Food and dining on P&O ships

Tablelamp

• Tablelamp changed the title to Main dining room Food on Ventura
1 minute ago, Tablelamp said:

How do you get information about the wine you choose?  And how do you order your wine?

Can't speak for Ventura but on Britannia you are given a wine list by your waiter.  You select and he sends another person over with the bottle - in our case a young man.  On one occasion the selected wine was unavailable and he was told to tell us the name of the substitute. It was efficient on our cruise and arrived promptly.  However I don't think if I'd wanted to discuss the wines either of these lovely men would have been able to tell me anything other than what was on the menu.

The Glass House waiters however still had an excellent knowledge of the wines they had for sale.

8 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Each to their own taste, but it seems very wasteful to put cheese on somebody’s plate unless you are sure it is what they are going to eat.  HEY HO!

Indeed. I don't like blue cheese for instance, so would always leave that...

23 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Well,as long it is not all British cheese, I will be OK.   I Prefer French cheese.

On Azura last September it was three small pieces of cheese, one was Stilton and I think that the others were Cheddar and Leicester. They were the same every evening apart from formal nights, when the Stilton was infused with Port wine.

• Thanks 2

Just had another thought about food service. On Aurora, the waiters in the mdr were asking everyone to choose their dessert at the beginning of the meal. I really don't like doing that so asked them to come back to me after the main course, which they did.

• Like 2

The choices of cheeses pre-pandemic were gradually becoming less.  Not surprised by the move to pre-plated.  On our last Iona cruise although the selection was not particularly inspiring (for me), the cheeses provided were nonetheless enjoyable.  However, I would prefer to choose my selection. 

• Like 1

Having read a lot of comments from various people, it seems to me that P and O are doing what their contract states and including food in the cruise fare.  However they do seem to be pushing you to their speciality restaurants which of course makes more money for them.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I am on Ventura for 35 nights.  I am beginning to wish I knew the current situation before I had paid my final balance.

Don't let the views of a few people (out of the thousands that cruise) prevent you from looking forward to and enjoying your cruise. We all have different views and there are thousands who have enjoyed their cruises. We were on Ventura in November, yes some things have changed, yes there have been some cut backs but this is no different to land based holidays. Did we still enjoy our cruise, yes absolutely, we went with an open mind and didn't allow ourselves to be influenced by any reviews we read. We are looking forward to our next cruise in March and the other cruises we have booked, all with P&O.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

To Get cruising again.

Thank you for your comments I do feel comforted. I am also on a cruise Ventura third of March

You have a lovely itinerary to look forward to. I wouldn't worry about comments.  Everyone has a different cruise even on the same ship.  I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time no matter how different it may seem at first. Go ahead with an open mind and positive attitude and all this concern will blow away on that lovely sea air!

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

Btw, the cheese course is no longer a choice from the cheese board - it is all pre-plated now.

Now that Wallace and Gromit are on some ships they may have the right cheese.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

You have a lovely itinerary to look forward to. I wouldn't worry about comments.  Everyone has a different cruise even on the same ship.  I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time no matter how different it may seem at first. Go ahead with an open mind and positive attitude and all this concern will blow away on that lovely sea air!

We are on Azura in 4 weeks. Plane seats booked. Gatwick parking booked . Claim form downloaded. Nearly ready.😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Britboys said:

Btw, the cheese course is no longer a choice from the cheese board - it is all pre-plated now.

But you could choose the crackers!

Would say overall the food when we cruised in September was better than previous.  Thankfully croquettes with every main had gone

• Thanks 1