Australian Airlines

5 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Which all boils down to that multiple airlines are not sustainable in both markets.

I always check Qantas or Virgin when looking at domestic flights in Australia. Jetstar too risky at times. And I never flew Tiger Air.

NZ - well there only once choice domestically. NZ government has rescued Air NZ a couple times. I believe they own 53% airline now?? This is not uncommon as other governments around the world tend to prop up their major carrier too. 

Jetstar fly in NZ too but only the most profitable routes - between Auckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, Wellington, Queenstown.  Air NZ are half government owned, but the government also leans on them to serve the smaller centres.  We couldn't manage without a national airline - we are too isolated.

Edited by onlyslightlymad

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Jetstar fly in NZ too but only the most profitable routes - between Auckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, Wellington, Queenstown.  Air NZ are half government owned, but the government also leans on them to serve the smaller centres.  We couldn't manage without a national airline - we are too isolated.

Is Qantas still Australia's national airline?  I have been a Qantas ff for many years.  The offers I have received from Qantas lately have been for overseas holidays.  Where are the Australian travel specials?

• Like 1

When measuring they include the wheels and handles.  Make you put your luggage in a test frame so no sneaking an inch or two.  All airlines very strict.

I've had more cancellations with virgin than Jetstar but it's always a gamble.   Just allow plenty of time if you have a timetable that's not flexible.  If you are flying anywhere to join a cruise I would be flying in absolute min of 2 days prior preferably 3 prior to sailing.

On 1/15/2023 at 7:11 AM, birdylady said:

Question about Qantas luggage allowance if anyone knows.  We will be flying home  to the US from Sydney on Qantas with a premium economy ticket.  The way they have it written is you can have 1 carryon (up to 22 inches) and a personal item (like purse or laptop) or 2 carry ons up to 19 each.  Does anyone know strict Qantas is is measuring everyone’s luggage?    I’m asking as hubby normally travels with a 22 roll on and his laptop backpack (which he always puts sea and fits fine.).  We don’t want to have to buy a smaller roll on.  But we also don’t want to get to the plane and have his luggage get required check in.

thanx for anyone that can give us an idea

Erika

I know this isn't Qantas but we just flew to Copenhagen (in economy) and back with SQ. We to'd and fro'd over carry on or checked but like you were concerned our bags would be "confiscated" at the gate. We needn't have worried. We couldn't believe the size and weight of bags that passengers were putting in the overhead lockers. Some were so heavy the FAs had to help pax stow their bags. The flights were full and it was complete chaos as pax tried to squeeze their obviously oversized bags into the overhead lockers. No enforcement of the rules that I could see. In fact, had they attempted to enforce the carry on limits at the gate it would have been bedlam as there were so many with oversized luggage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galesa said:

I know this isn't Qantas but we just flew to Copenhagen (in economy) and back with SQ. We to'd and fro'd over carry on or checked but like you were concerned our bags would be "confiscated" at the gate. We needn't have worried. We couldn't believe the size and weight of bags that passengers were putting in the overhead lockers. Some were so heavy the FAs had to help pax stow their bags. The flights were full and it was complete chaos as pax tried to squeeze their obviously oversized bags into the overhead lockers. No enforcement of the rules that I could see. In fact, had they attempted to enforce the carry on limits at the gate it would have been bedlam as there were so many with oversized luggage.

Our domestic flight home to Melbourne from Cairns was similar in August. We both had smallish backpacks and I had a small handbag. The flight was full and the number of people with suitcases as hand luggage was ridiculous. As we boarded the aircraft, the FA told us that passengers with back packs could not put them in the overhead lockers, we had to put them under our feet. My husband is 6ft 4'' and has long legs. This was the most uncomfortable flight we have ever had. If there is not enough room in the overhead lockers the airlines need to look at how they police how much luggage passengers are bringing onboard. 

Carry on luggage should be simply that. Carry on. Not wheel my suitcase on and put it in the locker. If they put stop to that because I swear those suitcases sizes get bigger and bigger then there would be more room in overhead locker.

Also airlines need to weigh them as well as be more prudent about checking size because half the time they don't comply from what I've seen. But everything is hands off do it yourself check your own luggage in, yourself that there is hardly any ground staff monitoring this. 

Airline crew only have a limited time to get people on board seated to make their takeoff slot.

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tara Jane said:

When measuring they include the wheels and handles.  Make you put your luggage in a test frame so no sneaking an inch or two.  All airlines very strict.

I've had more cancellations with virgin than Jetstar but it's always a gamble.   Just allow plenty of time if you have a timetable that's not flexible.  If you are flying anywhere to join a cruise I would be flying in absolute min of 2 days prior preferably 3 prior to sailing.

I was wondering that, so thank you.  Been surfing the web and when you put in 19 inches seems everything either comes back 20/20.5 including wheels.  Then that’s NOT 19. Appreciate the feedback.

oh and to clarify, hubby’s backpack is the Swiss gear one Sams club sells. (18x12.5x8.75). Has always fit under the seat.

thanx again 

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Our domestic flight home to Melbourne from Cairns was similar in August. We both had smallish backpacks and I had a small handbag. The flight was full and the number of people with suitcases as hand luggage was ridiculous. As we boarded the aircraft, the FA told us that passengers with back packs could not put them in the overhead lockers, we had to put them under our feet. My husband is 6ft 4'' and has long legs. This was the most uncomfortable flight we have ever had. If there is not enough room in the overhead lockers the airlines need to look at how they police how much luggage passengers are bringing onboard. 

My flight from Melbourne to Sydney in November was very similar.  Same type of announcement,  but as I had one of those equipment boxes at my feet I left my soft bag up in the o/head locker.

It's a shame that those who do the right thing by limiting their 'stuff' are being punished 🙁

• Like 3