Food and dining on P&O ships

Tablelamp

12 hours ago, cheshire said:

Sadly for me and a few others the apparent removal of afternoon tea from MDR is a major disappointment.   In the buffer it’s whipped cream which may suit some but for me it simply has to be clotted cream.  

We will try Epicurean and have a lighter evening meal 

Pleased to say that it wasn't whipped cream in the Horizon on Aurora last Summer. It was either clotted or very thick double. I was pleasantly surprised. The cake selection however was a bit dull and repetitive.

• Like 2

With only a few days to go until our cruise on Arvia, I'm still waiting to poentionally book into the Beach House before we go via My Cuise thingy. It has said 'coming soon' for days. Is anyone else getting this, or is it a book when you are on board via the ships app etc.

Also any recommendations for the food would be appreciated 

Thanks Graham F

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Pleased to say that it wasn't whipped cream in the Horizon on Aurora last Summer. It was either clotted or very thick double. I was pleasantly surprised. The cake selection however was a bit dull and repetitive.

We had afternoon tea in the buffet on Iona in October and it wasn't whipped cream, don't think it was clotted cream either, but it was quite acceptable.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cheshire said:

Sadly for me and a few others the apparent removal of afternoon tea from MDR is a major disappointment.   In the buffer it’s whipped cream which may suit some but for me it simply has to be clotted cream.  

We will try Epicurean and have a lighter evening meal 

You may be disappointed. It said clotted cream but definitely wasn't. Also it was whipped so much there was no substance 

I note that tiger prawns were served in the Epicurean but at an extra charge.  I am sad  that ordinary prawns have been removed from the (Included food) in the MDR. Obviously, a cost cutting issue.   They are very cheap to buy at Iceland shops, and P and O must be able to buy them even cheaper.  I actually live in a place that regularly catches shellfish AND THE QUALITY is excellent.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Somerset Cruiser said:

In short, changable. Bear in mind it's buffet staff waiting tables. 

Thank you.

You wonder why then they make such a big deal about the menu and the wines paired with each dish if there is no one competent there to serve them.

I have this booked for both formals, we will see how the first night goes and decide about the second. Also depends on any queues for the MRD as a factor as well. 

4 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

We are onboard and the MDR menu has deteriorated in 12 months. Best meal by far was Beachhouse last night, fillet with prawns was excellent, but you pay for it..Service is slow, not enough staff. 

Is it just the choices that have changed or the food quality?

7 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

But reduces the buffet capacity, causing issues there too.

Are you sure about Beach House?  On our last cruise on Iona, the Captains table took a huge chunk of the port side buffet but the Beach House was on the starboard side.  When we tried to access the buffet from the Sky Dome on formal night, we were not allowed through the Beach House section but had to walk through the Chef's table section, much to the dismay of all the black tie guests.

Thanks for the info. I will attempt to book the Beach House for the Celebration night, the only problem being what is celebration night on that itinerary. The sea days are days 2 and 4

26 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Is it just the choices that have changed or the food quality?

Both. I don't want to be negative but it's how I see it. Very little seafood of any type and although we have found something to eat every day, it is underwhelming. Others may disagree, each to their own. An example in Horizon is curry, always a P&O standard and with poppadoms, chutney etc. Yesterday it was a try of rice and a dish of curry, looking very plain and uninviting. Tasted okay but not what used to be served.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

I note that tiger prawns were served in the Epicurean but at an extra charge.  I am sad  that ordinary prawns have been removed from the (Included food) in the MDR. Obviously, a cost cutting issue.   They are very cheap to buy at Iceland shops, and P and O must be able to buy them even cheaper.  I actually live in a place that regularly catches shellfish AND THE QUALITY is excellent.

The prawns are lovely and large that are used in the Thai curry in the Quays, which is an included venue. 

Agree, this is not a MDR experience, but still pleasant 

Edited by alpha whiskey
  • Like 3

Nothing new with regards to quality of food or portion sizes on P&O. I once requested lamb for my entree in MDR once on Oriana. When it arrived I honestly thought they had forgotten to put it on the plate, I lifted a boiled potato and there it was hiding. I asked the waiter if I could have more lamb and he said I can have as much vegetables as I want but he cannot authorise extra meat he would have to speak to maitre'd.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

I wonder if the chef's onboard are happy and have job satisfaction serving some of the crap meals I have seen on pictures of meals currently being served.

I have posted plenty of very tasty and quality food pictures from 

Epicurean.

Sindhu.

Glass house.

• Like 1