Food and dining on P&O ships

Tablelamp

On 3/24/2023 at 11:28 AM, majortom10 said:

I perhaps wonder that Olive Grove is being operated differently on Arvia than it is on Iona. On Iona open all day from just before lunch until evening with same menu day/night for the whole 14 days.

Yes its only open for dinner not for lunch unfortunatly.

Hi we are cruising on the Iona in June for a week. So it sounds like we can book 2 weeks in advance the Sindu, Epicurean and Limelight in advance via our booking. For the Limelight do we know who is performing before we book it ? 
Also we have a celebration night on the 2nd night can anyone advise where to eat on this occasion please , I keep reading about captain table but no idea how this would be booked, does this have to be done in advance also ?
Thank you

12 hours ago, Durie1989 said:

Hi we are cruising on the Iona in June for a week. So it sounds like we can book 2 weeks in advance the Sindu, Epicurean and Limelight in advance via our booking. For the Limelight do we know who is performing before we book it ? 
Also we have a celebration night on the 2nd night can anyone advise where to eat on this occasion please , I keep reading about captain table but no idea how this would be booked, does this have to be done in advance also ?
Thank you

Yes you do know who is appearing in Limelight Club 14 days before you cruise. There is no Captains Table it is Chefs Table and you can book this in advance some day it is good others not so. Personally prefer. Formal nights in MDR and not a part of buffet restaurant.

• Like 1

We booked the Limelight club twice, Sindhu and the Chefs table on our recent two week cruise on Iona two weeks before we sailed, knowing who was appearing each week. We really enjoyed them all, including the Chefs Table. It didn’t feel like part of the Horizon buffet as we were screened off. It was set out like a fine dining restaurant and the menu and the service were both very good. We will book again when we go on Iona in July.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Durie1989 said:

Thanks you.

So you can book the chefs table 2 weeks before you cruise and is this part of the included services or is this extra cost ?

Yes you can book it two weeks ahead at no extra charge. It makes a lovely change from the MDRs.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Durie1989 said:

Bit of a random question but how big are the tea/coffee cups in your cabin ?
We like a mug of tea in the morning so is it best to bring our own cups ?

They are mugs, if you checkout any YouTube video of a P&O cabin, you should see them on the dresser/desk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Durie1989 said:

Bit of a random question but how big are the tea/coffee cups in your cabin ?
We like a mug of tea in the morning so is it best to bring our own cups ?

Quite big. Mugs. If the cup isn't big enough for you, making another cup works ok.

• Like 1

Hi All

We are off on Iona on Saturday. We have always used the buffet for breakfast but guessing it's gonna be busy. I understand you can go else where for breakfast. Can anyone advise which restaurants they are and what they would offer.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Oriental is fixed seating. Meridian and Penninsular are freedom

Thank you. Do you have to reserve the freedom restaurants on your phone like on Arvia or is it a physical queuing system rather than virtual?

I used to love the Quays for breakfast. Full english followed by pancakes with chocolate and strawberry. If the weather is nice you can eat outside there as well.

Bit calmer than the buffet. But the buffet was great for breakfast as well to be fair. 

(Ps that was on Arvia but I assume it's the same on Iona)

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

I thought breakfast in the main dining rooms was disappointing owing to the very limited menu. Surprisingly, I much preferred the buffet. Perhaps it depends what time you go for breakfast (around 9.15am for me) but it never seemed overly busy and there was no problem finding a table.

• Like 2

I use the buffet on iona for breakfast. Great if you arrive for 6.30 when the serveries open. You can already have your table selected and mug of tea ready. Usually less than half a dozen passengers there at opening

We do usually go to the Buffett but we have found on the Britannia that on Sea days it can be som busy your can't find a table, and with Iona being even bigger we want a backup alternative . On port days we are usually up early watching the ship dock and then hit breakfast about 6:30 and off the ship asap to explore.

10 hours ago, Bourdieu said:

I thought breakfast in the main dining rooms was disappointing owing to the very limited menu. Surprisingly, I much preferred the buffet. Perhaps it depends what time you go for breakfast (around 9.15am for me) but it never seemed overly busy and there was no problem finding a table.

I’ve never found the MDRs a limited menu for breakfast. You can mix and match any of the items on the list plus can also ask for an omelette which I notice isn’t listed. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, glennbtn said:

We do usually go to the Buffett but we have found on the Britannia that on Sea days it can be som busy your can't find a table, and with Iona being even bigger we want a backup alternative . On port days we are usually up early watching the ship dock and then hit breakfast about 6:30 and off the ship asap to explore.

Never had a problem finding a table in buffet at any time breakfast, lunch or dinner in Arvia over 14 days

So when I say it was calmer at the quays it's only in comparison to the buffet 

In comparison to other cruises I have been on the buffet was less busy on Arvia than any other cruise I've done

Always plenty of tables available and never more than 2 or 3  people queuing in front of you for anything at the most

Must be better laid out buffet than other  ships

It may be a bigger ship but must have better layout and more tables and serving places than smaller P and Os

We've done azura and brittannia before

Edited by Interestedcruisefan