Specialty Dining 1-1-1

BirdTravels

The Bird tries to keep up with NCL changes, but has not noticed the restriction of Specialty Dining to 1-1-1. Is this new, or has The Bird been asleep on her perch?

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/dining-terms-conditions

Dining Terms and Conditions

Specialty Dining Packages (SDP) are available online for pre-sale or onboard during the first two days of the voyage. SDP is not available on 1 and 2-day sailings; On 3-day sailings, SDP is for sale on day 1 only. No refunds available if not all meals are used. SDPs are personal (per person, e.g., 2 guests cannot share 1 SDP meal) and non-transferable (guests cannot give their SDP meals to someone else). An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert (does not apply to cover charge restaurants or Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar and Sushi, where a meal includes any 4 menu items). No sharing or to go orders permitted. SDP does not include beverages and additional and/or premium menu items will incur charges. A 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. No SDP kids pricing available. We encourage guests to visit ncl.com/myncl to make dining reservations in advance. Reservations are not required but highly recommended, once onboard, reservations will be subject to availability. SDP meals can be enjoyed at American Diner, Cagney’s Steakhouse, Food Republic, Italian, Le Bistro, Los Lobos, Moderno Churrascaria, Pincho Tapas Bar, Q Texas Smokehouse, Raw Bar, Seafood, Sushi and Teppanyaki.

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

All Specialty Restaurant menu items are included except Seafood Platter in Raw Bar.

An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert (does not apply to cover charge restaurants or Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar and Sushi, where a meal includes any 4 menu items). SDP does not include beverages and additional and/or premium menu items will incur charges.

• Like 1

Interesting.  There doesn't seem to be the same restriction written in the FAS Terms & Conditions.  I wonder if these restrictions only apply to additional purchased specialty dining meals, not the "included" FAS meals.  I'll be on board Dawn at the end of January, with an "included" FAS meal, the 2-meal specialty dining upgrade, and 2 Platinum dinners, so I guess I'll see what the difference is!  

Thanks for the heads up, Bird!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

Conforms to what we were told on Joy last month.  

Waiters always have asserted these restrictions (even pre-pandemic), but it was never in the terms and conditions and we have always ordered multiple appetizers. Now that the cruise line has inserted the restriction into the Terms and Conditions, we have no basis for asking for more free. 

• Like 1

In the past we always ordered 1 app, 1 soup, 1 salad, 1 meal and 1 dessert. Now it's "soup OR salad" not both. Seems a little petty to me since we always got both before. We never order 2 of any menu item simpye because we can't eat all that, but I know some people do. 

Edited by uneamie

I wonder how long this has been in the T&C?
December they kept saying this on the Breakaway, I ignored them as they often try to pull that one, we both ordered multiple apps and did not get charged 🤔.

12 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I wonder how long this has been in the T&C?
December they kept saying this on the Breakaway, I ignored them as they often try to pull that one, we both ordered multiple apps and did not get charged 🤔.

Must be new. We sailed in early December, and I am sure that I checked the T&C shortly before our cruise. 

• Thanks 1

That looks like 1,1,1,1 to me.  1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert

YMMV.  

Wife and I never order two deserts...if we even order any deserts..it's just too much food for me.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2023 at 10:40 PM, BirdTravels said:

Waiters always have asserted these restrictions (even pre-pandemic), but it was never in the terms and conditions and we have always ordered multiple appetizers. 

52 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

December they kept saying this on the Breakaway, I ignored them as they often try to pull that one, we both ordered multiple apps and did not get charged

For a long time, waiters have said that there are restrictions and now the restrictions are in writing BUT has anyone actually been charged extra for extra items? 🤔

Interesting. I quite often want two apps, main and dessert so no soup or salad. Or at Le Bistro I don’t like the apps but want soup, salad, main and dessert. Will be interesting to see how they react to situations like this. 

Sailing in beginning of spring. I wonder how many changes FDR will still do before that 🤣

Btw it’s really sad to see the constant penny pinching going on at NCL. Yes NCLH is in financial trouble (like the rest of the cruiselines) but this much trouble that they need to constantly do small penny pinching changes here and there…for our convenience only, of course 🤦🏼‍♀️ I am sure this won’t bother the newer NCL cruisers but as a long time NCL cruiser this might very well be my last NCL cruise (or perhaps any cruise) for several years. Seeing constant cuts in services and penny pinching leaves a very bad taste into my mouth.

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 1

This is almost certain to be new, AFAIK.  We're on the Joy and had both Platinum & SD vouchers, Cagney waiter carefully explained the difference & choices ... told him, whatever isn't covered, just put it thru the room charges.  

The sides are truly small or petite for its listed price.  Starters for Teppanyaki's set dinner was pathetic ... consistent with the latest "waste management" theme.  No chance that we'll pay 120% pricing as add-ons for sides and some of the starters in SD.  

Collage_2022-09-20_22_01_33.jpg

Edited by mking8288

42 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

So...I know this discussion is about SDP,  but I assume you can still get more than one appetizer in the main dining rooms? (Which we did most every night in November)...

Yes, even 2 mains if you want 😂

On 1/3/2023 at 11:51 PM, Back to school said:

No explanation for sides Cagney’s Steakhouse?  2 sides Ocean Blue.  Bliss menu 12/22 Cagney $20 supplement porterhouse, and discontinue tomahawks.

I would not pay the $20 for the porterhouse I had it on the escape it was included but it was the worse steak I have had in years. All the Fillets ordered were good.

On 1/3/2023 at 10:40 PM, BirdTravels said:

Waiters always have asserted these restrictions (even pre-pandemic), but it was never in the terms and conditions and we have always ordered multiple appetizers. Now that the cruise line has inserted the restriction into the Terms and Conditions, we have no basis for asking for more free. 

They were strict on this on the Escape I was just on. All of the special dining. One thing I really had to laugh at was the pizza in the Italian restaurant is now a main course and it looked the same as the buffet pizza.

59 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

For a long time, waiters have said that there are restrictions and now the restrictions are in writing BUT has anyone actually been charged extra for extra items? 🤔

They just refused to give you anything extra.

3 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

They were strict on this on the Escape I was just on. All of the special dining. One thing I really had to laugh at was the pizza in the Italian restaurant is now a main course and it looked the same as the buffet pizza.

Up until now, the waiters have been "strict" on the rules. We order whatever we want and have never been charged. We were ready to "do battle" with the restaurant manager if a charge showed up. And willing to pay for the extra apps, with a complaint to the General Manager, if it came down to it. 

Edited by BirdTravels

59 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

So...I know this discussion is about SDP,  but I assume you can still get more than one appetizer in the main dining rooms? (Which we did most every night in November)...

You can order multiple full meals if you want. Or create your own tasting menu with multiple mains. 

hopefully, most of the entrees come with a choice of sides.  I rarely get a soup or salad and never get dessert.  I would hate to think my meal would be 1 app and just an entrée with no sides.  Granted previous to my last cruise I only had one free at sea dinner and I always used in for Moderno.  So this change would be mute there.  On my last cruise, I won an upgrade to balcony from inside, so I got a 2nd meal and went to Cagney's.

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Cagney waiter carefully explained the difference & choices ... told him, whatever isn't covered, just put it thru the room charges.  

The sides are truly small or petite for its listed price.

Wait.  Can you elaborate on Cagney's sides?  Did you actually get limited to only one....or as many as you want...as in the past?

If only one, then they are painfully small (spoon-sized tasting)....and in my opinion, flavorless...but my question is on quantity.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

Wait.  Can you elaborate on Cagney's sides?  

Photos of the sides from Sept's Joy dinner at Cagney's using our Platinum voucher with the bottle of wine. 

We had 3 sides, 3 pieces of Zucchini.  Sauteed sliced mushrooms and spinach were better, priced then $8 each if not covered.  Each of us have our own definitions and expectations ... you decide, YMMV. 

Warm bread with butter are still unlimited, for your convenience and complimentary ... for now.  

P.S.  NCL should just forget "wasting" all those fancy side dish plates/bowls and spoon them skillfully in the open kitchen directly onto the entree's plate.  There was plenty of space for 2 or more sides, definitely with just one with that 8 oz. filet mignon.  Far fewer items going into the dishwashers using less hot water & generated electricity to dry them, and lightened the server's carried tray's weight - align with the latest eco-green friendly vision & commitment.  

Collage_2023-01-05_14_41_46.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

Wow this is NOT OK in the least bit!!!! One of the reasons I switched to NCL cruises almost 20 years ago was the fact they introduced the specialty restaurants. Be as it is now the ALA CARTE prices are similar and in some cases much higher than we can get/pay for fine dining restaurants in the US.

They have slowly raised the prices of each and every menu item through the years but this would be the nail in the coffin for me. I LOVE appetizers, sometimes more than the actual entree so I've always ordered multiple apps in the specialties, sometimes 3 or 4. I usually don't order salad/soup and sometimes even waive my dessert if I'm already full. Restricting the perks that we've earned in addition to the "EXTRA" paid specialty meals is just ABOVE AND BEYOND the "NiCkeL and diming" approach that they've adopted since FDR has been at the helm.

I will ordering multiple apps on my upcoming Encore cruise (Jan 22) and if I get charged for any of them, just might be the las NCL cruise for me...  

Sadly, if people keep booking with them and putting up with the cuts, they will continue to take things away.  😞

• Like 2