Frequency Of Dinner In The Buffet

CHEZMARYLOU

How Often Do You Eat Dinner In The Buffet?  

381 members have voted

1. 1. This is one of the hottest threads on CC right now so I'm curious. How often do passengers eat dinner in the buffet on the average 7 day sailing.

• I eat in the buffet for dinner every night.
    • On a 7 day sailing 3 to 6 nights.
    • On a 7 day sailing 1 or 2 nights.
    • I don't eat dinner in the buffet.

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

I personally like the bolded ONLY.  And the fact that you needed to make it clear your opinion about OVC diners.  

And, there it's not fascination with the OVC, it's lifestyle.  As I know we've both stated before, we don't enjoy the 2+ hour slog of the MDR.  I'm not sure why people don't understand that not everyone likes that.

• Like 6

I think having some made to order stations like pasta, stir fry, grilled meat and veggies along with salad, cheese, bread and dessert would be the way to go for Celebrity to accommodate those who want a quick, made to order dinner.  We might even try it on an evening when we are not too hungry. Having food sitting around in steam trays is something we would not want.  I'm sure Celebrity could come up with something to change it up over the course of a cruise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bonagrad said:

53% at least once.  17% 3-7, which for 3,000 people is 510 people, which is probably about the total number per night across the stated groups.  That's not an insignificant number of people.  Using a mostly made-to-order concept, there is a lot they could do and still reduce cost and waste.

5 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Fire up the grill, pasta and stir fry station with salad and soup , very little waste 

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I think having some made to order stations like pasta, stir fry, grilled meat and veggies along with salad, cheese, bread and dessert would be the way to go for Celebrity to accommodate those who want a quick, made to order dinner.  We might even try it on an evening when we are not too hungry. Having food sitting around in steam trays is something we would not want.  I'm sure Celebrity could come up with something to change it up over the course of a cruise.

Which is why team "They're just reducing waste" is off their rocker. 

Pasta:literally cheaper than the roundoff error for the budget on any given sailing. 

Grille station: thaw what you think you need, plus 10%. Get it wrong and it'll still be good tomorrow. 

In hindsight, our Infinity sailing in November was probably starting in on cutbacks.  DW wanted to dine outside at the sunset, but I noticed they didn't have a grille station open.  Another night, same thing. She had pasta for dinner while I wandered around a decently outfitted buffet and eventually had a collection of disappointment for dinner. The grille station was open but serving so-so burgers 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, D C said:

Which is why team "They're just reducing waste" is off their rocker. 

Pasta:literally cheaper than the roundoff error for the budget on any given sailing. 

Grille station: thaw what you think you need, plus 10%. Get it wrong and it'll still be good tomorrow. 

In hindsight, our Infinity sailing in November was probably starting in on cutbacks.  DW wanted to dine outside at the sunset, but I noticed they didn't have a grille station open.  Another night, same thing. She had pasta for dinner while I wandered around a decently outfitted buffet and eventually had a collection of disappointment for dinner. The grille station was open but serving so-so burgers 

I agree, but I'm just working with what they're feeding me.  Two of the three times I've talked to the "Executive" admins, they stated that the changes were largely due to waste.  So, if they want to use waste as a reason, we can point our why the happy medium we've suggested reduces waste.  Use their buzz words and maybe that'll get more attention! 

Edited by bonagrad
  • Like 1

In December on Edge they had a station open in OV that made Gyros to order one night and then another night they had these delicious India wraps made to order.  Those 2 nights were the only nights I saw this station being used.  I kept asking when they would have those wraps again.  They could change up a station in OV that is made to order food and not have waste and make us NOT mdr people happy. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cruising Cindy Lou said:

In December on Edge they had a station open in OV that made Gyros to order one night and then another night they had these delicious India wraps made to order.  Those 2 nights were the only nights I saw this station being used.  I kept asking when they would have those wraps again.  They could change up a station in OV that is made to order food and not have waste and make us NOT mdr people happy. 

Princess does that.  They have a different made to order station nightly.  One night it'll be Mexican, the next night ramen, the German, etc.  It's really nice.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, D C said:

She had pasta for dinner while I wandered around a decently outfitted buffet and eventually had a collection of disappointment for dinner.

Celebrity Cruises - A Collection of Disappointment for Dinner℠

It's brilliant, DC, brilliant!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2023 at 5:47 AM, MISTER 67 said:

69 cruises and close to 600 cruising days and have only had dinner twice in the buffet and that was because of long tours in Rome and Florence back in 2007. We didn't return to the ship until 8:30 both nights and missed our early sitting dinner. 

Don't know how many nights/cruises we have done but we are elite plus...so we have a lot of days..

We have NEVER eaten in the MDR! (we did one night in a pay restaurant when we had a "free" one from our travel agent)

It goes to show cruising is conducive to many different traveling patterns.

• Like 2

It depends on a couple of factors. How long is the cruise? On a 7 night voyage we probably eat dinner only once in OVC. On a 10 night plus then probably twice. Also if it's a European cruise with late ports then we're more likely to go to the buffet.

Last night on Apex there a smaller buffet than I saw last summer same ship. Salad bar, sandwiche bar, roast chicken and half dozen steam table Asian style dishes.   Deserts. All looked good 

Same number of people eating that I normally saw last year about 50-60. 

if you are just looking for something to eat after a long day you will be fine. If you are looking for a OV lunch buffet but at dinner you will not be happy. They should probably add a stir fry or pasta station to give some choices. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2