Where is the 100th anniversary of world cruises hoopla?

Lakesregion

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

So is QM2 staying overnight in Southampton? I thought it hit Southampton on Jan 10th?

QM2 is doing an eight night crossing this time to arrive on Jan 11th. That's a bit out of the ordinary but not unprecedented. She has occasionally done eight night crossings in the past (even without stops in Halifax or Le Havre that add an extra night}.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bluemarble said:

QM2 is doing an eight night crossing this time to arrive on Jan 11th. That's a bit out of the ordinary but not unprecedented. She has occasionally done eight night crossings in the past (even without stops in Halifax or Le Havre that add an extra night}.

They could have called in somewhere for an 8 night job like Le Harve maybe or into Cork/Cobh or Dublin Belfast or Liverpool maybe? Of course people won't complain about the extra night and the extra afternoon tea

Edited by ace2542

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

There's an article on CNN commemorating Laconia's original world voyage which ended 100 years ago today on March 30, 1923.

The first round-the-world passenger cruise took place 100 years ago. Here’s what it was like on board

Thanks - really interesting.  Of course it was only for the very wealthy - probably the equivalent of taking a trip on SpaceX is now. Hopefully I'll live long enough for space travel to affordable for the rest of us.  I've certainly seen flying go from eyewatering expensive in the 70s to affordable now. 

• Like 1

Sadly the hoopla for the 100th anniversary of what was really not a Cunard sponsored world cruise died with the heavy foot of Covid. Nice to read that all but shooting off the ship still is part of the experience though much watered down to appease the Now allowed third class passengers who simply can not to dress for the occasion.

5 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Sadly the hoopla for the 100th anniversary of what was really not a Cunard sponsored world cruise died with the heavy foot of Covid. Nice to read that all but shooting off the ship still is part of the experience though much watered down to appease the Now allowed third class passengers who simply can not to dress for the occasion.

lolol ouch! that was veiled!  I love it for a sly comment...I want to remember that one

2 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

lolol ouch! that was veiled!  I love it for a sly comment...I want to remember that one

Obviously, he's not been on QV's worldies. The only world I can use to describe some of the Gala attire onboard, is dazzling! And that's just the chaps! 😄

I occasionally think  some folk are on a mission to put newbies off Cunard with their own version of 'how things should be done' and thus  hurry the demise of a great cruise line. 😄

Hopefully, the reality, as depicted by those of us probably considered below the salt,  can continue to reassure newcomers The Gilded Age is over and Cunard is full of 'normal' folk enjoying the wonderful ambiance of Cunard ships. 👍

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Obviously, he's not been on QV's worldies. The only world I can use to describe some of the Gala attire onboard, is dazzling! And that's just the chaps! 😄

I occasionally think  some folk are on a mission to put newbies off Cunard with their own version of 'how things should be done' and thus  hurry the demise of a great cruise line. 😄

Hopefully, the reality, as depicted by those of us probably considered below the salt,  can continue to reassure newcomers The Gilded Age is over and Cunard is full of 'normal' folk enjoying the wonderful ambiance of Cunard ships. 👍

with our own third class form of glitter!

8 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

Actually Britannia passengers are fourth class if you deem the two grill categories as two classes and then Britannia Cub as third class. And Britannia passengers do not get to roam the full ship being not allowed into the grill areas. So not much has changed in 100 years except the dress code.

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

One highly doubts that the 30 people that regularly post to this site will sway anyone one way or the other. However, I do congratulate you for being the defender of all things new in what appears to be a fear of losing "your" favorite ship to  the bean counters at Carnival.

2 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

One highly doubts that the 30 people that regularly post to this site will sway anyone one way or the other. However, I do congratulate you for being the defender of all things new in what appears to be a fear of losing "your" favorite ship to  the bean counters at Carnival.

I have no fear of losing my favourite ship for the foreseeable future as the tweaks wrought by Cunard and yes, I guess bean counting had a huge input, will ensure she sails for a good few years yet. 🙂

I agree we are few here, indeed minute when compared to actual passenger numbers but folk read these boards and some will be influenced by comment tone as well as content so it's as well to tell it how it is.

We can defend the traditional but must also be objective to the reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

No Offense, however, no one will know what you are talking about.

Deck Chair.

8 minutes ago, deck chair said:

No Offense, however, no one will know what you are talking about.

Deck Chair.

I’m also, as so often puzzled by the tone of the title of this thread. Where is…sounds vaguely wistful, as if more should be made of it. Hoopla sort of implies it would be an unnecessary or unjustified fuss. But I’ve no idea what shooting off the ship is, either.

19 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I’m also, as so often puzzled by the tone of the title of this thread. Where is…sounds vaguely wistful, as if more should be made of it. Hoopla sort of implies it would be an unnecessary or unjustified fuss. But I’ve no idea what shooting off the ship is, either.

Much of my reference points come from real life (Age 84) or from being a student of cultural history. Read a lot of books about proper society in the Dark ages before 9/11 and Covid. And all of my postings should be considered one man's opinion with no malice to those who may feel abused by my opinions. Relax everyone. Cunard will do what Cunard does and all can either take a ride with them or not. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But I’ve no idea what shooting off the ship is, either.

I believe that's a reference to clay pigeon shooting as one of the on-board activities on the Laconia mentioned in the CNN article I posted yesterday. Here's the quote.

"Eleanor writes of on-board leisure activities including lectures on the history and language of the Laconia’s destinations, a “camera club” – perfect for the Phelps sisters and their interest in photography – as well as a costume ball and classical concerts.

Meanwhile, Claudia details on-board clay pigeon shooting, fencing classes and time spent working out in the on-board gym."

8 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I believe that's a reference to clay pigeon shooting as one of the on-board activities on the Laconia mentioned in the CNN article I posted yesterday. Here's the quote.

"Eleanor writes of on-board leisure activities including lectures on the history and language of the Laconia’s destinations, a “camera club” – perfect for the Phelps sisters and their interest in photography – as well as a costume ball and classical concerts.

Meanwhile, Claudia details on-board clay pigeon shooting, fencing classes and time spent working out in the on-board gym."

Thank you. Very like today.

Tomorrow, we go for a few days in Devon at a hotel which is rather like being on a Cunard ship, and it does have clay pigeon shooting in the summer. They also require jacket and tie in the restaurant. Mind you, I bring down the average by being there. 😀

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Much of my reference points come from real life (Age 84) or from being a student of cultural history. Read a lot of books about proper society in the Dark ages before 9/11 and Covid. And all of my postings should be considered one man's opinion with no malice to those who may feel abused by my opinions. Relax everyone. Cunard will do what Cunard does and all can either take a ride with them or not. 

Counting myself as a now allowed third class passenger - I assume you are referring to social class, not the sort of cabin I have - I feel somewhat slighted, but not abused because I don’t care sufficiently about your opinions.

33 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Counting myself as a now allowed third class passenger - I assume you are referring to social class, not the sort of cabin I have - I feel somewhat slighted, but not abused because I don’t care sufficiently about your opinions.

Hey, as a relative newcomer to Cunard, I must also be third class. We will celebrate our new standing in our not so third class cabin.  😄

All welcome to come and join us!!  🍷

ps

Careful of those guns in Devon. I got cracking bruises on my shoulder and jaw for a while from a .22.

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Hey, as a relative newcomer to Cunard, I must also be third class. We will celebrate our new standing in our not so third class cabin.  😄

All welcome to come and join us!!  🍷

ps

Careful of those guns in Devon. I got cracking bruises on my shoulder and jaw for a while from a .22.

Oh I wouldn’t go near them. However, I do enjoying watching the hawk that comes (at a different time) to encourage the seagulls not to nest in town.

As much as I like “skeet” shooting (best to use a 20 gauge shotgun) trying to aim and fire on the bobbing deck of a ship makes a challenging sport even more so. 

Let’s bring it back anyway!

18 minutes ago, NE John said:

As much as I like “skeet” shooting (best to use a 20 gauge shotgun) trying to aim and fire on the bobbing deck of a ship makes a challenging sport even more so. 

Let’s bring it back anyway!

I meant to mention earlier @WantedOnVoyage's excellent account of Laconia's 1922-23 world voyage contains further details about the clay pigeon shooting introduced on the Laconia, including a photo. I trust he won't mind my quoting this detail from that article.

"... Laconia was equipped with six sporting guns, 50,000 rounds of sporting cartridges and 40,000 clay bird targets."

17 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I meant to mention earlier @WantedOnVoyage's excellent account of Laconia's 1922-23 world voyage contains further details about the clay pigeon shooting introduced on the Laconia, including a photo. I trust he won't mind my quoting this detail from that article.

"... Laconia was equipped with six sporting guns, 50,000 rounds of sporting cartridges and 40,000 clay bird targets."

Those Anglo-American aristocrats were certainly locked and loaded back  then. 

Edited by NE John