Quick question about self disembarking

Jazzytelly

When you roll off your own suitcases do you go the same way to get off the ship as those going to collect their suitcases, i.e. backwards and forwards many times down the ramp and do you then have to walk through the hanger where all the suitcases are lined up?  Can you pick a trolley up to then take your suitcases across the car park to pick up your car? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jazzytelly said:

When you roll off your own suitcases do you go the same way to get off the ship as those going to collect their suitcases, i.e. backwards and forwards many times down the ramp and do you then have to walk through the hanger where all the suitcases are lined up?  Can you pick a trolley up to then take your suitcases across the car park to pick up your car? 

Not done self disembark but I would imagine you go the same way, however since you self disembark before the rest of the passengers, it will be quieter and much easier.

• Like 2

Yes you usually do go down the same way. (The very, very odd times they take you straight across to the baggage hall from a lower deck but that doesn’t happen as often now).

Yes you will usually be able to get a trolley on the way through the hall.

• Like 1

Thanks I’m only 4 ft 11 so good to know we should get a trolley to get to car park as depending where CPS park our car it could be the far side of the car park. At least with these new wheeled suitcases now that spin all ways they are a lot easier to pull. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jazzytelly said:

Yes.

You have to move your cases yourself until you reach the baggage reclaim hall.

There are lots of trolleys at the entrance to the baggage reclaim hall and porters too who will push the trolley for you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlanCruise said:

What you will find however is that all the passengers disembarking with their own suitcases overwhelm the lifts on the ship whilst getting down to the gangpank.  So be ready to carry your suitcase down the stairs on the ship!

We find that going down at around 7am we can usually get a lift without too much problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We find that going down at around 7am we can usually get a lift without too much problem.

I would concur with this.  We opted for taking ourselves off Britannia in September, were allocated 07:45 as our time.  Woke at 06:30, as soon as we saw the first person getting off, we were out, no issue with lifts at all and waved through with no problem.  It is a long walk and pretty much on your own with all your luggage.  But outweighed by the fact I was approaching Newbury on the A34 at 07:45...

On 1/19/2023 at 3:21 PM, Josy1953 said:

Yes us too. Same time off Iona in November. Easy peasy. We were actually surprised at how easy. We had a long journey ahead of us and couldn't bear the thought of hanging round waiting to disembark. 

• Like 2

I must admit I have not done self disembark but at  just after 8am on my last day I was sat in Vistas waiting for the ordinary get off and go to start and the queue for self disembark was enormous.  It caused quite a lot of activity from the crew to get it going faster.