New to MSC/Some questions

nidaco

Good morning,  Last week we booked the MSC Merviglia out of NYC February 2024.  My husband and I are seasoned cruisers with RC (Diamond) and Carnival (Platinum).  We love cruising on both lines but wanted to try another cruise line plus I didn't want to pay to fly.  So here are some questions:

1.  We booked with Travelocity.  How do I pick a dinner time or do I need to contact MSC?

2.  Is lunch and breakfast available in the Main dining room on sea days or is it just the buffet area?

3. How do I purchase the dining package?  Once I book the dining package,  am I able to pick day/time prior to the cruise?

4.  How is the entertainment?  Are there shows that I need to purchase tickets in advance?

5.  What else is "different" regarding MSC vs.  RC/Carnival?  We are pretty excited to try something new but I also want to be realistic. Any advice, tips, etc would be helpful.

Thanks

Have you created an online account on the MSC site and linked your reservation to it by booking number? Once you do that you can get your passenger information and travel credentials entered and book excursions, spa services, drink packages, and specialty dining packages online. Not sure about the dining time. You may need to call for that.

Just now, jame_g said:

Have you created an online account on the MSC site and linked your reservation to it by booking number? Once you do that you can get your passenger information and travel credentials entered and book excursions, spa services, drink packages, and specialty dining packages online. Not sure about the dining time. You may need to call for that.

In my case, yes. Though last night, after booking, there were no beverage nor specialty dining options which came up... only internet and shore excursions (for the most part).

Tom

They won't show the drink package or internet included there. But it does show up on your booking documentation and boarding pass documentation. February 2024 is probably too far out for other items to start showing up, I would check back with less than an year and probably more like 9 months out. I have a March 2024 reservation and nothing shows up for that one online yet either.

Edited by jame_g
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nidaco said:

1.  We booked with Travelocity.  How do I pick a dinner time or do I need to contact MSC?

2.  Is lunch and breakfast available in the Main dining room on sea days or is it just the buffet area?

4.  How is the entertainment?  Are there shows that I need to purchase tickets in advance?

5.  What else is "different" regarding MSC vs.  RC/Carnival?  We are pretty excited to try something new but I also want to be realistic. Any advice, tips, etc would be helpful.

Thanks

We had been with other lines and 2 times with MSC.  I will try to give some answer but not all.  

We booked through TA whose told MSC we would like early and a table for 2 which we did get it from our 12/4 Meraviglia sailing.  Also we had the Fantastica experience, would it make any different on the choice or not we are not sure.

Breakfast and lunch you can go to the dinning room beside the Market Place.  I believe while we were in Ocean Cay no lunch was served in the dinning room.

MSC had show every night and there are shows with a charge you would need to reverse before or after on board. 

We had been on other lines too but we like MSC OK for the price and service.  Our first time on Divina was OK enough we went again on Mereviglia and it was good so we already booked another  one on Seaside for later this year.  With a status match plus military discount we can cruise with MSC twice verses Carnival/RCL only one.

MSC ships are beautiful and clean. 

Happy cruising

Edited by ChattTenn

8 hours ago, nidaco said:

Others have answered 1-3, so I'll answer these...

4) Very different from RCCL/CCL. You have to understand it's an international mix of passengers and not everyone speaks English well, or at all. So the entertainment tends to be more along the lines of physical (e.g., acrobats/dancing) or singing. No real comedians (except sometimes slap-sticky), or "games" like Newlywed, Quest (or whatever it's called now), etc. 

Also, the shows tend to be short...30-40min long.

5) The biggest difference is the passenger mix. Because of that, you'll often hear announcements in several languages. But, more importantly, it's a good way to meet people from different countries and learn a little about their way of life. If you enjoy traveling (outside of the country), you'll love this aspect.

Along with that, many report that the staff is more "European" instead of "American". Basically, they don't approach you 50 times an hour with a smile asking if you want/need anything. Instead, they "stand by" waiting for you to speak up and ask if you need something.

6) You didn't ask, but the Yacht Club is a completely different experience that really isn't matched on any other mainstream cruise line.

My personal opinion of MSC is that, once onboard the ship, it's amazing. In fact, until I sailed an E class with Celebrity, MSC ships were the most beautiful I'd ever seen. However, getting to that point can sometimes be incredibly frustrating. Pray you never have to contact customer service, or have anything "automatically and silently" changed by their computers.

7 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

...Pray you never have to contact customer service, or have anything "automatically and silently" changed by their computers.

Oh boy - already dealing with them as the state/city fields in their web form for status loyalty match are not working (multiple computers, multiple browsers). Let the games begin !

Tom

• Haha 1

I don’t have any real answers for you but we’ve recently booked 2 MSC cruises for 2023, one on December and one in March. We’ve mostly cruised Carnival to this point and these will be out first on MSC.

Our December cruise isn’t showing any options to book, other than spa services. However, our March cruise appears to have a full line up of options available. I’m wondering if the December one might be too far out. This might be the case for your 2024 on as well?

47 minutes ago, PurpleShamrock317 said:

I don’t have any real answers for you but we’ve recently booked 2 MSC cruises for 2023, one on December and one in March. We’ve mostly cruised Carnival to this point and these will be out first on MSC.

Our December cruise isn’t showing any options to book, other than spa services. However, our March cruise appears to have a full line up of options available. I’m wondering if the December one might be too far out. This might be the case for your 2024 on as well?

As far as my booking, it's April '23 - and nothing showing yet (for Beverage or Specialty Restaurants).

Tom

On 1/2/2023 at 5:02 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Oh boy - already dealing with them as the state/city fields in their web form for status loyalty match are not working (multiple computers, multiple browsers). Let the games begin !

Tom

may want to enter the zip first, and then it fills in the city/state.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

may want to enter the zip first, and then it fills in the city/state.

Yep - thanks. I learned that was the trick, fill the zip then select "Get It". Then it auto-filled. Strange phrase. English is not their first language I'd guess, lol.

Tom

On 1/2/2023 at 8:15 AM, nidaco said:

Good morning,  Last week we booked the MSC Merviglia out of NYC February 2024.  My husband and I are seasoned cruisers with RC (Diamond) and Carnival (Platinum).  We love cruising on both lines but wanted to try another cruise line plus I didn't want to pay to fly.  So here are some questions:

3. How do I purchase the dining package?  Once I book the dining package,  am I able to pick day/time prior to the cruise?

Thanks

1. You need to contact Travelocity to pick your dinner time.

2. Yes Breakfast and Lunch are available in the MDR on Sea Days.

3. You should be able to purchase the dining package online under your booking even though sometimes it just doesn't show up for some.  You cannot pick a day/time until you get on the ship. to make it easy go to a kiosk and book your specialty dining times.

4. We love the entertainment, totally different than RC/Carnival though. No comedians, there is so many different cultures that it really isn't possible.  They have evening shows that are 30 to 40 minutes long than can include opera, acrobats, skating, etc. all in the same show. 

5. Go in with an open mind. This is NOT RC/Carnival and we love them for that. We are Platinum on Carnival and Princess and Sapphire on NCL. We have also sailed many times on Celebrity. Our favorite cruise line is MSC. Things definitely do not always go smooth on a cruise and MSC is no exception. I have found if charm can't get you anywhere there Officers are great.  We had a problem on the Seaside and the Hotel Director assigned his assistant to us and it was taken care of immediately. On the Divina, Seaside, and Seashore the Officers extension numbers were posted on the large screen in the mornings.  

I have not been on the Meraviglia but will be doing an 11 day cruise in 2 1/2 weeks on her so can answer any questions you may have then.

• Like 3

On 1/2/2023 at 2:34 PM, ChattTenn said:

We had been with other lines and 2 times with MSC.  I will try to give some answer but not all.  

We booked through TA whose told MSC we would like early and a table for 2 which we did get it from our 12/4 Meraviglia sailing.  Also we had the Fantastica experience, would it make any different on the choice or not we are not sure.

Breakfast and lunch you can go to the dinning room beside the Market Place.  I believe while we were in Ocean Cay no lunch was served in the dinning room.

MSC had show every night and there are shows with a charge you would need to reverse before or after on board. 

We had been on other lines too but we like MSC OK for the price and service.  Our first time on Divina was OK enough we went again on Mereviglia and it was good so we already booked another  one on Seaside for later this year.  With a status match plus military discount we can cruise with MSC twice verses Carnival/RCL only one.

MSC ships are beautiful and clean. 

Happy cruising

Might I ask:  how did you get the military discount applied? 

34 minutes ago, 2flacruisers said:

Might I ask:  how did you get the military discount applied? 

In order to get military discount, you or your TA must fax MSC for DD214 (if you are a veteran or other military document to prove you are a military person}.  On every sailing with MSC you/TA must submit the information in order to get the discount because MSC does not retain the military information in their database not as Princess you only submit the info once.

Once MSC approves they will send a new invoice with price adjustment.

Edited by ChattTenn

1 hour ago, ChattTenn said:

In order to get military discount, you or your TA must fax MSC for DD214 (if you are a veteran or other military document to prove you are a military person}.  On every sailing with MSC you/TA must submit the information in order to get the discount because MSC does not retain the military information in their database not as Princess you only submit the info once.

Once MSC approves they will send a new invoice with price adjustment.

Is there some fixed % discount? And, is it combinable with other discounts? 

Tom

54 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Is there some fixed % discount? And, is it combinable with other discounts? 

Tom

For Voyage Club (repeat customer) MSC gives 5% and for military discount 10% (balcony and up).  You can not combine VC and Military.  Most of the time we would use only Military because it is better than VC.

• Thanks 1

I booked World Europa this August sailing out of Barcelona.  I am second guessing myself if this is the right cruise line for us.  I am nervous because of all the negative reviews I have read and watched on various platforms.  I have sailed on numerous ships and have travelled to Europe so I have an understanding of the European Culture.  I have also spent summers aboard Portugal.  I am not concerned of the food since we plan to eat majority of our meals outside the ship. However, from what I read what concerns me is the lack of professionalism around customer service and training compared to other cruise lines.   I am traveling with my son and husband.  My son will be 17-years-old when he sails.  He is dx with moderate autism.  We have traveled a lot with him and he enjoys traveling with us.  We've have sailed on large class ships like SOTS/RCL and AOTS/RCL and never had an issue.  We also traveled to Portugal with him, which he loved.  I would appreciate any feedback from those who sailed on MSC especially with a disability.  What were your experience like?  I would also like to here from those sailed out of the Barcelona Port. What was your experience like around embarkation and debarkation.  

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Edited by anabella95

Pinnacle on Royal, nearly Platinum on Carnival, Diamond on MSC through status match. 

Currently on Meraviglia sitting at the OC lighthouse bar approaching sunset at I type this.  Second time on MV. 

MSC is different but that's okay.  Different is good. 

Your features or entitlements will vary based on your booking.  Bella, Fantastica, Aurea, Yatch Club.  No my time dining with some of them so that's one way they differ.  That concept doesn't map to CCL or RCI. 

MSC doesn't use a lot of salt so their food can seem bland, add salt to your liking or enjoy lower sodium dining.

Royal always feels like home to me since I've obviously sailed them a lot.  I still enjoy MSC.   Meraviglia is a great ship I'll book again.  I have more Royal bookings at the moment but I have several MSC too and may add some more since their pricing is attractive.  They are relatively new to the US market and if they fine tune a few things they'll be a serious threat to Royal.

On 1/3/2023 at 9:48 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

As far as my booking, it's April '23 - and nothing showing yet (for Beverage or Specialty Restaurants).

Tom

We are going on Seascape in April, and I haven’t been able to purchase any dining yet (although beverage packages have been showing up in the app pretty much since we booked a few months ago), either, so I’m glad to see I’m not alone! Hopefully soon!