved Mom never taught me how to cook but was always there to cook every meal in a delicious fashion (except a couple trips the folks took, when caretaker cooked).  Just saying - great Mom, will always miss her, and look out when it's my night to cook 😉

• Like 4

6 hours ago, mysty said:

Negotiations have begun.  😅  I'm starting high and hoping Myster doesn't need more than 3 shirts,  one suit, 3 pairs of slacks,  1 pair of shorts.  I admit that I over packed for 2016.  I cut back for 2019.  But this adventure will be 160 days.   If Myster is reasonable,  which he is,  he will understand that I need to amp up.  🤣

There’s no such thing as overpacking. I’d rather call it undertravelling. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, mysty said:

I must confess that I may have been wrong about the "removal" of the second bar in the closet.

In your defense, the veranda closet on the Moon only has one bar.  They need to just retrofit them to match the Shadow.  One bar is definitely not enough, no matter which ship you're on.  I agree on your earlier statement regarding packing for longer cruises.  Even with the free laundry, who wants to wear the same 4 or 5 outfits over and over when you're on a multiple months long cruise?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

In your defense, the veranda closet on the Moon only has one bar.  They need to just retrofit them to match the Shadow.  One bar is definitely not enough, no matter which ship you're on.  I agree on your earlier statement regarding packing for longer cruises.  Even with the free laundry, who wants to wear the same 4 or 5 outfits over and over when you're on a multiple months long cruise?

Thank you Cruzin!  I was beginning to think I was an oddity!  While I may actually be an oddity on other issues it's gratifying to know that I'm not alone with the packing and closet thing.  😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/7/2023 at 3:04 PM, mysty said:

@Deckhawk I'm not sure how widely known this is...you can request special meals served course by course in your suite.  We've done this a few times and they were each exceptional.

In 2016 we requested that a bright light in the galley create a meal for us to be served in our suite.  It was a Philippine chef named Chef Vincent DeLa Cruz who created the meal.  It was amazing.

https://mpworldcruise.blogspot.com/2016/01/day-16-sea-day.html

On our 2017 Transatlantic we made the same request and Chef Geraldo De Leon created another scrumptious meal served in our suite.  Here is the menu....

DSC04681.JPG.933a8e275a44a3737783c363ffcff336.JPG 

On our recent Grand Northern Europe Voyage we had two special meals.  The first was also a Philippine meal (no chef noted)  Chicken adobo, Lumbia, Pansit and rice as was suggested by a fellow passenger.  It was incredible.

https://moonovernortherneurope.blogspot.com/2022/06/day-35-reyjavik-iceland.html

The chef at the Grill was from the Ukraine and was a wizard.  We dined at the Grill / Hot Rocks frequently during that cruise to be in the open air.  I don't cook at home and I certainly do not cook on a cruise.  I requested that my meals be plated and this chef was spot on no matter what I ordered.  We requested that he prepare a meal from his home country.  He used his grandmother's recipe to make the best cabbage rolls we have ever eaten.  It was served at the Grill.

https://moonovernortherneurope.blogspot.com/2022/06/day-44-at-sea-heading-to-oslo-norway.html

These were some of the best meals we've had on a ship.

It's best to coordinate this through your butler so that everyone is on the same page.  

Solid tip!  I had read about dinner in the suite, but I especially love the personal touch.  All of my experiences have been with large ships with very little personalization, so something like this is really cool.  Thanks for that...

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 10:41 AM, mysty said:

I'm in love with the idea of Sausalito now!  Thanks for the suggestion @Deckhawk and @TER777!  The ferry ride sounds perfect as does Sausalito itself.

https://traveltodayworktomorrow.com/sausalito-day-trip-from-san-francisco/

If you end up there, here are some food recommendations:  https://sf.eater.com/maps/best-restaurants-bars-sausalito

• Like 1