Messina Sicily

villages cruiser

Just as something to consider -- Messina is also a good port for visiting Taormina. You'd need to take a ship tour or arrange transportation (public transportation is available but may not be convenient depending on your time in port).  Taormina is a charming small resort town with Greek/Roman origins and great views from its perch on the mountain.

• Like 1

Agree (as always) with cruisemom42.

Messina brings back a lot of fond memories.  We docked literally across the street from town...I remember having breakfast and saying "Wow! the buildings are right next to the ship."

I wanted to visit Taormina first thing in the morning...but my DW heard about a bell tower show at noon and she did not want to miss it. We leisurely walked around town and waited till noon for the show.  As usual, my beautiful wife was correct again...it was a show you didn't want to miss. 

"Prepare yourself for an engrossing twelve minutes amongst a throng of people just like yourself who have come to see the famous mechanical and astronomical clock in the church’s bell tower. This clock, designed by Ungerer of Strasbourg, France, is the largest and most complex clock of its kind in the world."

After the bell tower show, walked about 10 minutes to the train station and it took about an hour to get to Taormina.  Taormina is situated up on a hill...so you can take the bus, a taxi, or walk. (It's not a big place...only 2 taxis)   Outside the train station, we had a group of passengers who patiently waited for the local bus.  When the bus finally came, everyone rushed in...and we were the last ones to board.  Unfortunately, the bus driver waved us off...something in Italian meaning "the bus is full, you need to get off".

We were left standing there by ourselves.  It was quiet, all we can hear were birds then...we see an older Sicilian lady yelling and waving at us to come over around the corner of the train station.  We didn't understand a word she was yelling but we followed her.  Around the corner was a small orange shuttle bus that took local residents up to Taormina. This wonderful lady was our angel.

We spent the entire afternoon just walking around this truly magnificent town...simply breathtaking.

It was getting late and I was well aware of the train schedule going back to Messina.  We walked outside the ancient walls and tried in vain to find the "orange shuttle bus" to take us back down to the train station. It was getting late, so we asked for help...it was too late to walk down.  Fortunately, we found another bus that took us down the train station.  We got on the very last train that will take us back in time to make the ship.  Note: Trains in Italy are notorious for being late.

When we finally made it back to the Messina train station...we decided to run.  Another couple from the ship saw us and also started running.  They were just about to remove the gangway...and we made it onto the ship...Whew!...fond memories.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

In 2011 we  booked with Mario Astone for six of us.  We did a tour of Taormina and Castelmola (about 1800 feet above sea level and about 3 miles north of Taormina). It was 45 euros per person plus tip. Don't know if they are still in business.  But it was a really good tour.  He has has a brother that does the same tour. 

We loved Messina.  We took the tram/bus to Sacrario di Cristo Re then walked down to the ship visiting all the sites on the way.  Lovely views and we had wonderful cannoli and fragolia granita at Reqube Bar & Restaurant at the Sacrario.  It took 45 minutes to get to the highest point but, if we were to do it again, I'd just opt for a taxi direct.