World Cruise 2023 - Occasionally Live from the Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

Airlie Beach, Australia

It seems darker than usual in the cabin when I awake.  Hmm, no need to get out of bed, let’s check the live video feed from the bridge cam on our TV. 

Oh boy. 

When I pull open the blackout curtains to the balcony a dismal dark rainy foggy day greets me. (Was that enough adjectives to make the point?)

Airlie Beach is situated in Australia’s Whitsunday region of Queensland.  Ironically, according to the port guide we received last evening, “Here Comes the Sun.  Queensland is also known as the Sunshine State, a perfect name since it enjoys 300 days of sunshine every year.”

Just our luck to be visiting on one of the 65 crummy days.  😞

This is a tender port so getting into town is a commitment.

We decide to exercise, have a leisurely breakfast and keep an eye on the weather.

Twice there seemed to be breaks of sunlight peeking through.  So, we made our way to the tenders (no lines and no waiting!).  Each time returning soaked pax tell us “Don’t do it!”

And despite the occasional brightening of the skies the rain never stopped.  Oh well.

Since this is not a sea day, many of the usual activities that keep us busy are not scheduled.

Plan B.  We get cozy and eat turkey sandwiches in bed while watching “Death on the Nile” a 2022 adaptation of the Agatha Christie novel.  The movie is over two hours long, so it is by far the longest our TV has ever been on in the room!

Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow for our snorkeling excursion to the Great Barrier Reef.

1.thumb.JPG.abab06e04487a692ca4e29c82ffbdaaa.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.87f9e22d3eb60896fdba1cc5fcfaed1c.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.bd679af56fe06d199674d50a27476930.JPG

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 10:14 AM, cruzsnooze said:

Hope it's not a bother to ask again if there is a thermal suite on the Island Princess with the hot tile beds. 

Sorry it took so long.  I went over to the Lotus Spa and confirmed that our ship has  the thermal suite and four hot tile beds.  🙂

• Like 4

On 2/22/2023 at 11:22 PM, gourmetnotgourmand said:

Sorry to be so forward but wonder if you kindly could try to contact D727.  Either the current occupant or their cabin attendant.  We are due to cruise on the Island Princess 33 nights in May.  Just curious if they like the cabin.

Thanks in advance.

Ursula

Oh, sorry Ursula.  That is a little outside of my comfort zone.  You might want to post on our World Cruise Roll Call to see if you can get more info.

• Like 11

Cairns, Australia

Our visit to Cairns (pronounced “cans”) starts later than any other port so far.  Our scheduled arrival at the pier is 10 am.

Research from months ago indicated all private excursions left much earlier, closer to 8 am.

So, we reluctantly booked the ship excursion – and in retrospect we are certainly glad that we did.  This awesome day, or at least the second half of it, was truly one of the highlights of our years of traveling.

Weather wise the day was much brighter than yesterday and you could even see the shore!  Still cloudy though …

Our sister ship the Coral Princess has beat us to the port.

After breakfast we met with our group in the MDR at 10 am and waited for the all clear to disembark.  We walked as a group about 10-15 minutes down the pier to our waiting catamaran.

I venture to say there were less than 100 of us and ship staff told us that was half capacity so plenty of room for everyone to get a seat.  There were two air conditioned indoor decks with cushioned seating (some with tables) and a large outdoor deck with attached metal chairs. 

After a mandatory safety briefing we waited in line to get our wet suits to guard against jelly fish stings, our masks and snorkels and flippers, and life preservers or noodles if desired.  There was equipment for certified scuba divers as well as “first timers” neophytes who were interested.  I was, but the medical form we had to fill out showed I was taking cholesterol medication (who over 60 isn’t) so they would not allow it.  Well, something to try closer to home in Florida when we return.

The Great Barrier Reef is over 1500 miles long and composed of nearly 3000 reefs.  Our excursion would be going to Hastings Reef, about 60 km from shore (over 35 miles).  It took more than 90 minutes and the weather got worse the further we traveled.  When we finally anchored it was pouring out and the ship was bopping around. 

Well, we are here to get wet, so let’s get to it.  Because of the rocking, you had to push off from the dive platform so you didn’t crash back up against the ship.  There were safe areas for snorkeling we were instructed to stay within due to the conditions.

Honestly the first time we went out, it was disappointing.  The water was murky limiting visibility and the sea bed was a distance below us.  If you went out further the swells bounced you up and down. 

The captain had announced earlier he expected weather conditions to improve over the course of the day, so we took a break. 

Great timing – lunch is being served.  There was a buffet of cold salads, jumbo prawns, hot foods like chicken and curry and rice, bread and rolls, etc.  Coffee, tea and water were available and a snack bar sold beer and wine, ice cream and other snacks.

After lunch the water was much calmer and the skies were brighter.  No rain.  We went on a free guided snorkeling tour with four other passengers.  The tour was led by a Master Reef Guide and a marine biologist.  They took us much much further away from the ship than our earlier forays. 

What a world of difference.  Now we saw hundreds of beautiful colored fish, corals, sea anemones, starfish and other sea life.  This is why we booked this excursion!  The reef guide would dive to the bottom to point out specific interesting things and explained them at the surface.  We even got to pet a sea cucumber, ha-ha.  At some points we were so close to the bottom I was nervous about hitting something and causing damage with my flippers.  So beautiful.  The tour lasted about 20 – 30 minutes.

We spent the next couple of hours on our own exploring this new world. It was a fascinating experience like swimming in a salt water aquarium.  Our catamaran spent about five hours at the reef and we truly enjoyed the second half.

The staff on the catamaran was mostly young people (in their twenties?) and they were so kind and cheerful and helpful.  Everyone we interacted with wanted to make sure we were happy and felt safe and comfortable.  Our fellow passengers also stepped up to assist those getting on/off  the dive platform and to tend to those who were stricken with the mal de mer or who decided snorkeling was just not for them.

So Princess, thank you for organizing an excellent tour.  Perhaps I need to be more open minded in my future excursion bookings!

Disclaimer:  My GoPro is out of action.  So the GBR photos are public domain (no copyright) but give you some idea of the beauty of the reef.

1.thumb.JPG.519c0c9e6964bfc4fc80c12a5906ad24.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.5772bf7b0284d2f69c62a224b8f1fc6f.JPG

3.thumb.jpg.3c029399226909d4e9df62718ef92eb7.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.58344b92e9a000f25e796e1a89cb33bd.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.9acb6aece6a5134629d460ac91800c78.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

My GoPro is out of action.  So the GBR photos are public domain (no copyright) but give you some idea of the beauty of the reef.

4.thumb.jpg.58344b92e9a000f25e796e1a89cb33bd.jpg

Was what you saw as spectacular as what the public domain photos show?

On 1/22/2023 at 8:18 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Masking info

During the first segment (Fort Lauderdale to LA) there were no masking requirements.  Mask usage was small, perhaps 5-10 percent of pax.  We masked sometimes when in crowded indoor events.  As mentioned earlier we never take the elevator.

However, a few days ago we were all advised (including newly embarking passengers) that there would be mandatory masking for the first three days of this voyage segment.  Then each of us would take a mandatory COVID test and the captain and medical staff would decide the next steps.

During the mandatory masking phase compliance was near 100%.  It was rare to see someone without a mask.

Yesterday morning our cabin steward provided us with a COVID test; instructions were provided the night before.  We all had to take the test, provide a photo to our steward with the results, our names, cabin number and time and date of test.  We thought it was pretty straightforward.

But, I was surprised at the number of people our kind and patient cabin steward had to hand-hold during the testing phase.  After two+ years they had never done a COVID test before?

Anyway, at the show last night, Cruise Director Cole announced that effective today masking is at your own discretion and no longer mandatory.  He insinuated the COVID counts were low, but of course we have no actual knowledge of numbers. 

To this day, I have never had a Covid test.  I have never had Covid (that I am aware of).  I have never had the Covid injection.  I have an amazing immune system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2023 at 1:16 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Princess Harmony Choir

Wow!

Passengers were entertained this afternoon with a wonderful performance by the Princess Harmony Choir under the direction of David Crathorne.

The professionally dressed members (white tops and dark trousers) walked down the aisle of the Princess Theater and assembled on stage – all 138 of them!  In fact this choir was so large that the performance could not be held in the Piazza.

We were entertained for 45 minutes with songs from musicals such as South Pacific, Phantom of the Opera and The Sound of Music.  Other pieces included “The Rose” and “Somewhere Out There”.  Even Elvis was represented!

The choir had lovely harmonies and after a standing ovation from the audience even returned for a final song.

We participated in the Princess Pop Choir a few years ago on a TA under the direction of CD Angela and that was fun.

But this was on another level entirely.

Congratulations to the Princess Harmony Choir and thank you for a wonderful show!

1.thumb.jpg.f95cc9c3543aa137697daeffbc180fa4.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.5147dc473844a70f08e58b8159d28209.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.eafcaa5541665412411c639598a25ed7.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.85912e390c4ef9e3e37b483a368d83c8.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.62b0c740c82ae16b95eaaee2992fb31b.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.2f4c4cd0a6f54987f65f6d9be486cf0e.jpg

Are they passengers or crew members?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TenneSea said:

To this day, I have never had a Covid test.  I have never had Covid (that I am aware of).  I have never had the Covid injection.  I have an amazing immune system.

Well there are certain cruises that you will not be able to take without a vax or a test. Sailing in 2 weeks stopping in Colombia and unvaccinated passengers will need a medically observed test or cannot board

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 2/23/2023 at 12:22 AM, gourmetnotgourmand said:

Hi,

if you kindly could try to contact D727.  Either the current occupant or their cabin attendant.  We are due to cruise on the Island Princess 33 nights in May.  Just curious if they like the cabin.

Thanks in advance.

Ursula

Why not call the occupants shore to ship and talk to them directly?  Keep in mind the ship's time.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Well there are certain cruises that you will not be able to take without a vax or a test. Sailing in 2 weeks stopping in Colombia and unvaccinated passengers will need a medically observed test or cannot board

Yes.  I am aware of that.  I've been in Colombia several times.

Edited by TenneSea
  • Thanks 1

I am loving this thread. . . We are on the 2024 WC out of Auckland on Coral Princess.  Thank you.

I know you have opted to dine alone each night—is there a shared table option for folks who want to eat together? Can you just get in line for dinner and ask to sit at a shared table?  I think I will miss the fixed-table, same people option.  Some of our best friends have come from long cruises with the same dinner partners.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, muggo11 said:

I am loving this thread. . . We are on the 2024 WC out of Auckland on Coral Princess.  Thank you.

I know you have opted to dine alone each night—is there a shared table option for folks who want to eat together? Can you just get in line for dinner and ask to sit at a shared table?  I think I will miss the fixed-table, same people option.  Some of our best friends have come from long cruises with the same dinner partners.  

Yes, you can ask to share a table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good evening from Florida... actually we are currently about 60 miles south of the OP's home....

since the OP started this report I have found myself very much  looking forward each and every day  for daily for updates and comments.....its one of the best live trip reports ever!...Next November we will be island princess stopping in  Rome ,Israel and a transatlantic cruise back to Florida.

So ....as is my current routine.....this evening, I secured a lite beer from Miller and started my search and perusal of this thread...just a few of the above responses confused me.... so I am only consuming one beer tonight...

to the OP......really outstanding report ! thank you !

• Like 4

On 2/21/2023 at 12:17 AM, We_like_to_cruise said:

We get alerts from our credit card for international purchases.  The bus ride charge was $0.69!  (That can’t be right, can it??)

Their transit is incredibly cheap. We arrived 10 days prior to the Island and spent 3 days in Sydney. We took a r/t ferry to Manly and the train(s) r/t to the Blue Mountains (2+ hrs each way) and the local bus around the Blue Mountains. After all of that for 3 days; we were charged $11.72USD for all of the transportation. Wow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2023 at 3:17 AM, caribill said:

Was what you saw as spectacular as what the public domain photos show?

Honestly the pictures do not do it justice.  Although we did not see any turtles, you can see better images at this link:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=Great+Barrierr+Reef+underwater+pictures&iax=images&ia=images

• Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 10:42 AM, memoak said:

There were a couple of our ports that required proof of vaccination or you could not get off the ship.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, phabric said:

I am presently on the Caribbean Princess, there are only 2 electrical outlets beside the desk in the balcony.

How many outlets are there in a balcony?

We also have only two outlets by the desk.  However, if you reach and stretch we can access two more behind the television.  Used an adapter to add a US outlet to the outlet behind my bed.  All of our outlets have small extension cords attached (no surge protectors) and it is working out.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, muggo11 said:

We have "tablemates" at adjacent tables who are always dining at the same time.  So, we interact with each other, although not technically sitting together.

You can also get a reserved table/time for your own group or opt to walk up and sit at any open shared table with new people each night.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, tml1230 said:

Good evening from Florida... actually we are currently about 60 miles south of the OP's home....

since the OP started this report I have found myself very much  looking forward each and every day  for daily for updates and comments.....its one of the best live trip reports ever!...Next November we will be island princess stopping in  Rome ,Israel and a transatlantic cruise back to Florida.

So ....as is my current routine.....this evening, I secured a lite beer from Miller and started my search and perusal of this thread...just a few of the above responses confused me.... so I am only consuming one beer tonight...

to the OP......really outstanding report ! thank you !

Thank you for your kind words!  I try to post as often as I can when the circumstances allow.  It is a bit time consuming with going through pictures, editing them for size, writing up reports and posting.  Although the great majority of the time the internet works fine (better than I expected), sometimes I submit an entire post to CC but it never makes it.  Not sure of the issue, but then I need to start over, ugh.

Anyway it has been fun, so thanks again.

• Thanks 3