Carnival Corporation Adding Starlink Internet to Ships

JT1962

56 minutes ago, barriechris said:

That would explain the internet price increase most likely.

SHHHHHH.  Don't let John Heald hear this, but Carnival's internet prices are less than on other lines I've been looking at.  

However, even Carnival's "low" prices seem kind of steep.  Especially for a product that barely works, and often doesn't work at all.

I'm anxiously waiting to see what kind of effect this will have on speed and reliability.  

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, groundloop said:

SHHHHHH.  Don't let John Heald hear this, but Carnival's internet prices are less than on other lines I've been looking at.  

However, even Carnival's "low" prices seem kind of steep.  Especially for a product that barely works, and often doesn't work at all.

I'm anxiously waiting to see what kind of effect this will have on speed and reliability.  

Princess is cheaper - especially with status.

I think this announcement is great, but the devil is in the details.

43 minutes ago, BigCountry76 said:

Any idea which ships have it or what the rollout schedule is?

I don't think any of us outsiders know yet.  Here's the official Carnival Corporation press release:

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-corporation-expands-next-generation-wi-fi-connectivity

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Madhatter12 said:

I think the celebration all the reviews said that the Internet was fast.

I know the Panorama has it on for the pilot program. The Celebration internet was very fast but word was it wasn't Starlink. It was a combination of more bandwidth and routers located all over the ship, including the balconies. 

This is great news for people like me who work remote, are allowed to work from anywhere but the dodgy and inconsistent ship internet (especially with video meetings) made it stressful to work from. 

Edited by ohioNCLcruiser
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, ohioNCLcruiser said:

The Celebration internet was very fast but word was it wasn't Starlink. It was a combination of more bandwidth and routers located all over the ship, including the balconies. 

Yes, the internet was already much faster on Mardi Gras as well, so this should only help even more.

4 hours ago, ohioNCLcruiser said:

I know the Panorama has it on for the pilot program. The Celebration internet was very fast but word was it wasn't Starlink. It was a combination of more bandwidth and routers located all over the ship, including the balconies. 

This is great news for people like me who work remote, are allowed to work from anywhere but the dodgy and inconsistent ship internet (especially with video meetings) made it stressful to work from. 

While I'm not saying this applies to you... I'd bet that the number of people "working" remotely while taking a cruise... has a lot to do with why employers are eager to get them back into the office.

6 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

While I'm not saying this applies to you... I'd bet that the number of people "working" remotely while taking a cruise... has a lot to do with why employers are eager to get them back into the office.

I started and ran a business for 20 years on a laptop and cellphone. Took many calls at sea and around the world. 

I sold my biz, retired and just when I thought I'd be able to travel without my phone, Carnival dreams up the Hub App

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, barriechris said:

That would explain the internet price increase most likely.

Hopefully. People were really up in arms about the second increase in less than a year, but if it's for starlink service i'd say the price is still more reasonable than their competition.

We just cruised on Royal with starlink and it was awful. We had a conversation with a woman who worked in the art gallery and was fairly new onboard and she was saying it was the worst internet she’s ever had on any ship she’d worked on. Hopefully they work the kinks out soon! 

13 minutes ago, CruiseBride926 said:

We just cruised on Royal with starlink and it was awful. We had a conversation with a woman who worked in the art gallery and was fairly new onboard and she was saying it was the worst internet she’s ever had on any ship she’d worked on. Hopefully they work the kinks out soon! 

From just a couple of articles I've read (last year), it would seem that Starlink may have issues delivering on what was promised/touted. As demand increases, service will suffer (as one might imagine).

Tom

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
24 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

From just a couple of articles I've read (last year), it would seem that Starlink may have issues delivering on what was promised/touted. As demand increases, service will suffer (as one might imagine).

Tom

You can bet it will be another cluster buck. I scan social media looking for satellite dishes. It's a hobby I recently returned to. Tons of used starlink  dishes out there.

22 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

You can bet it will be another cluster buck. I scan social media looking for satellite dishes. It's a hobby I recently returned to. Tons of used starlink  dishes out there.

Speaking of satellite dishes --- that takes me back to the "C-band" days of 10+ foot dishes w/actuators. Oh what a wonderful arc it was, especially when you went to the dark side and installed modded chips.  🙂

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor
6 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Speaking of satellite dishes --- that takes me back to the "C-band" days of 10+ foot dishes w/actuators. Oh what a wonderful arc is was, especially when you went to the dark side and installed modded chips.  🙂

Tom

Yup, I've been found out. FTA is the way to go. I had fun with an old emulator machine I built back in the day. KU Band is on the rise.

Edited by BasicSailor

From Brand Ambassador John Heald's post today:

Many of you wrote yesterday asking about the news that we would add Starlink Internet services to our ships and for more news on this.

The timeline and specific rollout across the CCL fleet has not been finalised. We are excited about the prospects for this agreement but I have no further details just yet.

• Like 1

I sailed on MSC, Carnival and Royal last year and was able to work remotely a few days using the basic internet plan on their ships. The only ship that required me to upgrade to premium to work remotely was the Starlink-enabled Celebrity Beyond. I hope that was a fluke. (I went to the iLounge and the employee confirmed I would need to upgrade. He logged on as himself, with premium, and I was able to open what I needed to for work, so I bought the upgraded plan for 24 hours.) It was disappointing. Hope this won’t be the case on Carnival. I was able to work four consecutive sea days en route to Hawaii in February on a Carnival ship without missing a beat.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, groundloop said:

My guess would be that it gets installed on ships as the rotate through dry-dock.  Maybe someone who knows more details about what's involved in making the switch can shed some light on it.

Royal Caribbean Group has been able to upgrade their ships "on the fly" without needing drydock