What to wear/pack for cool weather in hot climate?

cruisegal415

play the noise down theSo, I’m from south Florida where anything under 80 degrees is considered “cool” and anything under 70 is “cold.”  Our cruise is leaving this Saturday. It’s supposed to be a high of 60 in Miami. If we were here, running errands or whatnot, you’d see people wearing fashion or warm boots, definitely bundled up, warm long pants, etc. 

I am aware that when tourists come, you can see them on the beach or even in the ocean at those temps, but for us natives, we are cold. 

So, for embarkation day I can’t wear the cute sleeveless top and shorts I originally planned but what I would usually wear for that temperature would look stupid on a cruise ship? 

I’ve never taken a Caribbean cruise in the winter so do people dress differently (warmer)? Even in our Cancun stop it’s only supposed to be 80, which is lovely but not hot. 

If sailing out of a Florida port, knowing that I might have to stand out in the sun before boarding, and then feel chilly once the ship is moving out, I usually wear long pants (frequently linen), a jersey (with or without sleeves), and a jacket about the weight of a jeans jacket.  I have also worn a wool sweater with a blazer for boarding there.

• Like 1

Even if you have to wear something heavier due to it being cool, lighter or brighter colors help give clothes a "vacation" feel. Think bright colored jeans instead of dark denim, or maybe a white denim jacket. 

Clothing manufacturers used to sell "resort" wear at this time of year that was a bit heavier than summer but often looked like a cruise:  lightweight cotton striped sweaters, heavier-weight tees, even a cute terry hoodie or similar...

• Like 2

A further thought, based on our four cruises during the past year.  Ships that have installed new ventilation systems feel chilly to me in all the public rooms.  (We do not have AC at home, so I really notice it.)  Now I pack almost all long-sleeve garments for dinners and evenings onboard.  I've seen other women and girls wearing hoodies over their nice dresses, due to the chill.  I don't want to have to do that.

No matter where we go, I have a good-looking windbreaker that can go over anything.  I often wear it in warm climates while walking the decks in the mornings if it's windy.  It much easier to get warm if you're cold than trying to cool down when you're too hot (such as queueing in a cruise terminal) so the windbreaker works very well.

Thanks all! It’s 45 this am down here in sunny South Florida with a high (a HIGH!) of 60. I’m gonna wear a long sleeve top and a pair of Sketcher pants and a couple of layers on top. Tomorrow for Key West, I’m just gonna wear my winter clothes. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP, you mentioned never sailing to the Caribbean in the winter? That is really the only time I sail there🙂.....I don't want to be in the Caribbean in the middle of summer......waaaayyyy too hot for me.

I just returned home from a Caribbean cruise (earlier this month). It was warm every day, except when we arrived back in Ft. Lauderdale LOL.............it was on the cooler side at that point. 

As for clothing, I was in a bathing suit and cover up at least 95% of the time during the day.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 8:20 PM, Lois R said:

To the OP, you mentioned never sailing to the Caribbean in the winter? That is really the only time I sail there🙂.....I don't want to be in the Caribbean in the middle of summer......waaaayyyy too hot for me.

I just returned home from a Caribbean cruise (earlier this month). It was warm every day, except when we arrived back in Ft. Lauderdale LOL.............it was on the cooler side at that point. 

As for clothing, I was in a bathing suit and cover up at least 95% of the time during the day.

The weather here in south Florida is so nice, we hate to leave home in the winter.  Summer is hot here but when we cruise to a beach area, it is lovely to sit on the beach and enjoy the ocean breezes. Same for sea days we sit in a shady spot on the ship and enjoy the sea breeze.