Bringing homemade trail mix onboard

KKB

OK since I avoid gluten, I make small bags of trail mix to have on flights should I need a snack (nuts, fruit, chocolate pieces).

I make my own as it is difficult to find prepackaged bags that don't have raisins or peanuts. (plus much cheaper)

I see on Carnival's website that only prepackaged items are allowed onboard.

I take enough for all flights so I would still have a couple in my bag for the flights back when I board. (I don't open them while onboard)

I've never had an issue on other lines.

Do you think it will be an issue?

Thx

They are getting more strict about seeds and nuts in particular. At the port of embarkation they're really looking for alcohol and drugs so you'll probably be fine, but be prepared to have to toss it if questioned.

Where you're most likely to have issues is if you carry some off in a port of call, you probably won't be able to bring it back onboard.

It's unlikely Carnival will care if they find it. But, technically most countries (including the US) wont' allow you to bring unpackaged food in. Especially nuts and fruits. So, while I don't think you would have too much issue bringing it on the ship; any time you took it off the ship you would be violating customs laws.

Different countries are more thorough than others. We were actually on a flight to Australia where we received a sealed packet of nuts on the plane. When we landed we had saved them to take with us and had to throw them out. They wouldn't allow any nuts in, including packaged. 

Edited by sanger727

30 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Unfortunately, it's a customs/border protection agriculture issue. Whether or not you will get caught, that's a different story.

Been doing it for years w/o issue. 

No big deal if they decide to toss it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Been doing it for years w/o issue. 

No big deal if they decide to toss it.

This has been policy forever but they've been more strict with it since the COVID restart I've noticed.

As has been mentioned it is against the law to bring these goods on or off the ship so it's up to your individual morality what you do with that information.

I'd play it this way.

Keep it all in the sealed store bought container bags. Bring extra ziplocs and mix onboard.

Most ports have rules against bringing fruits, nuts, seeds, so I believe you should just plan to not take them ashore at any time and to dispose of all of it before returning to your home departure port.

Attempts to take it off could be a hassle leading to bigger hassles you don't want to have.

15 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

I'd play it this way.

Keep it all in the sealed store bought container bags. Bring extra ziplocs and mix onboard.

Most ports have rules against bringing fruits, nuts, seeds, so I believe you should just plan to not take them ashore at any time and to dispose of all of it before returning to your home departure port.

Attempts to take it off could be a hassle leading to bigger hassles you don't want to have.

Lol I’d need an extra bag—I buy pretty large bags of nuts!

25 minutes ago, jennifur25 said:

Nobody said anything about getting off at any foreign ports with the trail mix. Only that it would be staying in their suitcase until they flew home. I can't imagine why there would be a problem with that.

The problem is stated in the original post. OP would have to knowingly smuggle contraband on embarkation. 

Breaking rules and policy because you don't see issue is why policies become stricter or revoked totally.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From Carnival's Prohibited items List (to which you agree with your cruise contract):

"Due to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention, any food items brought on board must be pre-packaged and unopened.  Homemade items or pre-cooked foods are not allowed.  We are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve actually done this home made Chex mix several times.  I don’t put nuts.  Just pretzels, cereal, gold fish.  Sometimes Chinese crackers. 

To the person who said to bring it in the original containers, since it’s made with margarine and spices and cooked at a low temp, that wouldn’t work. 

I need something crunchy to  snack on at night and the stuff carnival offers is too heavy and calorie dense.  

As I have said previously, giving little bowls of free spicy nibbles would probably increase drinking amongst those of us who would never get the cheers package but still drink a good amount.  

I suggested that to J Heald years ago online and his shortsighted response was something about guests digging in the same bowls would be unsanitary.   🙄 

SMH😔

I just wouldn't, for all the reasons people have already mentioned.

If I was in your shoes, and if it were that important to me, I would just buy small packages of the ingredients you use (usually can find snack size packets at the dollar store, or Walgreens/CVS around here) and then mix them once you get OFF the ship and are headed to the airport. Or find some other kind of prepackaged snacks that you can eat and have those handy instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic101680 said:

I just wouldn't, for all the reasons people have already mentioned.

If I was in your shoes, and if it were that important to me, I would just buy small packages of the ingredients you use (usually can find snack size packets at the dollar store, or Walgreens/CVS around here) and then mix them once you get OFF the ship and are headed to the airport. Or find some other kind of prepackaged snacks that you can eat and have those handy instead.

Great Idea!

My Dollar Tree has lots of prepackaged food and I buy it all the time for travel. You can get different nuts (like cashews), dried fruit like banana or mango and chocolates like M&M's. Just brin along a ziplock bag and assemble when you're off the ship. It will cost you $5 or $6. 

• Like 1