Food and dining on P&O ships

Tablelamp

2 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

Harry, my friend has just emailed me and said there is no shellfish even in the lunch buffet and I know from past cruises that it was always featured.  Two possible reasons.

1. It is a P and O cutback.

2. P and O consider it a cause of upset tummies.  It this is the reason, I’m surprised I’ve managed to reach my eighties.

Certainly, it is worth asking the Maitre D if it could be provided, it’s not as if it were expensive.

They do a great Prawn Thai curry at the Quays. 😋

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Might be worth their asking, Sarah, if they can provide a prawn cocktail as an option. Things may well have changed, but it always used to be available on request, regardless of the printed menu options.

Thanks Harry. I've text my Dad and he says that he will ask.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think I’m out of date, unfortunately - though worth a try. Just read a post on another thread saying it’s no longer possible - another cost cutting measure.

Oh well, no harm asking and he even if he doesn't get a prawn cocktail he might find out why they aren't available.

It would be instructive what the passenger daily food spend allocation is on P&O compared with Princess. I imagine they won't tell us.

They have probably reduced it to save money. Expect baked beans, fish fingers and chicken nuggets to feature in the MDR soon 😈

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, davecttr said:

It would be instructive what the passenger daily food spend allocation is on P&O compared with Princess. I imagine they won't tell us.

They have probably reduced it to save money. Expect baked beans, fish fingers and chicken nuggets to feature in the MDR soon 😈

In some respects I would prefer something simple but made really well. I draw the line at chicken nuggets but a decent fish finger sandwich with good bread, homemade tartar sauce and a side salad would be fine for lunch and cheap for the company.

It would be interesting to know what the daily food spend was per capita. While there will be economies of scale prices have risen so much recently for basic food items it must be having an effect on the bottom line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

In some respects I would prefer something simple but made really well. I draw the line at chicken nuggets but a decent fish finger sandwich with good bread, homemade tartar sauce and a side salad would be fine for lunch and cheap for the company.

It would be interesting to know what the daily food spend was per capita. While there will be economies of scale prices have risen so much recently for basic food items it must be having an effect on the bottom line. 

Chicken nuggets aren't something we would have, but a few years ago we had our granddaughter with us and went to kids tea. The nuggets were chicken breast and in batter and I was impressed they weren't skimping on the kids food. She ate them all so I didn't get to try one! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

I hope so that's my favourite dish fish fingers chicken nuggets and baked been 😋

• Haha 2

Sadly for me and a few others the apparent removal of afternoon tea from MDR is a major disappointment.   In the buffer it’s whipped cream which may suit some but for me it simply has to be clotted cream.  

We will try Epicurean and have a lighter evening meal 

Shell fish has been a particular issue sourcing in large quantities. Yes its more expensive, but the quality has also been poor. I know no more than that on the issue.

Talking with one of the Food & Beverage managers its certainly no longer the case that first formal night is Lobster night!

• Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Can anybody explain what this is please and is it on all ships?

It's only on Iona and Arvia, and takes place in a dedicated part of the buffet on black tie nights. Dress is formal and it is an included restaurant which has a limited number and needs pre booking.

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It's only on Iona and Arvia, and takes place in a dedicated part of the buffet on black tie nights. Dress is formal and it is an included restaurant which has a limited number and needs pre booking.

and the rest of the time it is the Beach House in the evenings

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Does the Beach house not operate at all then on black tie nights?

No because it becomes the Captains Table. Irritating for those who used the Beach House on formal nights to avoid the dressing up. It also may make the MDR's capacity problems easier.

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

No because it becomes the Captains Table. Irritating for those who used the Beach House on formal nights to avoid the dressing up. It also may make the MDR's capacity problems easier.

But reduces the buffet capacity, causing issues there too.

Are you sure about Beach House?  On our last cruise on Iona, the Captains table took a huge chunk of the port side buffet but the Beach House was on the starboard side.  When we tried to access the buffet from the Sky Dome on formal night, we were not allowed through the Beach House section but had to walk through the Chef's table section, much to the dismay of all the black tie guests.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

But reduces the buffet capacity, causing issues there too.

Are you sure about Beach House?  On our last cruise on Iona, the Captains table took a huge chunk of the port side buffet but the Beach House was on the starboard side.  When we tried to access the buffet from the Sky Dome on formal night, we were not allowed through the Beach House section but had to walk through the Chef's table section, much to the dismay of all the black tie guests.

I have it booked but it sounds like I will essentially be sitting in a buffet corridor with lots of people wandering past?

While I knew it was part of the buffet dressed for the occasion, it doesn’t sound as “special” as they try to make it sound. The only benefit appears to be a definite time to eat on the formal nights which are always busy in the MDR on any ship.

The menu however looks nice.

Can anyone who has done it comment on how good the food and wine service were please. We fancied doing a wine pairing with each course as per the menu.

31 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I have it booked but it sounds like I will essentially be sitting in a buffet corridor with lots of people wandering past?

While I knew it was part of the buffet dressed for the occasion, it doesn’t sound as “special” as they try to make it sound. The only benefit appears to be a definite time to eat on the formal nights which are always busy in the MDR on any ship.

The menu however looks nice.

Can anyone who has done it comment on how good the food and wine service were please. We fancied doing a wine pairing with each course as per the menu.

Does anyone know if you can book it for both formal/celebration night on Iona or if you are limited to just the one?