St John's and Halifax Canada

BCahill315

Hello fellow cruisers!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions for the best walk from the cruise port to anything worth seeing in St John's, NB and Halifax, NS. My daughter is autistic and my husband is disabled so going on an excursion is generally more work and worry than it is fun. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, shof515 said:

in Halifax there is a long boardwalk near the ship, great for long walks

I was just reading about the boardwalk. That will be perfect and now I can't wait to try a Donair! Thank you so much!

Both ports are very walkable, although they can be hilly away from the waterfront. I would rate Halifax as more child-friendly. Saint John has a walkway along the waterfront - there's a nice nature park you can visit there.

• Like 1

So, this is practically ancient history, but FWIW, my family did a cruise in 2011 on Carnival Glory from NYC to St. John and Halifax.  My DH wrote this ridiculously long, weird review (memoir) about it:

We didn't do any excursions, but walked both Halifax and St. John.  Lots of pictures and details of our walks about both towns buried somewhere in all those pages, if you're interested.☺️  But, it might be too old to be of use.

• Like 1

Saint John has a new attraction right at the cruise terminal: a container village with shops, eateries, artists, occasional live music, etc.  Very easy walking, and if so inclined, one can take stairs up to the top of one of the containers for more sunshine and a view of the area.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 7:27 PM, ShakyBeef said:

I probably read this back in 2011 but being old -its a new read---LOL    i am only on post #40 so i am spot checking this so i can come back to it 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 6:30 PM, BCahill315 said:

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions for the best walk from the cruise port to anything worth seeing in St John's, NB and Halifax, NS.

I am confused. Are you going to St. John's, which is in Newfoundland, or to Saint John, which is in New Brunswick? Two very different places, and you certainly don't want to arrange for excursions in one community when your vessel will be visiting a different community!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GTJ said:

I am confused. Are you going to St. John's, which is in Newfoundland, or to Saint John, which is in New Brunswick? Two very different places, and you certainly don't want to arrange for excursions in one community when your vessel will be visiting a different community!

I'm not OP, but I'm pretty sure it's Saint John, New Brunswick, based on ship itineraries.  It's an easy typo/mistake to make.

13 hours ago, GTJ said:

The poster wrote "NB" after "St. John's" so I think it's rather obvious that they meant Saint John, New Brunswick. 

It's a rather common error to call the city in New Brunswick St. John's instead of Saint John.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The poster wrote "NB" after "St. John's" so I think it's rather obvious that they meant Saint John, New Brunswick.

It could go either way. On the one hand, there was a purposeful inclusion of an apostrophe, and the abbreviation of Saint as "St." On the other hand, there is the use of the provincial abbreviation NB. Of course, it could be that the wrong abbreviation was used, as NL differs from NB by only a single letter. There are cruises that visit both Halifax and St. John's, as well as cruises that visit both Halifax and Saint John, and while there are more of the latter than the former, you cannot eliminate either as being possibilities. It may well be that some people will confuse St. John's and Saint John, but that's all the more reason to clarify. Imagine someone going on a cruise, anticipating a visit to one port, making all the arrangements for tours or sightseeing there, and then getting surprised when the vessel arrives in the other port. Best to eliminate the confusion and clarify now, not later!

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2023 at 6:01 AM, njhorseman said:

It's a rather common error to call the city in New Brunswick St. John's instead of Saint John.

No it's not, not if you take the time to actually read your cruise itinerary. It's also insulting to the City,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:
7 hours ago, declansdad said:

I've heard many people say St. John's and I've seen many write St. John's instead of the correct Saint John, so it appears to be a rather common error,

I blame Canada. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, wcook said:

I blame Canada.

True, if the vote for confederation in 1948 had failed, then St. John's might have remained in a separate dominion distinct from Canada. Or should we instead just blame the Newfies? 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Nova Scotia and mix St. John's and Saint John often in writing. It's like the folks who want to go to Sydney Australia and end up in Sydney, Cape Breton Nova Scotia. Happens every few years. Non-Cruisers of course

In Halifax you will find the Boardwalk a great day for your situation. We are a very accessible city if you stay to the Boardwalk. A little strenuous to walk up to the Citadel but you could taxi and then do the Fort and perhaps walk back.  I don't generally guide walks but do private tours for two or three at most. You can much better customize a day this way.

• Like 1