Is an 11:25 flight out of Vancouver post cruise pushing it?

sprockie

If you let HAL arrange your flights, they will always see to that you get to the airport in plenty of time. I don't mind spending the extra money for the security of making my flight on time. Furthermore, I found Vancouver airport so ridiculous, I vowed I would never use it again. 

You want 3 hours at the airport for international flights, which usually gives you enough time in the busiest conditions (even if most of the time it's too much time).

I'd plan for 1 - 1 ½ hours of transit time. The train takes about 30 minutes +/- 20% depending on how busy it is, and it takes 20 minutes to get your luggage downstairs, buy tickets, and on the correct platform if it's your first time.  Take extra care to take the Canada line and the airport train (there are 2 Canada line routes). An Uber or Taxi takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 1+ hours, as they get pretty busy when the ships unload.

Assuming you get off the ship by 8, you're cutting it pretty close unless you nail the transit situation. If you get straight to the platform and hit the right train it could work, but if it were me I'd plan flights for early afternoon.

Edited by robotpony

1 hour ago, sprockie said:

Alaska on Koningsdam in May.  I am not familiar with Vancouver airport or port.  Would an 11:25 flight be too early the morning we return to port?

Should be okay for a domestic flight.

Off the ship by 8.30. Onboard the Canada Line train to the airport by 9.00. Arrival YVR about 9.40. At  security screening by 10.00, Assuming that you have all the formalities sorted out.

The kiosks at the check-in area will issue both boarding passes and luggage tags. No need to line up for an airline agent.

Edited by HappyInVan

2 hours ago, Ottawa traveller said:

Unless you have a Nexus card or are travelling business class and get priority security, you would need extra time for security clearance.

Thanks! That line can be pretty horrendous based on our experience!

14 minutes ago, RD64 said:

I would like to think yes, but given the chaos at YVR and YYZ lately I would say who knows. Better to spend the day in Vancouver and fly back to YYZ (I am assuming) the next day if at all possible.

We have flown (not international) using YVR several times this year to YUL.  Never an issue but perhaps we’ve been lucky.  

6 hours ago, canadianbear said:

We have flown (not international) using YVR several times this year to YUL.  Never an issue but perhaps we’ve been lucky.  

Wow... I had absolutely zero idea this existed! Thank you!

Is it as effective as it sounds? What if you’re in the huge security line that (sometimes) queues almost to the food court. Is it obvious there is an express line?

7 hours ago, shadesofblonde said:

Is it as effective as it sounds? What if you’re in the huge security line that (sometimes) queues almost to the food court. Is it obvious there is an express line?

You go to the front of the line & show your “reservation time”.  

8 hours ago, shadesofblonde said:

There is a separate door for priority-premium pax next to the usual door. Yes, it can be much quicker.

You can monitor the wait times for several days before your flight, and plan accordingly...

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/airport/vancouver-international-airport

Edited by HappyInVan

I'd be fine with a Domestic 11:25am flight, with the proviso that you are able to Self-Disembark @sprockie - this way you have flexibility, as if you can drag your bags to the curb from the ship you can definitely handle getting them to transit (it's about 300metres walk from the pier to Waterfront). You don't even have to waste time at the ticket machines unless you want to get a discounted Senior or Kids Concession fare - any chip-enabled Visa/MC you can just tap the card on the faregates and you'll be billed the right amount for the day and time you're traveling, and that's the exact same price as a normal adult fare, so as long as you have 1 credit card per person traveling you're good to go.

If the cab queue is <10mins though, that will probably be quicker than SkyTrain as it's door-to-door and commuter traffic flow is the opposite direction, but SkyTrain does have the benefit of no traffic and even their own bridge to Sea Island so they are extremely consistent. The only real variance is whether a train just left, is about to leave, or somewhere in-between and even that is only a 6-7min difference with typical morning train frequency. With completely-automated trains the travel time is only impacted by passengers holding doors open - anyone who tries that for more than a few seconds finds out even Canadian commuters get salty fast! I don't think I've ever had my travel time vary more than a minute.

Now that NEXUS interviews are happening again, it's also not a bad time to apply for that if you don't already have it - even if you never drive over the border and use the magical NEXUS-only bridge to avoid insane Niagara long weekend delays, $10 a year for expedited security lines is mad value all by itself... especially if you use Pearson!

15 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

There is a separate door for priority-premium pax next to the usual door. Yes, it can be much quicker.

You can monitor the wait times for several days before your flight, and plan accordingly...

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/airport/vancouver-international-airport

More good info, thank you!

Will definitely check this out for my next YVR departure